Thread: Review of Huntsman Classic XL .22 FAC 30ft lbs

Review of Huntsman Classic XL .22 FAC 30ft lbs

Hi,
    Folks,
    I've recently purchased a new Daystate Huntsman Classic XL .22 FAC in 30ft lbs with Daystate moderator. After a couple of weeks ownership/pellet testing and hunting. I can confirm thats its one good looking and accurate rifle. Over 40shots it's averaging 870ft per second. After fitting a Mamba Lite Scope 4-16 by 44mm; I zeroed the rifle at 40yards (single hole groups) with JSB Exact Diablo 15.89grain pellets and finger nail size groups out to 50yards (haven't managed further due to windy conditions). I've been on a few short hunting trips producing 11rabbits and 7pigeons. The rabbits are head shots only and have all gone straight down no twitches nothing out to 45yards; some over penetrating. The pigeons were shot out at a distance of 40yards and were taken with heart & lung/body shots all were clean kills; and to my surprise a number of them went clean through body ( and yes I had a safe back stop). This is one light weight set up, and very accurate outfit; I can highly recomend this rifle to anyone looking to try FAC air rifles either for the first time or even those who are experienced in FAC and are just in the market for a new rifle. I would say that if the standard Huntsman Classic XL is this accurate; how much of an improvement have Daystate made to The Reagal? If you'd like to see pictures of my latest Huntsman Classic XL in FAC please click on the link below; you will find the rifle in it's walnut glory (pictures don't do it justice) and also in Jack Pykes English Oak camo it. Please feel free to post any comments or ask any questions about the rifle; if you want to PM me no problem I will answer all questions.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...0/P7040280.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...0/P7040283.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...0/P7200293.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...0/P7200292.jpg

Regards,
    Steve Harris.
    Daystate Huntsman Classic .22 sub 12lb & Huntsman Classic XL .22 FAC 30ft lbs

A gorgeous rifle. I think its a great idea having the same (or at least very similar) rifles in FAC and sub-12. If I were to get an FAC air rifle, that's what I would do.

Review of Huntsman Classic XL .22 FAC 30ft lbs Your Message Title:

Quote Originally Posted by oneseven View Post
    A gorgeous rifle. I think its a great idea having the same (or at least very similar) rifles in FAC and sub-12. If I were to get an FAC air rifle, that's what I would do.
    Hi oneseven,
    Thanks for the compliments about the air rifle; the photos don't actually do justice to the walnut stock. My previous sub 12lb Huntsman Classic in .22 was purchased in March 2010; since then Daystate have really upped their finish on their stocks the oiling was superb you could have stood a coin up in it, the oiling really had that much depth to it. The reason for choosing the same rifle in FAC was I've had 5back operations; and I new that my body could support The Huntsman Classic; so logic dictated that it would manage the XL version after all it's only a longer reservoir. 35 shots is more than enough for any hunting trip I've been on and shot to shot consistency is spot on. I contacted Daystate told them about my back problems and asked them if they could set a Huntsman Classic XL up to the following spec. I required the FAC air rifle to be capable of 875ft per second with a 16grain pellett; and capable of holding sub inch groups out to 60yards & a minimum of 30shots; their engineers stated FAC rifles aren't kept in stock their built to order so they can set The Huntsman XL (or any other model upto each individuals needs); in fact they bent over backwards to help; and answered all my questions. By choosing the Huntsman Classic and XL versions; both rifles feel the same in the shoulder/ balance as theirs only 2oz weight difference. This seems the logical solution rather than having to get used to two completely different rifles/outfits that will shoulder and balance differently; providing both rifles can be set to your requirements I'd advise other shooters to take this route.
    Regards,
    Stephen Harris.

nice gun, shame to cover the stock in tape.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    nice gun, shame to cover the stock in tape.
    Hi Growler,
    The stock is a nice piece of walnut. But as I do hunting I prefer to camo the whole rifle; as the corvids on my shoot are very cautious. At the same time it's protecting the stock from scratches and rain; the camo it kit can always be removed if I get fed up with it or I ever want to sell the rifle on (Yes like thats going to happen)! It's just down to each individuals taste; what suits one person doesn't suit everyone, but it is one hell of an accurate gun.

gorgeous looking rifles those

what are your opinions of the mamba lite?
    Some kind of high powered mutant prototype never considered for mass production
    Good deals: clicky.....

fac huntsman

I had the same idea and have both huntsman rifles set with the same scope and moderator, awesome gun lovely to look at and as accurate as you could wish for

i would recommend these rifles to absolutely anybody

Currently waiting for my ticket & have decided on exactly the same set up- Regal FAC & Mamba lite scope.
    I believe you can get the Regal in 30 or 40 ft lbs with a corresponding difference in the number of shots.
    Have you noticed much of a power curve? I'd be interested to know what advantage the 40ftlb version has given it will have fewer shots and will probably only be accurate with the heaviest pellets.

