Thread: Turkish Tempests

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Sounds like a weaker spring could be my first modification as I really hate over-sprung air weapons - I am told the Typhoon spring fits and is a little kinder on the mechanics and should help the 10 meter accuracy.

When the pistol arrives I should have some fun with the back to back testing.
    Hi,

I would estimate the effort to cock my Turkish Tempest as about the same as my Mk1s but quite a bit more than a Senior or a Premier. I shot it again last night (single hand unsupported) and can fairly consistently hold the black aiming mark on the NSRA 10 metre precision target (60mm) which is about what I can usually achieve with my Premier or more significantly with my FAS 604. I must admit that it's much easier with the FAS but maybe not as enjoyable.

Regards

Brian

I stripped and lubed my own "proper" Tempest last Friday. It wasn't bad before, but it now shoots much more smoothly. Still not in the same league as my Premier/Mk 1 that I also lubed up at the same time though. I shot a fellow club members Turkish offering a couple of months back. The gun was very "tight" and needed a good running in, it also kicked like the proverbial. Sure it will improve as it loosens off a bit though. I am just waiting for a cryptic comment from Mr Jones who has yet to fully appreciate the joys of Webley pistol ownership.

As John explained earlier in this post, they are great fun to use and own and are highly addictive. Something that represents all that was best about our own great gun making traditions, in my own opinion of course. If you are reading this and wondering about tracking down an example of these very collectable pistols, search one out. You will not be disappointed.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Tempests will never shoot anywhere néar the legal limit, either turk or uk.
    They're not made for it. They're shortrange plinkers. Wouldnt expect more than 3-4Ftp at best.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Tempests will never shoot anywhere néar the legal limit, either turk or uk.
    They're not made for it. They're shortrange plinkers. Wouldnt expect more than 3-4Ftp at best.
    In my experience Consistent muzzle velocities of 3-4 ft lbs are perfectly adequate to permit satisfactory groups at 10 metres or a bit further which would be much harder to achieve if energies of 5-6 ft lbs were generated. I have shot some of my best 10 metre groups using Webley pistols with fairly tired main springs which can't have been producing more than 2-3 ft lbs.

It's obviously a different matter If you are trying to knock over steel plates instead of punching holes in paper.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 29-07-2013 at 08:32 PM.

why would anyone buy anything from Turkey apart from a fez.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    why would anyone buy anything from Turkey apart from a fez.
    Because you can usually haggle over the price !
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

One other thing I noted in my brief ownership of the .22 Turkish Tempest was it's tight bore which meant having to use a seater to push the pellets onto the rifling before the barrel could be replaced prior to firing.

This is not the case with the .177 version which requires no aid to seat the pellet whatever brand is used. As with my other Webley .177 pistols, I have found H&N Match seem to perform best with RWS Hobby providing a cheaper alternative.

Regards

Brian

nikonf Guest

Tempest

Hi,
    Don't knock it until you've tried it?
    A name is a name only, and good quality Turkish is good, again then try and give an "honest" opinion ,not based on the name(Turkish), be objective
    ,not blinkered.
    You can buy a Rolex for £10,000 , and an Accurist for £300 and perhaps the Rolex is 10% better?
    Last edited by nikonf; 14-08-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    In my experience Consistent muzzle velocities of 3-4 ft lbs are perfectly adequate to permit satisfactory groups at 10 metres or a bit further which would be much harder to achieve if energies of 5-6 ft lbs were generated. I have shot some of my best 10 metre groups using Webley pistols with fairly tired main springs which can't have been producing more than 2-3 ft lbs.

It's obviously a different matter If you are trying to knock over steel plates instead of punching holes in paper.

