Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Webley versus Steyr shock!!!!

You must bring it up to Rivi some time to let the Wobbly Fans, both of them, have a go with it.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thats a good idea Ian. You could sit in the naughty corner while we all play with our beautiful and deadly accurate Wobblies.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Thats a good idea Ian. You could sit in the naughty corner while we all play with our beautiful and deadly accurate Wobblies.
    Andy
    Have a little chat with I. J. about the reason for his post above - and keep clear of Hippo when you do
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    A bump for this thread----the Opening post is always worth reading.
    Has anyone actually managed to fit another sight on a Hurricane or Tempest?
    I have had a Webley Omega sight on one of my Hurricanes for some time now and it works well ( and it is metal - not plastic ).

The sight fits straight on with no problems as the two mounting holes on the Omega and original Hurricane sights are spaced exactly the same as each other.

I had no suitable screws to fix the sight to the Hurricane but I found the screws from an electrical socket are the correct thread and once cut down to a suitable length they work perfectly - but when looking down inside the locating sockets the chrome heads can be seen

I have not found an adjustable rear sight option to fit the Tempest - but it would be a really good update if something could be made to fit and work well.

.....even IJ would be impressed
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    .....even IJ would be impressed
    I........ doubt that. From what I've seen of his opinions on Webley products it seems a rather remote possibility. I'd be impressed though, enough to buy a couple, one for my .22" Tempest and one for my little brother's .177" Tempest. They're great fun for very approximate plinking and I have no illusions about an improved rear sight blade making them any more accurate, but getting rid of the screwdriver would save a lot of frustration when re-sighting for different ranges when out in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    but when looking down inside the locating sockets the chrome heads can be seen
    Just a thought Bob - matt black paint (Humbrol) or, even cheaper, smoke from a candle to leave a carbon deposit

This advice is free and carries no guarantee as to effectiveness......

HTH
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Or use a small torch or a gas flame on a stovetop and heat them until the polished heads turn blue, then quench in oil. A nice alternative to chemical bluing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Or use a small torch or a gas flame on a stovetop and heat them .....
    Or, seeing that its a 'Wobbly' pistol - a good furnace.

Hope that helps.
    Ian.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    A bump for this thread----the Opening post is always worth reading.
    Has anyone actually managed to fit another sight on a Hurricane or Tempest? Hwtyger mentioned to me via Pm he finds the sights a pain.

I tried a Crosman sight on the Hurricane but it is only held by one screw, which I am not keen on and you need screwdrivers to adjust it.
    I decided to have another go at the trigger to see what I could do. I have not finished off the home made grips yet and they felt a bit uncomfortable. After doing the trigger again, I am very happy with it. I actually managed to shoot one handed and hit bottle caps more often than not. This is quite a leap for me, as with my arms being bad, pulling the trigger on a pistol is a bit like trying to use a nutcracker with two fingers, at arms length.
    I think I prefer the Tempest to shoot, but micro adjustable sights would be a lot better. I don't really like the standard rearsight on the Hurricane either You feel that it should have a metal sight on it and something that gives a better picture.
    The foresights on the barrels never seem to be "straight and square" either, do they?

So---anybody fancy knocking up some decent sights for Tempests?

Another update. This gun has been sent to someone else to have a play with. It was sent with a spare trigger,sear and piston, and the original bits will be returned after sampling and tinkering. It was sent with the home made wooden grips, which I thought were too wide, but could obviously be trimmed down. I am waiting for updates on the trials. The slight stiffness in cocking has gone, after lubing with some mineral oil, although I think it is just a case of the thing wearing in. (I have often noticed abused Webley pistols have tiny nicks in the cocking slots and am reluctant to try to file or sand them too much).
    The grips have been slimmed down now and the later wider trigger blade fitted, which has not been fettled. I preferred the thinner one that had been worked on. It is reported that recoil is still there (It has to be I suppose with the laws of physics) but seems to be absorbed by the gun.
    I am curious as to how this all works out. I still think a Tempest with a decent set of adjustable sights would be a better balanced gun that a Hurricane.

Another slight update for now. A spare sear has been fitted to the pistol and it has been reported back to me that even by just cocking and uncocking the the pistol, you can tell the trigger has gotten worse. It is interesting, that this was even with the short stoked piston, which has less mainspring tension onto the sear. The spare sear will be worked on soon, using the modified on as a template.
    It is interesting to me to have someone else's perspective on this.
    I will update when I hear more.
    I have just updated this thread ^ but bumped it back in case any of the Webley boys are interested.
    The sear has now been worked on and the trigger is almost as good as the one I sent with the gun. It will be given another polish and oiling and left at that. The original piston will be tried, which I am guessing will make the trigger lighter as there will be less preload on the mainspring, but I expect some of the recoil will return.
    Last edited by ggggr; 20-10-2014 at 05:30 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Or, seeing that its a 'Wobbly' pistol - a good furnace.

Hope that helps.
    Ian.
    You can take my Senior into the furnace if you like - as long as you are holding it and stay with it until it is ready
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I have just updated this thread ^ but bumped it back in case any of the Webley boys are interested.
    Guy, with reference to an alternative sighting arrangement for the Tempest. If a small block/shelf could be screwed to the back using th screw hole for the current rear sight as a fixing point, would it be possible to install the rear sight from an El Gamo Falcon?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

---k off Jones !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    ---k off Jones !!!!
    Please forgive Andy - hes from up north. and a Webley pistol lover.

Jezzus, hes not a lot going for him then.

You have just reminded me that Paul (Hippo) still has one of my Premiers!!!!! Will beat it out of him tonight.

It's taken a while...but finally

the "anti wobbly Webley, Relum loving!" I. J. has been and gone and done it.

He's only bought a brand Harry Spankers in the box Webley pistol

Tested by the usually consistently high scoring Hippo at the club this morning at 10m, it was found to group in an area the approximate size of the 6 ring nowhere near the black when aiming at the top left corner to ensure hits on the card.

We await the results of lengthy pellet testing with interest and/or the acquisition of a new heavyweight teaspoon for the club.

Over to you I. J.