Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Turkish Tempests

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    As a newcomer to air guns, I find all your comments above very interesting. I have a couple of CO2 pistols and wanted a springer for a quick plink - rather than going through a full CO2 and large number of pellets/BB's. Very pleased with the 0.177 Turkish Tempest (short review in the reviews forum), and although it may not be as good as the English version - it was readily available and brand new. In short range practice (4m) in the garage was initially somewhat random, but after adjusting the sights (on a rest then hand held), I learned that a firm hold is essential (to resist recoil) just prior to squeezing the trigger (gently). This way I am now consistently placing the pellet within a cm of my aim, with a less firm grip the pellet path was much more random. Without exception the pellets go deep into the target; no bouncing out as with the CO2 pistols, this suggests I can land the pellets in a more distant target (unlike my CO2's or a less powerful spring pistol). There is something very satisfying about using these springer pistols; slow to load they may be but you make every shot count. I am keeping a look out for a Premier in good condition at a fair price (not paying extra for the box); I like the fact that they can easily be stripped for repairs...unlike the Tempest.

Hi,

Glad you are enjoying your 'Turkish' Tempest and the unique experience of attempting to master spring powered air pistols brings.

The normally accepted method of shooting 'springers' is NOT to use too tight a grip but rather to let the pistol recoil naturally. This works well for me and I hold the pistol with about the same grip used when say tapping home panel pins or a relatively firm handshake. As I say, this is the normally given advice but as with all these things if something else works for you then great.

In my opinion the biggest single element in consistently producing good groups with any spring air gun is 'Follow Through' which ironically is probably the easiest to implement.

I have always been a die hard 'all steel' Webley fan and still prefer the traditional earlier form of manufacture but cannot deny that the modern alloy framed 'Turkish' Tempest does handle and shoot well.

Mine continues to perform accurately at 10 metres and now sports a nice pair of replacement wood grips which are slightly wider than the standard plastic set and consequently provide me with a more comfortable hold.

As far as 'Premiers go I would definitely recommend you go for an early all steel Mk1 model rather than an alloy Mk2. I have several examples of both the 'Premier' and 'Senior' and would be slightly biased toward the 'Premier' due to its adjustable trigger facility.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

Glad you are enjoying your 'Turkish' Tempest and the unique experience of attempting to master spring powered air pistols brings.

The normally accepted method of shooting 'springers' is NOT to use too tight a grip but rather to let the pistol recoil naturally. This works well for me and I hold the pistol with about the same grip used when say tapping home panel pins or a relatively firm handshake. As I say, this is the normally given advice but as with all these things if something else works for you then great.

In my opinion the biggest single element in consistently producing good groups with any spring air gun is 'Follow Through' which ironically is probably the easiest to implement.

I have always been a die hard 'all steel' Webley fan and still prefer the traditional earlier form of manufacture but cannot deny that the modern alloy framed 'Turkish' Tempest does handle and shoot well.

Mine continues to perform accurately at 10 metres and now sports a nice pair of replacement wood grips which are slightly wider than the standard plastic set and consequently provide me with a more comfortable hold.

As far as 'Premiers go I would definitely recommend you go for an early all steel Mk1 model rather than an alloy Mk2. I have several examples of both the 'Premier' and 'Senior' and would be slightly biased toward the 'Premier' due to its adjustable trigger facility.

Regards

Brian
    Brian, thank you, I appreciate your comments. Having looked up the subject of 'Follow Through' (said I was a newby) it seems that I must have been starting to develope that technique (unknown to myself). My mention of a 'firm grip' was probably an incorrect description of the developing skill to 'maintain the target on sight' until the pellet leaves the muzzle. For sure my aim is improving; I can not blame the equipment....just my concentration. Wood grips can indeed look very fine, and agree the stock grips are on the slim side. I have my eye on a Mk I Premier but the seller does not wish to post it...so I'll have to work on him.

Brian, thank you, I appreciate your comments. Having looked up the subject of 'Follow Through' (said I was a newby) it seems that I must have been starting to develope that technique (unknown to myself). My mention of a 'firm grip' was probably an incorrect description of the developing skill to 'maintain the target on sight' until the pellet leaves the muzzle. For sure my aim is improving; I can not blame the equipment....just my concentration. Wood grips can indeed look very fine, and agree the stock grips are on the slim side. I have my eye on a Mk I Premier but the seller does not wish to post it...so I'll have to work on him.
    Hi Brian,

You are close enough to come across to RMTC one Thursday evening with your Webley if you would like to shoot it and or chat with other fellow Webley owners that are keen to learn how to master or at least get the best out of their Webley spring powered air pistols (of all types).
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hi Brian,
    You are close enough to come across to RMTC one Thursday evening with your Webley if you would like to shoot it and or chat with other fellow Webley owners that are keen to learn how to master or at least get the best out of their Webley spring powered air pistols (of all types).
    I'm pleased to see you suggested Thursday for your proposed Webley fest Bob; I.J.'s developing a nasty twitch from repeated exposure to this fine British weaponry

