Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkish Tempests

Up the Brits

I have bought one of the wider triggers as fitted to the Turkish Tempest and will fit it to my older British example and hope that and with a new seal fitted we can close the gap between the two results we have had so far.

The TT certainly has a tighter barrel than the BT - maybe more like the modern barrels, whereas the BT still seems to have the traditionally looser British size barrel, so maybe to be fairer to both of them once the wide trigger and new seals are fitted we should do a re-test using 4.49 pellets in the TT and 4.50 pellets in the BT.

Obviously the pellets have to be of the same type (?) but maybe we should just find what works best for each and then make the comparison test again.

The British made Tempest feels a lot nicer when opening the barrel locking catch - the Turkish one feels a lot rougher - as does the thumb lever itself, and likewise when cocking the pistols the difference in feel is obvious - the BT is much nicer.

.....but the BT is well run-in and the TT is still almost new so all these things have to be considered when making comparisons between the two - but the Turkish pistol was most definitely the more accurate of the two during our first test
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

nikonf Guest

Tempest

Hi,
    Don't knock it until you've tried it?
    A name is a name only, and good quality Turkish is good, again then try and give an "honest" opinion ,not based on the name(Turkish), be objective
    ,not blinkered.
    You can buy a Rolex for £10,000 , and an Accurist for £300 and perhaps the Rolex is 10% better?
    Last edited by nikonf; 14-08-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nikonf View Post
    Hi,
    Don't knock it until you've tried it?
    A name is a name only, and good quality Turkish is good, again then try and give an "honest" opinion ,not based on the name(Turkish), be objective
    ,not blinkered.
    You can buy a Rolex for £10,000 , and an Accurist for £300 and perhaps the Rolex is 10% better?
    I am not really sure where you are going with those comments - maybe you should read all of this thread and the results of our test ?

We are not knocking it and we have tried it

The Turkish Tempest easily won our direct head to head test against a well run-in British made Tempest and impressed all of us that were involved in the test

The test was most definitely HONEST, it was NOT BLINKERED and it was very much OBJECTIVE so it already seems to meet or exceed your suggested requirements.

Maybe you did not see it or read it?

As we continue our testing we will remain fully HONEST and OBJECTIVE and will NOT be BLINKERED in any way - we have no axe to grind by reporting just how good the Turkish made Tempest performed, BUT we will also make sure that my well worn BT is performing as well as it can by checking the old seal and perhaps by giving it the same wide trigger advantage that both the Turkish made and the later British made Tempests already enjoy.

We also reported that the Turkish Tempest had a better finish than the British made one as well - but against that it is also very fair to mention that the British made example did "feel better and was also smoother to cock" ......more very OBJECTIVE reporting .

I really like my new Turkish Tempest, but it is a little rough in some areas where the British made example is better. If you read all of this thread you will see this for yourself.

I fully expected some of the dedicated supporters of the British made Webleys to object to a report that clearly makes the Turkish made Tempest such a clear winner - but have to admit to being gob-smacked that an obvious fan of the Turkish made Tempest has any probem with it winning the head to head
    Last edited by zooma; 14-08-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

I fully expected some of the dedicated supporters of the British made Webleys to object to a report that clearly makes the Turkish made Tempest such a clear winner - but have to admit to being gob-smacked that an obvious fan of the Turkish made Tempest has any probem with it winning the head to head
    Being a dedicated supporter of all Webley pistols (why is there no roll-around-the-floor-laughing smillie? ) I support the accuracy comparisons results between the British and the Turkish Tempest.

The Turkish Tempest did hit the wall behind the target holder nearer than the one.

ATB
    Wobbly Ian.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Being a dedicated supporter of all Webley pistols (why is there no roll-around-the-floor-laughing smillie? ) I support the accuracy comparisons results between the British and the Turkish Tempest.

The Turkish Tempest did hit the wall behind the target holder nearer than the one.

ATB
    Wobbly Ian.
    Praise indeed from the active President of the Webley Air Pistol Fan Club

Nice to know our efforts have been approved by his Royal (Webley) Pain in the Arse

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Praise indeed from the active President of the Webley Air Pistol Fan Club
    The previous President was fired

... but missed.

Turkish Tempest Upgrade

Hello,

Here is a link to a couple of photos of my 'Turkish' Tempest sporting it's new wood grips which in my opinion not only look superb, but have also improved my hold being slightly wider than the standard plastic grips.

The grips which were beautifully made by Andy (BBS airgunner.177) not only fitted perfectly on receipt but have transformed the appearance of the pistol.

I should add that I have no connection with Andy other than being a very satisfied customer.

There is also a photo of my best group to date which was shot at 10 metres using a single handed, unsupported hold.

For what it's worth, I have really enjoyed following the results of what I consider to be a very objective and totally unbiased comparison of the 'Brummie' and 'Turkish' pistols which has determined pros & cons relating to both products.

