Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
I did a bit of tinkering and plinking today and if anybody is interested, this is what I did.
I have a .22 Tempest fitted with a Typhoon spring. I normally shoot with Milbro Caledonian pellets but have used Marksmen recently, which shoot ok but don't seem as good a fit as the Milbros. I did try Some Hobby pellets that John (the back half of Josie and John) sent me and found them to shoot ok.

I found a couple of mainsprings today. One was a broken round section one that came out of a Hurricane (Typhoon spring maybe?) and the other was a squre section spring that went in the gun ok so might be a Hurricane or Tempest one. I collapsed a coil on the broken spring and cleaned it up. I tried it and I seemed to be getting a fair few fliers. The point of impact had moved left as well. I did another coil with similar results. I guess the spring was now 5/8 to 3/4 shorter than standard. The gun did not feel particularly weak and it was easy to cock and the trigger was a bit lighter.
The Hobby pellets seemed best although the grouping was not brilliant.
I then tried the square section spring and the point of impact was also left, so maybe I had knocked the sights. The grouping was better but still not brilliant. The gun was harder to cock.
I went back to the Typhoon spring I had in the gun in the first place and the groupings had tightened up. I adjusted the sights and by the time I wrapped up I had put 6 pellets in a group the size of a bottle cap. I then shot 3 bottle caps. The pistol was shooting a fraction the the right but I left it at that.
I have a feeling that with a .177 rather than the .22 that collapsing 3 or 4 coils on a Typhoon spring might help as the .177 pellet will be lighter and travelling faster than the .22.
I prefer .22 and am happy with my £50 Tempest with the Typhoon spring
updating this ^ so it is in one place and makes it easier for someone to follow.
I got out my nieces Tempest today and fitted the cut down Typhoon spring in it. I gave it a fair old plink. Again I shot 2 handed, partly due to crap arms. not a good paper puncher and to kick off with, the sun was shining on the foresight. Also, the grips on the pistol are a bit wide for me.
I wasn't doing much kop at first but got better as the sun went round. I then started shooting at bottle caps on the ground at 7 1/2 yards. I had to aim in front of them a fraction which is never great or very easy to judge. I hit 24 out of 30. Oddly 4 of the misses (2 lots of 2) were after reset them and did not aim low enough. The other 2 misses were down to my arm being crap. I pulled them to the right.I knew I had missed right away as my arm hurt, which means struggled with the trigger pressure.
After that I had a plink back at the paper. The first 7 shots were ok but not great. Out of the next 12 shots, one was a flier due to a deformed skirt, but as I was shooting ok I thought "what the hell?". The other 11 went into a hole that a 5p piece covered .
So there you have it. I think in .177, just by using a cut down Typhoon mainspring and a bit of work on the trigger (this had only a little done) that you can get pretty good results. The pellets used were Milbro Caledonians.