Regards

Brian
    As a newcomer to air guns, I find all your comments above very interesting. I have a couple of CO2 pistols and wanted a springer for a quick plink - rather than going through a full CO2 and large number of pellets/BB's. Very pleased with the 0.177 Turkish Tempest (short review in the reviews forum), and although it may not be as good as the English version - it was readily available and brand new. In short range practice (4m) in the garage was initially somewhat random, but after adjusting the sights (on a rest then hand held), I learned that a firm hold is essential (to resist recoil) just prior to squeezing the trigger (gently). This way I am now consistently placing the pellet within a cm of my aim, with a less firm grip the pellet path was much more random. Without exception the pellets go deep into the target; no bouncing out as with the CO2 pistols, this suggests I can land the pellets in a more distant target (unlike my CO2's or a less powerful spring pistol). There is something very satisfying about using these springer pistols; slow to load they may be but you make every shot count. I am keeping a look out for a Premier in good condition at a fair price (not paying extra for the box); I like the fact that they can easily be stripped for repairs...unlike the Tempest.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    As a newcomer to air guns, I find all your comments above very interesting. I have a couple of CO2 pistols and wanted a springer for a quick plink - rather than going through a full CO2 and large number of pellets/BB's. Very pleased with the 0.177 Turkish Tempest (short review in the reviews forum), and although it may not be as good as the English version - it was readily available and brand new. In short range practice (4m) in the garage was initially somewhat random, but after adjusting the sights (on a rest then hand held), I learned that a firm hold is essential (to resist recoil) just prior to squeezing the trigger (gently). This way I am now consistently placing the pellet within a cm of my aim, with a less firm grip the pellet path was much more random. Without exception the pellets go deep into the target; no bouncing out as with the CO2 pistols, this suggests I can land the pellets in a more distant target (unlike my CO2's or a less powerful spring pistol). There is something very satisfying about using these springer pistols; slow to load they may be but you make every shot count. I am keeping a look out for a Premier in good condition at a fair price (not paying extra for the box); I like the fact that they can easily be stripped for repairs...unlike the Tempest.

Hi,

Glad you are enjoying your 'Turkish' Tempest and the unique experience of attempting to master spring powered air pistols brings.

The normally accepted method of shooting 'springers' is NOT to use too tight a grip but rather to let the pistol recoil naturally. This works well for me and I hold the pistol with about the same grip used when say tapping home panel pins or a relatively firm handshake. As I say, this is the normally given advice but as with all these things if something else works for you then great.

In my opinion the biggest single element in consistently producing good groups with any spring air gun is 'Follow Through' which ironically is probably the easiest to implement.

I have always been a die hard 'all steel' Webley fan and still prefer the traditional earlier form of manufacture but cannot deny that the modern alloy framed 'Turkish' Tempest does handle and shoot well.

Mine continues to perform accurately at 10 metres and now sports a nice pair of replacement wood grips which are slightly wider than the standard plastic set and consequently provide me with a more comfortable hold.

As far as 'Premiers go I would definitely recommend you go for an early all steel Mk1 model rather than an alloy Mk2. I have several examples of both the 'Premier' and 'Senior' and would be slightly biased toward the 'Premier' due to its adjustable trigger facility.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

Glad you are enjoying your 'Turkish' Tempest and the unique experience of attempting to master spring powered air pistols brings.

The normally accepted method of shooting 'springers' is NOT to use too tight a grip but rather to let the pistol recoil naturally. This works well for me and I hold the pistol with about the same grip used when say tapping home panel pins or a relatively firm handshake. As I say, this is the normally given advice but as with all these things if something else works for you then great.

In my opinion the biggest single element in consistently producing good groups with any spring air gun is 'Follow Through' which ironically is probably the easiest to implement.

I have always been a die hard 'all steel' Webley fan and still prefer the traditional earlier form of manufacture but cannot deny that the modern alloy framed 'Turkish' Tempest does handle and shoot well.

Mine continues to perform accurately at 10 metres and now sports a nice pair of replacement wood grips which are slightly wider than the standard plastic set and consequently provide me with a more comfortable hold.

As far as 'Premiers go I would definitely recommend you go for an early all steel Mk1 model rather than an alloy Mk2. I have several examples of both the 'Premier' and 'Senior' and would be slightly biased toward the 'Premier' due to its adjustable trigger facility.

Regards

Brian
    Brian, thank you, I appreciate your comments. Having looked up the subject of 'Follow Through' (said I was a newby) it seems that I must have been starting to develope that technique (unknown to myself). My mention of a 'firm grip' was probably an incorrect description of the developing skill to 'maintain the target on sight' until the pellet leaves the muzzle. For sure my aim is improving; I can not blame the equipment....just my concentration. Wood grips can indeed look very fine, and agree the stock grips are on the slim side. I have my eye on a Mk I Premier but the seller does not wish to post it...so I'll have to work on him.