Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Turkish Tempests

Ah, yes, that debate (Senior v Premier) is worthy of a seperate thread. There was very little difference between the late Senior and early Premier (visually) but as the Premier developed it changed a lot, but did the performance improve?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnc61 View Post
    Ah, yes, that debate (Senior v Premier) is worthy of a seperate thread. There was very little difference between the late Senior and early Premier (visually) but as the Premier developed it changed a lot, but did the performance improve?
    OK - we will give it a try - any excuse for some more fun

Does anyone have an early Premier (anything prior to an F would be good) they would like to sell me by any chance as this could be the start with a head to head against the Senior
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I hate to admit it chaps, but I am rapidly going off Webley pistols. Problems with a Tempest that wouldn't group and now an uncocking Premier. Whatever next? The embarrassment of these events occurring when surrounded by certain umbeleivers doesn't help either. Reckon I will be keeping with the BSA Magnum option from now on.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I hate to admit it chaps, but I am rapidly going off Webley pistols. Problems with a Tempest that wouldn't group and now an uncocking Premier. Whatever next? The embarrassment of these events occurring when surrounded by certain umbeleivers doesn't help either. Reckon I will be keeping with the BSA Magnum option from now on.

Andy
    Welcome to the fold.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Andy
    Hi Andy,

It's probably just a blip. Remember these lovely examples of British engineering have been providing reliable service in their thousands since 1924.

Keep the faith.

Regards

Brian

Its running thin at the mo' Brian. Will try and fight off unbeliever status.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Johnc61 View Post
    The Senior was a better performer. The problem with the Premier was the basic piston washer of saucer shape in Teflon or Polyurethane proved a tad inconsistent shot to shot and ridiculously wide spread when compared to this Turkish Tempest of near perfect shot to shot consistency.
    The Phosphor Bronze ring of the Senior could be remarkably consistant provided it was run with a slight smear of oil. This was the problem here....getting the oiling right but for about a tin pellets a Senior could perform very nicely before a touch of oil being required. The volume was also very slightly greater than the Premier
    Turkish Tempests are the real winners in .22 because the mainspring is different and capable of 400fps.
    The .177 version shares the bog std mainspring used for eons back to the Neathandal era.
    I prefer the matt finish of the Turkish Tempest over the gloss of the BT.

Andy
    Hi Andy,

Send 'em both over to us at RMTC with IJ so we can take a look at them.

Even if we can't fix them it would be great to see IJ holding them - it would make a good picture for us to circulate to the masses
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hi Andy,

Send 'em both over to us at RMTC with IJ so we can take a look at them.

Even if we can't fix them it would be great to see IJ holding them - it would make a good picture for us to circulate to the masses
    I admit to holding them. Wearing rubber gloves, yes, but holding them nether the less.

You certainly had hold of my Premier as you chucked it into the bin (wearing blue rubber gloves that he keeps close to his seat for holding Webley pistol occasions.) She wasn't too happy at being the 10m range door stop either you German loving hater of all things Wobbly.....

Andy (sobs into handkerchief)

You certainly had hold of my Premier as you chucked it into the bin (wearing blue rubber gloves that he keeps close to his seat for holding Webley pistol occasions.) She wasn't too happy at being the 10m range door stop either you German loving hater of all things Wobbly.....

Andy (sobs into handkerchief)
    Best use for it. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=6&o=1

Best place for it. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=6&o=2

I am now running out of nasty things to call you Ian. Reckon I will just knock you out when I see you next.

Andy

I am now running out of nasty things to call you Ian. Reckon I will just knock you out when I see you next.

Andy
    Not everybody hates me .....

But then again, not everybodys met me.

Please dont use a Wobbly around the back of the 'heed'. I would prefer a piece of 4 x 2. More class!

http://postimg.org/image/ae1ftcb59/
    Last edited by I. J.; 23-08-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Bloody hell Ian, how many pictures did you take when I wasn't in the room?

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    In my experience Consistent muzzle velocities of 3-4 ft lbs are perfectly adequate to permit satisfactory groups at 10 metres or a bit further which would be much harder to achieve if energies of 5-6 ft lbs were generated. I have shot some of my best 10 metre groups using Webley pistols with fairly tired main springs which can't have been producing more than 2-3 ft lbs.

It's obviously a different matter If you are trying to knock over steel plates instead of punching holes in paper.

Regards

Brian
    As a newcomer to air guns, I find all your comments above very interesting. I have a couple of CO2 pistols and wanted a springer for a quick plink - rather than going through a full CO2 and large number of pellets/BB's. Very pleased with the 0.177 Turkish Tempest (short review in the reviews forum), and although it may not be as good as the English version - it was readily available and brand new. In short range practice (4m) in the garage was initially somewhat random, but after adjusting the sights (on a rest then hand held), I learned that a firm hold is essential (to resist recoil) just prior to squeezing the trigger (gently). This way I am now consistently placing the pellet within a cm of my aim, with a less firm grip the pellet path was much more random. Without exception the pellets go deep into the target; no bouncing out as with the CO2 pistols, this suggests I can land the pellets in a more distant target (unlike my CO2's or a less powerful spring pistol). There is something very satisfying about using these springer pistols; slow to load they may be but you make every shot count. I am keeping a look out for a Premier in good condition at a fair price (not paying extra for the box); I like the fact that they can easily be stripped for repairs...unlike the Tempest.