Thread: Cased Walther LP53

Cased Walther LP53

This almost perfect example of an LP53 with the standard black crackle finish and brown grip is only the second LP53 I have ever had with an adjustable trigger and it came from it's first owner in Germany to me in the optional deluxe fitted case.

This deluxe case has the bright blue "silk" lining with the light grey sueded base, but I also have one with a darker blue "silk" lining and a darker grey sueded base and a third with a red "silk" lining and a dark grey sueded base.

Does any knowledgeable Walter historian/collector know if there were any other colour versions of this LP53 deluxe case ever made, or was it just these three options?

The pistol looks like it never left it's fitted case and also shoots like a new and unused pistol. Despite this, the packing that was used under the sueded base to give the shape can be felt to have hardened and cracked like every other example I have seen so far.

This shaping included thin pieces of wood that appear to have been glued together with hot melt glue that had become brittle with age and cracked away. Although this cannot be seen from the outside it can be felt with the fingers through the material.

I am looking for one of the small 100 pellet size tins to fill the space made for it in the fitted base. I have seen examples of these with green H&N tins and some with the more usual RWS Meisterkugeln tins. Does anybody have one of these tins for sale or swap to complete this cased set by any chance?

http://bobsairguns.com/index.php?opt...ery&Itemid=156
    Last edited by zooma; 26-08-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Hi Bob,

Would you mind sharing the serial number or perhaps the first 3 digits of the 6 figure number? I'm not sure which case came first or if they were made concurrently.

I have seen another "blue" lined case with German markings on the inside, where your fine example simply says Walther.

Ever seen a wooden gripped LP53 or perhaps I should refer to it as the LP52? Not sure if any examples are known?

Kind regards,

John

For sale

This superb example of an LP53 is now for sale at £425.00.

The serial number of this pistol is 021805.

I would consider taking a nice Webley Premier in px with .177 barrel ( or both).

Please PM me if anyone would like to buy it or has a nice Webley to px.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Bob,

Would you mind sharing the serial number or perhaps the first 3 digits of the 6 figure number? I'm not sure which case came first or if they were made concurrently.

I have seen another "blue" lined case with German markings on the inside, where your fine example simply says Walther.

Ever seen a wooden gripped LP53 or perhaps I should refer to it as the LP52? Not sure if any examples are known?

Kind regards,

John

Hi John,

The serial number is 021805, and it has the less common adjustable trigger that was "only fitted to some of the early examples" .what is the serial number of yours?

I have three variants of the "luxury case" as detailed in my first post, but they all have the same stamping inside.

Optional wooden grips were available when the LP53 was in production - but not as far as I know from Walther directly. Anatomical grips probably still are available from some of the custom grip makers such as RINK.

There were about 850 LP52 pistols made in 1952 and with "minor design changes" they continued in 1953 as the LP53 - as far as I know they all had the same moulded grip - but it would be good to hear from anybody that has knowledge of the LP52 to confirm this and to identify the "minor design changes".

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the response. I have 118299, which shoots very well at 10 metres. I have just bought 64638 in the red lined case from a member on here, which looks to be in very fine fettle. I once owned another cased example and have the s/n somewhere. That looked great but just would not group, no matter which pellets I used. The set was was complete with the little RWS tin you are looking for.

Good luck with your sale - the set looks to be a very fine one indeed.

John

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

I am looking for one of the small 100 pellet size tins to fill the space made for it in the fitted base. I have seen examples of these with green H&N tins and some with the more usual RWS Meisterkugeln tins. Does anybody have one of these tins for sale or swap to complete this cased set by any chance?
    Hi Bob,

I'm sure I still have one ot two of the sample sized tins of 100 H&N pellets in .177...not sure if I have any full tins left but there is probably some empty or part-full tins, I'll have a look anyway, if they are any good to you you're welcome to them.

Cheers,
    Dave
    blah blah

Hi John,

The serial number is 021805, and it has the less common adjustable trigger that was "only fitted to some of the early examples" .what is the serial number of yours?

I have three variants of the "luxury case" as detailed in my first post, but they all have the same stamping inside.