Review of Huntsman Classic XL .22 FAC 30ft lbs

Quote Originally Posted by TigerTim View Post
    Currently waiting for my ticket & have decided on exactly the same set up- Regal FAC & Mamba lite scope.
    I believe you can get the Regal in 30 or 40 ft lbs with a corresponding difference in the number of shots.
    Have you noticed much of a power curve? I'd be interested to know what advantage the 40ftlb version has given it will have fewer shots and will probably only be accurate with the heaviest pellets.
    Hi TigerTim,
    My Huntsman CLassic XL was purchased in June of this year; so it's the latest Classic model but without the Reagals Titanium Valve set up new stock ect. My Classic is set at 30lbs & and is pushing around 875ft per second with Exact Diablo 15.89grain pellets; variation over the whole fill is not worth worrying about when sighting in at 40 or 45yards it doesn't show up. My Classic XL came with a choice of 30lb & 35shots or 40lbs & 20shots. When you choose 30ft lbs you have a large range of pellets to choose from I like most people chose around 16grain but you can drop down to 14.5grain but a bit light in my opinion. Then again other people are using air arms 18grain pellets sucessfully; when I tried bisley mags 21.4grain my rifle didn't like them group wise & they were more of a lob in the air. Basically 40ft lbs rifles reduce pellet choice your looking at Bisley Mags or Weirauch Mags; as the amount of air going up the skirt of a 16grain pellet will probably blow it causing loss of accuracy. Also I've got Daystates Silencer on my Classic XL 30lbs & that makes considerably more noise than std sub 12ft lbs so heaven nows how much noise a 40ft lbs will make. At 50 yards with Exact Diablo pellets; the pellet goes through a rabbits head & also a pigeons body with heart & lung shot. I honestly don't believe there's any advantage in using 40lbs. The Regals internals have been tweaked & should produce a few more shots than my Classic XL in all honestly I'd stick to 30lbs. If you phone Daystate they will set the rifle at what you want I asked for 900ft per second which they set rifle at without a silencer fitted; but with silencer it's dropped to 875ft per second. Phil Price from A/World recomends 900-925ft with 16grain pellet & you won't go wrong.
    Feel free to PM me if any more questions
    Regards,
    Steve Harris.

I also have a 30fltb Huntsman but the classic version, i also run it on 16gn JSB`s.
    But regardless of the rifle I would say .22 @ 30ftlb is the best setup unless you go Ranger/Wolf at 50/60ftlb.
    My Huntsman gives me 30 shots to hunt with which is plenty, but the rilfe is brillient and IMO theres no need for a higher shot count 90% of the time. The Huntsman is a joy to use.

ATB

Matt
    .177 HW100 KT, Hawke Sidewinder 4-14x44 SR Pro, A&M Twink Modorator.

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    Really, really nice rifles. Nice job on the wrap too, but your shooting rest is a bit gay?
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

Thanks Steve & Matt
    Really useful info, much appreciated.

Question Daystate Regal

Hi Steve, got the same set up with my regal but have terrible accuracy problems/inconsistency, can you tell me what fill pressure your using as i think this may be where the problem lies. The regal is stickered at swp220 psi and i have tried it from there down to 190psi but still the same inconsistency using most big name pellets, grouping at 50yds can be two or three within 50 pence piece and then 3" apart, no clipping, pellets ok, air ok, at a loss for answers other than sell it!

Atvb. Kevin.
    The more people i meet, the more i like my dogs.

Skeeta - ave you tried the gun in single shot mode?
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.

Huntsman xl FAC

Hi I'm new to your forum.
    I've notice from this thread that your having accuracy problems with your XL huntsman.
    I am too. Mine is set at 30lbs/ft with swp of 190 bar.
    Just wondered if any of you chaps have succeeded in solving your problems since writing your posts, and if so how you have achieved it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Nigel