Thread: Fonix militaria shop in budapest... A warning to potential victims

Fonix militaria shop in budapest... A warning to potential victims

Recently i sold one of my flintlock pistols on the gunstar website , the guy told me that he was on his way to Budapest to meet "a freind" there with a big collection of "original" antique muzzleloaders . there is only 1 person in Budapest with such a collection . this guy is called Gabor , he is known locally as "NAZI GABOR" due to his love of 3rd reich memorabilia. during my first trip to Budapest I came across his shop (as many do because of the location) & went inside with my ex wife who is Hungarian . amazingly the owner had an SS honour ring for sale for just slightly under the market price , I listened to his lengthy story of how this ring was dug up & how the soldier got killed & buried behind the castle area of the city . I bought the ring & it took me another 2 years before i showed it to an expert who told me that it was fake . The next time I visited Budapest I decided to pay a visit to the FONIX shop & try & get my money back . I can still remember the look of terror on the owners face as i walked into his shop . He apologised & told me that he had found out himself that the guy who had supposedly dug the ring up had tricked him ....he was very convincing . I felt a bit sorry for him & instead of a refund tokk 3 items which i liked from his shop. great. about a week later me & the ex were walking around a back street area of Budapest , when we found another place with a serious collector of 3rd reich militaria . I dont want to give his name as he was really helpful . we went back to his place a couple of days later where I showed him the 3 items I had traded against the phoney SS ring . He told my ex , (as he only speaks Hungarian) that all 3 were fakes , in addition he told us the name of the workshop that produces these outside of the city . the items in question were Hungarian enamelled paratrooper badges ww1 era . he also told us that the old guy sitting on a chair in the corner of the FONIX shop was originally a costume maker who worked in the theatre . who, makes copies of 3rd reich uniforms for NAZI GABOR from a huge pile of similar type fabrics which ive seen with my own eyes upstairs in his shop , these are copied from originals in NAZI GABOR'S collection & then sold to his victims as ww2 originals .he has spent a while in prison for fraud & deception because of the fact that he has in the past ripped off alot of little old ladies who bring grandads swords etc. in to sell . The old trick of "Il sell it for you & give you a percentage ....& then he hides it under the counter or in the back & tells the old lady that nobody is interested , in the end they give up & he kindly agrees to buy it for peanuts , then the next thing you know ....its in the twice yearly military auction in the BEKE hotel ...where it sells for a small fortune . I went back to the FONIX shop armed with this information & told him that these items were also fake & that i wasnt leaving his shop until i got a cash refund . he called me a "merges majom" which i understood as "angry monkey" at this point I lost my cool & threatened him at which point he buckled & told me angry monkey was just a Hungarian expression .... end of the story was that I walked out of his shop with the cash , but , others havent been so lucky . if anyone out there has been sold a uniform, muzzle loader or anything basically ...as i would guess at least 75% of all the "too good to be true" items are exactly that ...too good to be true . I know a good solicitoer in Budapest who is reasonably priced & speaks good English , her office is a 10 minute walk from NAZI GABORS establishment . with his track record & the time in jail I would think it an easy thing to get a refund . He also has a huge collection of original 3rd reich stuff which is housed in the basement of number 7 Vamhaz korut ...1 minute from the FONIX shop in the Kalvin ter metro area .
    this guy is very convincing , Id forgotten all about him before the buyer of my flintlock reminded me , that & the brilliant " A nice day out in Gloucester" thread that ive just seen on this site . If anyone needs help with Nazi Gabor in the future , it would be my pleasure to help them .
    Last edited by customstocker; 06-08-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: typo

WW1Badges

Sorry but anyone buying any WW1 paratrooper badge deserves to be separated from his cash regardless.
    Hope this does not offend.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty242 View Post
    Sorry but anyone buying any WW1 paratrooper badge deserves to be separated from his cash regardless.
    Hope this does not offend.
    Has the same veracity as a Cromwellian submariner's badge, or a photograph of Nelson.

tac

note to tac

as ex matelot have 2 photo's of Nelson if the price was right would you be interested in 1

as ex matelot have 2 photo's of Nelson if the price was right would you be interested in 1
    Our local church has the skeleton of Nelson when he was a child.

And over in Oregon, I have George Washington's matching pair of Lugers with grips made from the actual cherry tree he admitted cutting down.

tac

deal

could we come to some arrangement ,possible swap a photo for a luger,,,
    Methinks this should stop now as we are taking over the other chaps post,enjoyed the crack.

yeah, in retrospect youre right, I was pretty stupid , but this guy is still a weasel of the highest calibre , & its useful to know that a foreigner can still get the upper hand in such a right wing nationist country & that lock gluing isnt a popular practical joke in middle europe .

extraction

no offence meant in any of the banter tween tac and myself,but when entering shops of that ilk things just dont seem right,1 in example is in Gib,down a side street,however that could be anywhere there,this shop had all kinds of ww2 gear,stuff like lrdg badges which were in mint condition,lots of other things that as a collector i could only see in books,even had the cheek to say that they were extremely difficult to get hold of,never bought a thing off her and have never ventured into the shop again,as i said in opening no offence meant and pleased that you named and shame the wrong do-er.

pm with offer

no offence meant in any of the banter tween tac and myself,but when entering shops of that ilk things just dont seem right,1 in example is in Gib,down a side street,however that could be anywhere there,this shop had all kinds of ww2 gear,stuff like lrdg badges which were in mint condition,lots of other things that as a collector i could only see in books,even had the cheek to say that they were extremely difficult to get hold of,never bought a thing off her and have never ventured into the shop again,as i said in opening no offence meant and pleased that you named and shame the wrong do-er.
    none taken , actually ive just re read my original post & now understand the references to nelson , etc. it should have said ww2 , not ww1 , but in any case its much funnier than my account of this twat . & youre quite right , if it looks fishy it probably is . theres so much of this kind of thing going on in middle europe , probably why those marker pens that etch glass are banned from sale ... also i dont want to shame the guy... just alert people to his fake ww2 nazi uniforms & hopefully see him back in his cage & his shop closed for good . cheers