Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diana 280 or 34?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    I bought a fettled 280 off of here. Lovely rifle, in fact I was shooting it this morning, along with my SFS 95 and there's very little between them, possibly the trigger is a tad better on the tuned 95, although the T06 compares well to standard Rekords. It took me a little while longer to find the best pellet for it though (Superdomes).
    Thanks... Been thinking about a 280 for a while. Been down the HW95 and 99 road, but fancied trying something different. I like the slimline classic look of it...

Cheers,
    Tim

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by bill57 View Post
    My 280 was brand new last year. Terrible barrel droop, barrel bent to the left, scope rail was not central on the cylinder, and the breech throat was cut off centre. Was sent straight back, I will never buy another Diana.
    Yup, new ones are pretty shoddy when compared to AA, HW or SMK
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I have a 280 in .22 and a 34 in each calibre. All full length rifles. The 34 is only very slightly larger than the 280 in overall size. Both handle very nicely and feel similar in that respect. Remember the 280 has fibre optic sights.
    The firing cycle is different, due to the different stroke lengths. Not at all sure what I prefer. Like them both. I think the 34 suits .177 cal very well. All of mine are mild mannered but I've read the 280 carbine can be less so in .177.
    All of mine seem well built, with good bluing and with none of the faults described above. You may well find it devoid or short of factory lubrication, though.
    I think you would be happy with either model, although the 34 Premium undoubtedly looks to best.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Yup, new ones are pretty shoddy when compared to AA, HW or SMK
    Oh dear!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I have a 280 in .22 and a 34 in each calibre. All full length rifles. The 34 is only very slightly larger than the 280 in overall size. Both handle very nicely and feel similar in that respect. Remember the 280 has fibre optic sights.
    The firing cycle is different, due to the different stroke lengths. Not at all sure what I prefer. Like them both. I think the 34 suits .177 cal very well. All of mine are mild mannered but I've read the 280 carbine can be less so in .177.
    All of mine seem well built, with good bluing and with none of the faults described above. You may well find it devoid or short of factory lubrication, though.
    I think you would be happy with either model, although the 34 Premium undoubtedly looks to best.
    Thanks for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    Oh dear!!!

Buy a used one from a year or two back, but remember a ball detent will never match the Hw lock-up

I've got both in .177 and I like em , both were bone dry when purchased but relatively easy to fix that. The 34 is a bit hold sensitive but accurate once mastered the 280 less hold sensitive but just as accurate neither have had out more than lube and a check over .

Barryg is online now Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Buy a used one from a year or two back, but remember a ball detent will never match the Hw lock-up
    LOL You must be joking especially the new HW's with the star breech and the screw on lock up bits.

The 34 has one of the best breech and barrel hinge set ups of all the break barrels, (the most robust also)

Metal to Metal cylinder to breech barrel stop and seal,

Twin spring ball catch,

Properly machined block to take bearing washers and a hardened steel sleeve for the barrel hinge bolt.

And even the new 34's once tuned like SFS does (Watch the video) will easy match or better a New HW

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    LOL You must be joking
    Nope. They're poop. In fact, as almost every one I've seen or owned has had a degree of barrel droop, I would go as far as to say Poop on toast!

Nope. They're poop. In fact, as almost every one I've seen or owned has had a degree of barrel droop, I would go as far as to say Poop on toast!
    Here is a first for you then as you have been so unlucky I am pleased that everyone dont agree with you like SFS and lots of other pros. I admit that they are not like the old ones but neither is HW

Meh! You'd stick up for them whatever, ain't exactly compelling evidence is it?
    With the one's from the last few years I think it's simply a combination of the breech seal and ball detent preventing the angled breech from seating the same every time.

As a current owner of a 280, I'd say if you can't do basic tuning, I'd leave alone, if you can I'd buy one in full length and .22. Good bits...trigger, stock, build quality. Bad bits....crap/cheap open sights, plastic cylinder end cap and trigger guard. As a 99 alternative yes, but a 99 beater probably not.

Meh! You'd stick up for them whatever, ain't exactly compelling evidence is it?
    With the one's from the last few years I think it's simply a combination of the breech seal and ball detent preventing the angled breech from seating the same every time.
    I have posted some evidence with the pictures that I have posted but have not seen any of your pictures that show any difference, also I have admitted that the new ones might not be the same as the old ones but have you seen the evidence from the SFS 34 video and that is a new one.

The angled breech can be awkward but once adjusted its the best, and more robust

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I have posted some evidence with the pictures that I have posted but have not seen any of your pictures that show any difference
    Here's mine then.

Didn't mean to start a........ FIGHT!!!!!

Why can't someone just produce a sensibly priced light to medium weight break barrel that we can all agree is great (and doesn't eat itself)?

Just like how we can all agree that a TX is the best underlever.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen an Air Arms break barrel thread for at least 6 months...