At least he enjoys some respite at Rivi on Thursdays -he just has to endure the normal abuse that he seems able to cope with
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hi Brian,

Sounds like a good idea...I also have a very nice (Brummie) Webley Xocet Rifle to bring along.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec4 View Post
    I'm pleased to see you suggested Thursday for your proposed Webley fest Bob; I.J.'s developing a nasty twitch from repeated exposure to this fine British weaponry

At least he enjoys some respite at Rivi on Thursdays -he just has to endure the normal abuse that he seems able to cope with

With one hand tied behind my back and without breaking into a sweat.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Sounds like a good idea...I also have a very nice (Brummie) Webley Xocet Rifle to bring along.
    We look forward to meeting you whenever you can make it Brian.

If you bring a .177 air rifle to our church based target shooting club you will need to bring it in a hard case due to our local agreement not to let soft hunter case's to be seen entering or leaving the church.

We do not shoot .22 rifles at RMTC.

A hard case does not attract any attention as it is not obviously a rifle case and we are happy to comply with this agreement to "keep the peace" as we enjoy shooting where we are and consider it a small price to pay.

Please contact me by email or PM if you would like any more information.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Hello,

Although there are number of basic elements associated with accurate pistol shooting consistency is the key even if you adopt a slightly different approach to the conventionally recognised advice.

A good way to improve trigger control is to shoot at a blank target card ie a card with no visible black aiming mark. This removes the additional distraction of placing the sight picture correctly in relation to the aiming mark thus allowing complete concentration on the trigger release. Although you would expect the group to be vertically strung as there is no aiming mark there should be little spread in the horizontal distribution. In practice the brain seems to centralise the sight picture and some very tight groups can be obtained in this way. Try this technique at 6 or 10 yds remembering the all important 'follow through' especially when shooting a 'springer, before gradually introducing conventional target cards as your technique and confidence improve.

I would defiantly take up the offer to attend the club evening if I were you where you will no doubt learn a lot from the more experienced members.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Brian

The very first post on this thread referred to a moment of apparent madness on my part when about six months ago I bought a new 'Turkish' Tempest in .22 calibre just to confirm my perception that these pistols were not a patch on the original 'Brummie' model.

As the post explains, my initial fears were confirmed and after an unsuccessful return to the supplier under warranty, it was replaced by a .177 example to see if that was any better. This proved to be the case and now almost grudgingly I have gained quite a bit of respect for the pistol to the point where I have bought a second pistol in the originally preferred calibre. This time I made sure the pistol was put through a chrono to ensure it was producing around the correct muzzle velocity before leaving the shop. The first trip to the range resulted in the following observations:

This pistol appears to have have been made to a better standard than the first one and is even a bit nicer than my .177 example which I consider to be quite good.

I would normally expect a lighter pellet such as the RWS Hobby to perform best for a pistol in this calibre, but
    it turned out RWS Superdomes (14.5 grns) produced the best 10 metre groups. After sighting, it was possible to consistently hold the black aiming area (60mm) on the NSRA 10 metre precision target with most shots within 40mm.

Although the Tempest would not generally be considered suitable for precision target shooting, I still use a one handed unsupported precision stance as this technique is normal for me.

Cocking effort is high as with the .177 pistol, but quite manageable once the correct knack has been mastered.

Although crisp, the .22 trigger release is very heavy even compared with the .177 pistol. I'm hoping this may improve once the pistol has been run in a bit.

As with the .177, the trigger adjustment mechanism appears to have no discernible effect on the weight.

Experimenting with something I would not usually have considered is proving very enjoyable, especially as I'm currently having my original prejudices challenged at least to some extent.

Regards

Brian

I was getting on well with my TT (Turkish Tempest)....until about an hour ago when I noticed that the breech seal is knackered! I am not at all happy about this because I take great care when loading each pellet to make certain the skirt is fully seated (as far as is practical on the end of an angled barrel). I always open the stirrup and carefully close the barrel into the breech (never click the barrel down onto the stirrup).

The rubber has ruptured on one side, but I can also see small cracks radiating outwards in other places. These appear more like perished/cracked rubber rather than damage from a pellet (which would cause vertical graze marks as the barrel is closed). It is only a few weeks old and had about 300 pellets fired (RWS Superdome).

So its either back to the shop with it, or buy a new seal from Chambers (Genuine Webley to 2005 so hope it fits the TT) and fit it myself to avoid the hassle. When purchased I noticed that the impression of the barrel on the seal was not centred/concentric, so I'm wondering whether the misalignment of the air nozzle with the barrel has resulted in fatigue of the rubber (that was in effect been flapping in the airstream).

I was getting on well with my TT (Turkish Tempest)....until about an hour ago when I noticed that the breech seal is knackered! I am not at all happy about this because I take great care when loading each pellet to make certain the skirt is fully seated (as far as is practical on the end of an angled barrel). I always open the stirrup and carefully close the barrel into the breech (never click the barrel down onto the stirrup).