Optional wooden grips were available when the LP53 was in production - but not as far as I know from Walther directly. Anatomical grips probably still are available from some of the custom grip makers such as RINK.

There were about 850 LP52 pistols made in 1952 and with "minor design changes" they continued in 1953 as the LP53 - as far as I know they all had the same moulded grip - but it would be good to hear from anybody that has knowledge of the LP52 to confirm this and to identify the "minor design changes".
    Hi Bob

The question of the LP52 came up some years ago and IIRC the consensus was that it was never made, or not in the numbers you suggest anyway. As far as I know there has been not a single confirmed sighting of one.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Hi Bob,

I'm sure I still have one ot two of the sample sized tins of 100 H&N pellets in .177...not sure if I have any full tins left but there is probably some empty or part-full tins, I'll have a look anyway, if they are any good to you you're welcome to them.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Thanks Dave - they would be perfect with or without any pellets in them.

I have three more LP53 in fitted cases without any of these little tins in them and they are ideal for storing the spare front and rear sights in - if they are kept in the "proper" case slots ( as Walther intended) they always end up slipping right through and then rattle about between the shaped lower section and the bottom of the case and are just about impossible to retrieve again afterwards!

Please let me have a PM when you know what tins you find so I can pay you for the tins and the postage- thanks for your help.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John,

I have cased LP53 No: 021090, and that does not have a trigger adjustment screw, but does have a pellet tin and barrel weight along with the other obligatory bits 'n pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Hi Bob

The question of the LP52 came up some years ago and IIRC the consensus was that it was never made, or not in the numbers you suggest anyway. As far as I know there has been not a single confirmed sighting of one.
    Very interesting as the general European belief was that around 850 of them were made in 1952. This is also mentioned in Dennis Hiller's "Airpistols" book ( 3rd Edition page 179) where it is also suggested that they may have been fitted with chequered walnut grips.

I have a friend who has been close to the Walther family, I will ask him if he can gather any confirmation about the existence of the LP52 and the quantities produced during 1952 and 1953 prior to the small changes that came with the name change to LP53.

It may be worth a try and could perhaps shed some light on this supposed "myth".

A picture of one would be superb - heres hoping

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Hi John,

I have cased LP53 No: 021090, and that does not have a trigger adjustment screw, but does have a pellet tin and barrel weight along with the other obligatory bits 'n pieces.
    The adjustable trigger is a strange phenomenon as it was thought to be only fitted to early model LP53 - but not all early LP53 pistols had them. This appears to be a typical Walther production technique of the time to use whatever parts were in the spares bin when any particular batch was being made ! \

My cased LP53 (pictured in this thread) has a later serial number than yours and yet it does have the adjustable trigger - I also have earlier and later models that do not have the adjustable trigger.

I have not seen a fitted "luxury case" with the extra slot for the optional barrel weight - can you let us see a picture of it please?

As a mater of interest I do have a Walther manufactured barrel weight as well as the Anshutz made version. The latter came in a fitted case but there was no slot for it so it banged about inside the box loose !

Here's a picture of my cased LP53: http://mynetimages.com/album/Trouble...3?img=bc6cc0a4

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    That's nice - it looks like they have widened the cut-out to include the fitted barrel weight. Thanks for the picture.

Keep an eye on those spare sights - they tend to slip straight on down through the lower tray and then rattle about between it and the case base and are almost impossible to get them out again without cutting or damaging the velvet/suede look base lining.

I have spent many a happy hour with fine tweezers trying to hook these back out of various cases over the years!

This superb example of an LP53 is now for sale at £425.00.

The serial number of this pistol is 021805.

I would consider taking a nice Webley Premier in px with .177 barrel ( or both).

Please PM me if anyone would like to buy it or has a nice Webley to px.
    Hi Bob,
    I'll PX a 2 barrelled boxed E Series Premier for this set, as per our PM traffic.

Kind regards,

John

Hi Bob,
    I'll PX a 2 barrelled boxed E Series Premier for this set, as per our PM traffic.

Kind regards,

John
    Thanks John,

Deal agreed as per our PM so this LP53 is now SOLD.