Thread: sidewheel rule and regs

Question sidewheel rule and regs

Hi i have just been having a mooch round on the web and i cant find anything as regards to maximum sidewheel sizes i was just wondering if therte is a maximum size or not
    Cheers James

JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    In respect of what? If it's FT then knock yerelf out, but if it's too big it'll get in the way. Most folks work with 4 or 5" wheels, but can be made bigger at the higher ranges by use of a "shark's fin" or "snailshell" wheel. If you're using a Leupold Competition, then the trend is to smaller wheels - 2.5" or 3".

Not sure if HFT limts you but you can't fiddle with the scope anyway, so ther's not much point in having the wheel.

Jerry

cheers fella

Sidewheels have no regulations as such, but Jerry is right. Put tooo big a side wheel on and the damn thing gets in the way.

For FT i've used a Hawke sidewinder with the supplied wheel. That was OK ish. A big 10-50x60 BSA, with a Barry Taylor Shark fin side wheel which was good. Now I use a Luep Comp 40, with a Jon Harris side wheel (5inch dia) with no problems.

It's worth having a google for some of the really crazy sidewheels out there. Some are absolutely nuts, but others are home made engineering master pieces.

The key would be a sidewheel of good diameter to get nice range distance markings between 55-45 yds, but provide the user with a comfortable access while dialing in the focus.

Al.