The rubber has ruptured on one side, but I can also see small cracks radiating outwards in other places. These appear more like perished/cracked rubber rather than damage from a pellet (which would cause vertical graze marks as the barrel is closed). It is only a few weeks old and had about 300 pellets fired (RWS Superdome).

So its either back to the shop with it, or buy a new seal from Chambers (Genuine Webley to 2005 so hope it fits the TT) and fit it myself to avoid the hassle. When purchased I noticed that the impression of the barrel on the seal was not centred/concentric, so I'm wondering whether the misalignment of the air nozzle with the barrel has resulted in fatigue of the rubber (that was in effect been flapping in the airstream).
    Hi,

As I'm sure you are aware the barrel of the 'Turkish' Tempest is angled at the breech end and I have noticed some indentation of the breech seal on my .177 pistol. This does not appear to affect performance or have made replacement of the breech seal necessary after more than six months use and many hundreds of operations. Strangely enough this does not seem to be the case with the .22 pistol which closes satisfactorily without any significant impression on the breech seal.

As part of my investigation into low power from my first Turkish Tempest I attempted to replace the breech seal with one meant for an original Tempest which turned out to be too large for the 'Turkish' pistol.

I would recommend that you obtain a compatible spare directly from the supplier (Highland Outdoors) or through the dealer who originally sold the pistol.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 18-09-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

As I'm sure you are aware the barrel of the 'Turkish' Tempest is angled at the breech end and I have noticed some indentation of the breech seal on my .177 pistol. This does not appear to affect performance or have made replacement of the breech seal necessary after more than six months use and many hundreds of operations. Strangely enough this does not seem to be the case with the .22 pistol which closes satisfactorily without any significant impression on the breech seal.

As part of my investigation into low power from my first Turkish Tempest I attempted to replace the breech seal with one meant for an original Tempest which turned out to be too large for the 'Turkish' pistol.

I would recommend that you obtain a compatible spare directly from the supplier (Highland Outdoors) or through the dealer who originally sold the pistol.

Regards

Brian
    Thanks again Brian. I will start out with the seller, they are a 'hands on' gun shop that do repairs so I'm hoping to get it sorted quickly, otherwise from Highland. Rather worrying that the seal can fragment so quickly. I'm confident that my loading up was text book. It's not possible to press the entire circumference of the skirt into the barrel, the lower section protrudes a tiny amount on account that the upper part is pressed flush with the barrel. It will not go in any further using finger pressure alone; the RWS Superdome pellet is too snug fit. The instructions do not mention the need to use any more force (or blunt object) which could potentially distort the skirt.

Thanks again Brian. I will start out with the seller, they are a 'hands on' gun shop that do repairs so I'm hoping to get it sorted quickly, otherwise from Highland. Rather worrying that the seal can fragment so quickly. I'm confident that my loading up was text book. It's not possible to press the entire circumference of the skirt into the barrel, the lower section protrudes a tiny amount on account that the upper part is pressed flush with the barrel. It will not go in any further using finger pressure alone; the RWS Superdome pellet is too snug fit. The instructions do not mention the need to use any more force (or blunt object) which could potentially distort the skirt.
    Hello,

There is possibly some variation in manufacturing standards with these pistols as I found I needed to seat the pellets using a pellet seater on the first .22 pistol, but have found pellets of differing makes seat easily using only thumb pressure on the one just purchased. As stated in the earlier post, the breech seal seating arrangement also seems to be much better with this pistol.

Hope things get sorted soon and I would be interested in hearing how you get on with the replacement seal.

I will let you know if anything untoward develops with either of my own pistols.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 19-09-2013 at 11:13 AM.

The retailer was good enough to replace the breech seal with no fuss. Just to make sure of no further damage, I switched over from RWS Superdome (that would not seat fully into the barrel) to another type of pellet that seats much more readily (Crossman Domed), I shall try out other brands later.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    I have one of the centennial Turkish Tempests. Well made and good to look at BUT it is a right pain to cock.

Within five shots I've had enough - I have to rest it on my knee to load it and it hurts!

I have an original and can cock it with no effort just by holding it in my hands - can keep reloading all night.

My question - am I alone in having a bad example or have they since improved the design?
    Paul, I suspect there is some variability in the Turkish Tempests. Mine in 0.177 will not allow RWS Superdome or RWS Target to properly seat; the barrel is tight. I am using Crossman Domed, but hear that RWS Hobby may work. After around 500 pellets it is still tight to cock. I use the recommended Webley method, but also find it necessary to rest the lower part of the gun on my upper thigh to gain leverage (don't pinch); its just to difficult for me using hands alone. Just bought a used (well run in) English Tempest in 0.22 which is putting out the correct energy but is far easier to cock just using hands; I'm hoping the Turkisk one will ease off in time.