Looking forward to results of further testing and comparison which should provide a good insight for Webley enthusiasts.

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2a051dc7.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...pse81faa12.jpg

http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7ca6aa05.jpg

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 15-08-2013 at 01:36 PM.

nikonf Guest

Turkish Tempest

Zooma,
    come on it has had some bad reports!!!!
    Yes I have read all the comments, thank you very much!!!
    I have the Turkish .177, and am extremely pleased with it!!
    THere is an overall feeling , sorry for repeating myself?, that Turkish is not very good.
    I have Seniors/Premier(1 and 11) , Juniors (1 and 11) and I do feel as though here is a bias against the Turkish one.
    I have read all the comments, thank you( only thing good to come out of Turkey is the fez? e.g.)
    Have YOU read all the comments!

Zooma,
    THere is an overall feeling , sorry for repeating myself?, that Turkish is not very good.
    I have Seniors/Premier(1 and 11) , Juniors (1 and 11) and I do feel as though here is a bias against the Turkish one.
    I have read all the comments, thank you( only thing good to come out of Turkey is the fez? e.g.)
    Hello,

Without wishing to get into a posting war I would disagree with the perception that this thread is seriously biased against the 'Turkish' Tempest. There will always be an element of tongue in cheek banter where non-Webley and even traditional 'all steel' Webley enthusiasts are concerned, but at the core of the post is an attempt to conduct a serious comparison between the two Tempest variations.

I myself now own a 'Turkish' Tempest and have been pleasantly surprised with how it performs but am still very interested in how it compares with its British predecessor.

Regards

Brian

I've never said that the turkish Tempests aren't any good. I just feel that it's not a proper Webley if it's not made in Birmingham or at least the UK. I think that outsourcing manufacturing abroad was a pretty shabby way to capitalise on Webley's heritage. If you're happy with your Turkish Tempests then fine!

Zooma,
    All Webley pistols get a bad comments from IJ and his fellow anti-Webley pistol haters, but most of the jibes are intended to be funny and should be taken in the spirit that they were intended.........even if they do not like Webley air pistols much - it all adds to the fun and I have to admit to looking forward to the next round of anti-Webley air pistol abuse from them.

The Turkish made Tempest has not really received any more attention from the "detractors" than any other Webley air pistol so in many ways it has faired much better than many would have expected.

I really liked the fez comment by the way and expect a few more comparisons including cheap copy watches and BEKO fridges and washing machines to feature at some stage as well - but the test that we made showed the Turkish Tempest to be very good in most areas and not quite so good in others - but overall it was the best pistol we tested that night

Tempest

Ignore both the and Turkish Tempests and go for a Nemesis, miles better, better trigger, more accurate, less cocking effort and only slightly less power, and of course recoiless.

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    Ignore both the and Turkish Tempests and go for a Nemesis, miles better, better trigger, more accurate, less cocking effort and only slightly less power, and of course recoiless.
    Or a FWB 65/80 or, at a push, an Original 'Giss' system pistol.

Great thread. If I want some serious shooting at 10m I use my FWB65, but for pure enjoyment and the challenge I use my 80's Tempest or 40's Senior. So the comparison of the 'modern' Tempest is very interesting, particularly the question on what is the best pellet of old and new barrels. The .22 question is well known against old British barrels and true 5.5mm barrels, but always wondered about the .177 pellets. Like the test I find Hobby and Geco both work well. Keep this thread going!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnc61 View Post
    Great thread. If I want some serious shooting at 10m I use my FWB65, but for pure enjoyment and the challenge I use my 80's Tempest or 40's Senior. So the comparison of the 'modern' Tempest is very interesting, particularly the question on what is the best pellet of old and new barrels. The .22 question is well known against old British barrels and true 5.5mm barrels, but always wondered about the .177 pellets. Like the test I find Hobby and Geco both work well. Keep this thread going!
    Hi John,

We do need to find the best pellet type for use in the new Turkish Tempest as the barrel is definitely tighter than the version, so some of our comparative testing may change a little once we can find and match the best pellets to each barrel type.

.and (perhaps just as importantly) it gives us another excuse to keep this very enjoyable series of tests going each Thursday night at RMTC where is is giving us plenty of fun and some not too serious debate about the merits of both.

Now the wider trigger ( bought from Chamberlains last week) has been fitted to my BT it does feel a lot better and I rang the redbob bell a few times with it immediately after it had been fitted ( luck or fluke?) and hope when we dig-out the hard PTFE seal and replace it with a leather or neoprene type an improved barrel seal may further assist the in its fight back to close the gap on the Turk.

Meanwhile of course the new Tempest also gets better as it "beds-in" so the gap could go either way - but it still retains it's superior power and really whacks the target with a much harder thump!

Since I picked up my old Senior the other week and dug-out a .177 Premier this series of comparative "tests" looks likely to rumble on for some time and maybe deserves a new thread as it encompasses even more variety of Webley v Webley