Thread: Ben Turpin eyes

Ben Turpin eyes

I must be the proud owner of a set of these, because every scope I get, I have to pack the rear mount to allow me to get enough elevation at longer distances (apart from my sportsmatch single piece jobbies, which are adjustable without packing the mounts). Anyway, I digress>. Am I alone in this optical affliction? It just seems odd that it happens with every scope I've ever had.

Well I thought it was a reasonable sort of question. Never mind I'm used to being ignored.

Paul Hudson Guest
    Ken - take a close look at my Dommie and my 97K. I think you'll find that there's at least me and thee with this "affliction"

Paul.

I always pack my rear mount when I fit a new scope. This seems to be more of the normal with precharged than with springers don't ask me why
    Dave

Me too - it gave me a good excuse to chop up the wedding negatives

Dave.

Paul Hudson Guest
    I thought it was the wedding guests that you chopped up...

Vewwy, vewwy, stwaynge innit? I've Noticed even the indomitable IT packs his leups. So who's at fault: gun manufacturers, scope manufacturers, mount manufacturers, or have we all been "Turpined" behind our backs by the antis?

Also Dave eh? At least I'm in illustrious company (especially when I'm on my own)

Paul Hudson Guest
    I must admit that I've never really thought about it. It's just something that I've gotten used to doing when necessary.

For example, that Meopta Artemis that I had on the Shamal just went straight on, no packing on any rifle.

On the other hand, my B&L has always had to be packed no matter what the rifle - except for when it was on the TX200...?!?

Time to try to get a research grant

Paul.

Do you reckon it could be that the scopes were originally designed for bullet guns with a flatter trajectory, therefore not needing same elevation? Like some scopes need re-parallaxing for close ranges ? By George, that just might be it dontcha know!

Gary C Guest
    Yes..

Paul Hudson Guest
    Thanks you two reprobates

And there was me just composing an email to various scientific institutions trying to beg in the name of research...

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hudson
    I thought it was the wedding guests that you chopped up...
    Shhhhhhhh

I don't have to pack the scope on my Zenith. Mr Murphy machined a slight angle in the dovetails cos he's a clever chap

Dave.

A Zenith ya crafty bugger? Haven't seen that yet. Oh the joys of new toys!

Quote Originally Posted by bowl bugle
    A Zenith ya crafty bugger? Haven't seen that yet. Oh the joys of new toys!
    Ken - I've owned it for quite a while. Its not technically a Zenith though

It started life as a Daystate Huntsman Mk2 then had a few mods done to it by various people:-

BSA barrel, Whellam regulator, CR97 match trigger, trigger post and shoe from a AA Pro Target. Nick Murphy built an entire new top end for it (barrel shroud / silencer / breech / bolt) and fitted one of his light weight hammers. It also has a nice Paul Wilson stock.

The only part left from the Huntsman is the air cylinder.

So it says Zenith on the side but it isn't technically one.

It is one hell of a gun though

Dave.