Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a decent pistol

looking for a decent pistol

I fancy a go at pistol shooting. Like the look of the Dan Wesson revolvers and such like. How accurate are they? I'd swap a 12 gauge needham side by side if anyone fancy a deal

In general a CO2 multishot pistol is best considered a "fun gun", avoid them if you're planning on target shooting.
    The Dan Wesson series are smoothbore bb shooters IIRC and so are even less accurate than most.

You might consider a single shot .177 target pistol, I've just bought a second hand Feinwerkbau 65 made in the 1970's, really well made, easy to shoot and no precharge necessary - just use the side cocking lever. Its also recoiless due to its clever design, mind you its still far more accurate than I am! Original/Diana and Walther also made competitive designs in the 70's which are still fun to shoot

As with all things airgun things can be modified . Although these are considered fun they can be very accurate . It is mainly that they are produced cheaply . Swop a barrel over and you get greater accuracy and or seriousness in play . There are a few people doing tuning here and on the umarexboysclub website .

Edited in Agreement :

The only category I have difficulty in taking seriously is anything with blowback ....this is never really blowback as with real firearms but more a replication of function using gas , which in all cases should be expanding behind the pellet . Great fun and I have a few blowbacks but only for informal shooting .

I would seriously consider a secondhand HW45.
    A springer pistol, that is very accurate (once you have mastered the knack - so always a good challenge), doesn't need expensive CO2 to keep it going, are very reliable, and for well under £150 you should be able to pick up a nice late one with fibre optic tru glo sights. Nice!

Also relatively powerful by pistol standards - my .22 does about 5.2ft/lbs using RWS hobby pellets, so longer range plinking can occur!

Cheers
    Mark
    Laminate stock HW100KT .177, HW100KT .22, HW95K luxus .22, BSA Meteor Mk3 .22, SMK Mod 12 .177, MAS 0.07 .177 BB CO2, Gamo P-23 CO2

Quote Originally Posted by HW100/90 View Post
    I would seriously consider a secondhand HW45.
    A springer pistol, that is very accurate (once you have mastered the knack - so always a good challenge), doesn't need expensive CO2 to keep it going, are very reliable, and for well under £150 you should be able to pick up a nice late one with fibre optic tru glo sights. Nice!

Also relatively powerful by pistol standards - my .22 does about 5.2ft/lbs using RWS hobby pellets, so longer range plinking can occur!

Cheers
    Mark
    Seconded - the HW45 is the best springer pistol ever made, use the standard 1911 combat hold and they are supremely accurate.

secretagentmole Guest
    You can have your spring powered HW45, or you can go SSP (Single Stroke Pneumatic) such as the Gamo Compact, Daisy Powerline, or MSP (Mult Stroke Pneumatic) such as the Crosman 1377 or 1322. These are very accurate target pistols.

If you want a balls to the wall tin can murdering hooligan then the humble Cybergun Tanfoglio Witness 1911 is an ideal choice!

No mention yet of one of the most accurate non target pistols out there the Webley Allecto which is acknowledged to be both very accurate and equal to the most powerful pistols allowed.

I own one of the Umarex Walther ppk copys, its easy to knock up a little backstop and shoot paper targets with reasonable accuracy at approx 8-10m. It operates in blowback fasion like the real ppk and is probably the closest I will come to one, above all ITS GOOD FUN. If its match target shooting(which Ive done) this wont be for for but if you like the look of the revolver style and its for fun as with me, just try to identify the best models that fit in your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbaker42 View Post
    No mention yet of one of the most accurate non target pistols out there the Webley Allecto which is acknowledged to be both very accurate and equal to the most powerful pistols allowed.
    Fair comment, Alecto and HW45 are chalk and cheese I think. You'll probably like one or the other....

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    Fair comment, Alecto and HW45 are chalk and cheese I think. You'll probably like one or the other....
    Just to be awkward, I have and like both
    Good deals with these members

Shot the Alecto and was impressed but the looks are just not for me.
    Traditionalist!

S & W 586, best Co2 Revolver out there, longer barrel the better. I got an 8 inch one older shinny finish one and it is spot on accurate at 10m. Shooting it classic match style (one hand) in single action I average 44 to 45 out of 50 with a PB of 48 ex 50 with it. It surpised a lot of people with a lot more expensive guns. Before someone points out it's not a true target pistol, I agree it's not but it's accurate enough if you can hold it, triggger is good. Basic accuracy if you bench rest it, they all go in the ten and 10m. if you can master a revolver hold it's great, plus its good fun to shoot double action also and it looks great. whats not to like? I can hardly shoot any better with my "match" pistol, which is an Original 10 from 1977, but that's another story. 50 shots out of a Co2, it not expensive to run. get one.

Well if we're going down that route, I'm impressed with my 3576W Crosman - £65 - shoots very well and very accurate considering what it is.