Thread: Advice please, Bsa Airsporter mk2.

Advice please, Bsa Airsporter mk2.

Hello peeps.
    A very long time ago when I was 16 and doing my apprenticeship an older chap just divorced offered me the Airsporter for £35.00.
    I was allowed to take it home and try it out. I completely ignored the sales pitch quoting that it had killed a hare @ 100 yards.
    There was a problem with it however,probably the reason it had sat in his cupboard for years unused.
    It shot high,something like 4" at 25 yards with the rearsight fully lowered.
    It was ok with a scope though.
    I agreed to have it for £30.00 and was made to feel guilty by another chap who said the vendor really needed the cash.
    I later read in one of the airgun comics that a batch of rifles had left the factory with the wrong rearsights.
    I would like to verify that if anyone knows.
    The other thing is that on firing it sounds and feels as if the piston is slamming the end of the cylinder like there is no buffering at the end of the stroke.
    This rifle seemed to be ok for power and it scored a wood pigeon and several rabbits before I aquired an HW35.
    Any help in getting this running correctly would be much appreciated.

Bryan.

BRYAN only 2 things i can think of is bent barrel or loose action in the stock.Check your stock screws in the fore stock one each side , and the large one inside the palm grip. This is only thing i can think of .But you can get over both by purchasing a scope.The problen there is getting the right scope mounts @ 15mm if i am right.Let me know how you get on .

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Bryan, you can get various foresight inserts for these here;

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/ca...ter-Mk1-%26-2/

Sounds like you need a taller one, I had the same thing once and actually had to weld a bit on the foresight insert as I could not get one tall enough

Has it got the correct flip down rearsight? as I have seen them with MK1 or even Cadet rear sights, which would do what you describe.

Is it .177 or .22 as pellet selection is important, if .22 there are loads of threads on here regarding suitable pellets, many "modern" ones don't work well as 5.5mm instead of 5.6mm as the bore will be.

If .177, try a hobby or similar light and soft (sub 8g) pellet and see how it goes.

ATB, Ed

Gunman.

I had the rifle apart and looked right through and seemed straight.
    Also had scope fitted as that was the only way it was usable. In those days I could not afford german scopes so was rezeroing every five minutes.
    Definately had tight screws.
    I read somewhere years ago of wrong sights fitted to some airsporters.

Bryan.

Ed,

Definately hinged dropdown rearsight,so low that I was looking along the cyinder with the backblock almost interfering with the sightplane.
    I seem to remember only really using Ely Wasps being 5.6mm English calibre.
    Serial number is GD30821.

The other is mk1 number GB4903 with no dovetails and has sliding rearsight.

Iwill look into getting a taller foresight.

Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN3 View Post
    Definately hinged dropdown rearsight,so low that I was looking along the cyinder with the backblock almost interfering with the sightplane.
    I seem to remember only really using Ely Wasps being 5.6mm English calibre.
    Serial number is GD30821.

The other is mk1 number GB4903 with no dovetails and has sliding rearsight.

Iwill look into getting a taller foresight.

Bryan.
    There are several alternative pellets which will suit these guns, but I have settled on Vintage Defiants - you can find them on E8ay -which are 5,6 mm.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

I fancy.

I fancy I might fit one of my spare modern scopes to the mk2 and give it a go so as to try something that I could only dream of all those years ago.

Still need to grasp the clanky discharge though. I am sure it could benefit new rings or washers or something.
    I see that there appear to be different options nowadays with nylon or leather components.
    Has anyone made such conversions and got an opinion on this please.

Bryan.

Smile

I fancy I might fit one of my spare modern scopes to the mk2 and give it a go so as to try something that I could only dream of all those years ago.

Still need to grasp the clanky discharge though. I am sure it could benefit new rings or washers or something.
    I see that there appear to be different options nowadays with nylon or leather components.

Bryan.

Hello Bryan

If you want to fit a modern scope you'll have to buy the correct mounts, I think they measure something like 16mm rather than the more popular 11mm, that is- i'm assuming it's the mk2 Airsporter with the four short pressed out scope rails??

Also, you could do with reach back mounts unless you have the neck of a Giraffe!!

Like THIS

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Bryan.
    Personally, I don't think that an upgrade to the existing design is required or brings any significant benefits in these old ladies.

I would suggest you strip the gun and take a look at the cylinder and existing washer assembly to be sure all is ok.

If it is, then the washer will probably be dry and will benefit from a soaking in pure neatsfoot oil or similar.

Once you are sure that the washer is OK and properly lubricated, try firing a few times with the tap open to 'set' the washer and then follow up with with a well fitting pellet. If still harsh, then check whether the tap is leaking excessively by firing with a piece of tissue paper over the tap area. If it is then there is not a lot that can be done easily, other than using a thicker grease on it. After that, its all down to what engineering skills you have or can obtain.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.