Thread: Webley Senior parts

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Webley Senior parts

I have recently bought a Senior, batch number 860, 1860 under the grip (an approximate date would be nice) and need a couple of parts.

The barrel bolt is missing the locking screw, just knowing the thread and size would help with that. It also looks like the breech seal is past it’s best. Should I try neatsfoot oil on it, or replace it with a leather or rubber one? Ideas and links would be very much appreciated.

I stripped the gun today, cleaned out the oil and applied a little Bum-Slide in it’s place. The boiiing has gone along with a lot of the smoke. Power has risen from 250 to 285fps, I’m sure I can crack 300fps with a better seal!

Lastly, the barrel has some wobble at the front. Has anyone successfully shimmed this?

Maybe the 1 in front of the batch no under the grip is an inspectors mark?
    I'm no expert, but there were a few changes made post war, which would narrow the age range down a bit. Handle serrations, barrel knurling, markings on body, trigger shape, oiling instruction, etc. Photos would help, as always.
    Don't suppose it would do any harm to try some neatsfoot oil on the seal.
    No doubt someone who knows much more than me will be along!

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Hi Nick,

The pivot bolt securing screw is an obscure 50tpi Whitworth thread which nobody seems to be able to replicate.
    I'm enclosing the blueprint for this.
    I have either replacement Webley nitrile breech washers or original leather and brass washers, the only problem being the leather washers are really hard with no give at all, like bullets.

Clean the bumslide out of it and lubricate with SAE 30 lawnmower oil as recommended by Webley. It's a phospher bronze piston ring and it relies on the viscosity of the oil to seal. They also diesel a tiny bit in normal use and are designed to do so.
    The breech seal will need a good soaking in oil to revive it , just put a couple of drops on the seal and leave upright overnight. If the seal won't revive easily. Put some drops of cigarette lighter fluid on it and let it soak in before oiling it again.
    If you must lubricate the piston body, squirt some dry graphite powder into the cocking slot and work the piston to and fro a few times. Cocking linkages , barrel pivot and stirrup pivot will benefit from a drop or so of 3 in 1 type oil.

The lock screw for the pivot screw is a special and a real barsteward to duplicate. Chambers and Knibbs sometimes have them but I believe they are both out of stock.

Hope that helps