Thread: Turkish Tempests

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi,

Thanks for posting your first impressions of the 'Turkish Tempest' which makes very interesting reading.

I must admit to being one of those 'purist' Webley enthusiasts whose interest was limited to all steel pistols produced up until the mid-seventies.

I never considered buying a Tempest and only picked up a 'Turkish' example on a whim just to see bad it was compared to my 'real' Webleys.

Like you, I have been pleasantly how well made and well these pistols actually perform.

I have owned mine for about 6 months now and can usually hold the black aiming area on the 10 metre precision target with an unsupported single handed hold.

Although I never intended to use it much when I first bought it, I now find myself shooting it on a regular basis and have even ordered a pair of wood grips as a bit of an upgrade.

Have you attempted to adjust the trigger weight on either version as it appears to have had no effect on either of the two 'Turkish' pistols I have encountered ?

Having said that, the triggers were really quite good straight out of the box and both broke quite crisply at a reasonable weight, so attempted adjustment was really only experimental.

Look forward to hearing how things progress once your pistol gets 'run in' a bit.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian,

I have not yet attempted to adjust the triggers of either of my Tempest pistols - but once the TT is run in fully I may take a look at this next and test that alongside the BT as well, although I must say that if the triggers on either pistol had caused me any concern I would have already had a go at it so I guess that tells it's own story.

The test was probably even more convincing in favour of the TT as the BT pistol was fitted with a nice wooden anatomical grip (!) whereas the TT was literally taken straight out of the box and the only two additions it had was a little use (one evening only) and a small spray of Napier gun oil which did make a huge difference to the cocking of the pistol and the ease of operation.

Both of my Tempest pistols will get some regular use and the BT will have the regular grips replaced before any further back to back testing is done - I am doing it now!

I have bought one of the wider triggers from Chamberlains and hope to fit it to the BT as I think this may help it compare more favourably with its Turkish made rival that already has one fitted as standard.

Maybe one day I will find one of the last of the British made .177 Tempest pistols in good condition for sale somewhere as these came with the wider trigger and may perhaps be a little closer to the Turkish model - this assumption being made on the guess that it would have been one of the latest types that was reverse engineered and copied?
    Last edited by zooma; 09-08-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.