Thread: Airsporter MK1 Questions.

Airsporter MK1 Questions.

Hi,
    I aquired an Airsporter MK1 today the stock of which has no BSA logo embossed on the butt and the long stock bolt hole looks as though it was never threaded to accept a plug.The stock bolt itself instead of being a stud and seperate nut is all one piece.Is this in fact a MK2 stock or was there some variation of stocks and fixing bolts on the MK1's?
    Secondly, the trigger sear adjuster is a rod that bears on the back of the trigger sear and has a locknut at its base.Is there an off the shelf tool that suits this nut has anyone found or does it require making a tool up?

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,
    My Mk 1 is a GB serial and has the same features and was bought new by my Dad in 1958 ish, and has never been touched so is very original.
    It does not have the BSA logo and no plug, and has the bolt and not the stud fitted. Sounds like it is original.
    Hope this helps.Dean.
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    Hi,
    My Mk 1 is a GB serial and has the same features and was bought new by my Dad in 1958 ish, and has never been touched so is very original.
    It does not have the BSA logo and no plug, and has the bolt and not the stud fitted. Sounds like it is original.
    Hope this helps.Dean.
    Yes,thank you that does help and good to know then it is all MK1 original.

Mark,
    As above, these are standard features of early mk.1 Aisporters. There is no special tool for the adjuster locknut. I use a small ba spanner that I had lying around that just happens to fit. or , just use long nosed pliers.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Mark,
    As above, these are standard features of early mk.1 Aisporters. There is no special tool for the adjuster locknut. I use a small ba spanner that I had lying around that just happens to fit. or , just use long nosed pliers.

Pete.
    Thanks Pete, I'm sure I'll find something to fit the nut.Would you be able to put the varying details of MK1 Airsporters in some sort of chronological order for me if poss' or direct me to where I may be able to swat up?

Cheers,
    Mark.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi.I bet it is a one piece stock as well...Instead of the 3 piece unit?...If it is and you pop out the action and look at the stock in the area behind the trigger cut out, It should have stamped thereabouts "SILE".

The MK1's came both with a 3 piece stock and normal (on these) slotted stud / nut / bung grip fixing, but BSA contracted out stocks on both some firearms and the Airsporter at least in their air rifle range to SILE of Brescia, an Italian stock making company.

I don't know if this was because of the demand at the time,, ie. if BSA could not glue enough pieces of wood together fast enough, but the one piece stocks I have encountered over the years on MK1's all have the "MK2" style fixing, ie. large domed slotted screw and no bung in the smaller grip drilling, plus as you say, no heat impressed BSA logo.

The one piece ones I have encountered seem to be fitted more to GA or GB prefix guns, most G prefix seem to be three piece "normal" ones...I emphasise this is only what I have personally encountered, hopefully an Airsporter expert will be along to possibly clarify if possible when and why BSA used the Italian ones.

The one piece stocks normally last much better IMHO, less bits to go wrong!

ATB, Ed

Just to confuse things then, My Mk 1 with bolt and no plug, is a 3 piece BSA stock.
    And I know that's how it came out of the shop new.

Seems to be typically british for the 50'sand 60's like the motorbikes in Birmingham, what they had on the shelf it got fitted.
    I am Velocette owner and none of those came out of Hall Green the same. Bloomin Brummies!
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi.I bet it is a one piece stock as well...Instead of the 3 piece unit?...If it is and you pop out the action and look at the stock in the area behind the trigger cut out, It should have stamped thereabouts "SILE".

The MK1's came both with a 3 piece stock and normal (on these) slotted stud / nut / bung grip fixing, but BSA contracted out stocks on both some firearms and the Airsporter at least in their air rifle range to SILE of Brescia, an Italian stock making company.

I don't know if this was because of the demand at the time,, ie. if BSA could not glue enough pieces of wood together fast enough, but the one piece stocks I have encountered over the years on MK1's all have the "MK2" style fixing, ie. large domed slotted screw and no bung in the smaller grip drilling, plus as you say, no heat impressed BSA logo.

The one piece ones I have encountered seem to be fitted more to GA or GB prefix guns, most G prefix seem to be three piece "normal" ones...I emphasise this is only what I have personally encountered, hopefully an Airsporter expert will be along to possibly clarify if possible when and why BSA used the Italian ones.

The one piece stocks normally last much better IMHO, less bits to go wrong!

ATB, Ed

Many thanks for the info Ed,but the stock is actually three piece or at least definately two pieces! I can see the usual shaped join on the right hand side of the stock,but on the left it is completely invisible so I have to just assume it is there!

ATB,
    Mark.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DEAN C. View Post
    Just to confuse things then, My Mk 1 with bolt and no plug, is a 3 piece BSA stock.
    And I know that's how it came out of the shop new.

Seems to be typically british for the 50'sand 60's like the motorbikes in Birmingham, what they had on the shelf it got fitted.
    I am Velocette owner and none of those came out of Hall Green the same. Bloomin Brummies!
    Look....It was all going spiffingly until you chirped up!

As you say, whatever was to hand it seems .....same with some of the weird "transition" ones in respect of the actions, ie. scope rail variations as various new bits came on line, and I am not sure when the etching changed to the "arrow" graphic, but I saw a MK 2 recently with the lettering only etching you normally see on MK 1's.

I suppose if they needed to get out X number of guns in a week to fill an order, then no-body worried back then, the customer would have been happy with his new gun, and if a mate had one a bit different, then I am betting the salesmen of the period would have some convincing patter...I am sure that has not changed!

I wonder if Knibbsy knows....must get the Golden Whatsit out and have a dekko!

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 12-08-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Look....It was all going spiffingly until you chirped up!

As you say, whatever was to hand it seems

I wonder if Knibbsy knows....must get the Golden Whatsit out and have a dekko!

ATB, Ed

I scanned my copy of the Golden Whatsit earlier today for any info along those lines,but alas,nothing!

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Many thanks for the info Ed,but the stock is actually three piece or at least definately two pieces! I can see the usual shaped join on the right hand side of the stock,but on the left it is completely invisible so I have to just assume it is there!

ATB,
    Mark.
    Hi Mark, That's interesting for me anyway, as I have never seen a 3 piece with the slotted head bolt fixing, and two have now popped up already in this thread, (unless you have a rare 2 piece special order jobbie)

(Which actually would not be a shock the way things are going! ).

So all we need now is someone with a one piece stock, with the stud and nut / cap style grip fixing, and we will have every combination

ATB, Ed

Hi Mark, That's interesting for me anyway, as I have never seen a 3 piece with the slotted head bolt fixing, and two have now popped up already in this thread, (unless you have a rare 2 piece special order jobbie)

(Which actually would not be a shock the way things are going! ).

So all we need now is someone with a one piece stock, with the stud and nut / cap style grip fixing, and we will have every combination

ATB, Ed
    Well Dean's at least because the history is known is all genuine MK1.In my case though, I could have a MK1 action in a MK2 stock with a MK2 stock bolt.
    I will never know for sure,but I like to think of it as a rarer version of the MK1,though if I'm honest I prefer the BSA logo'd MK1 stock and bolt plug.
    Mine is definately three piece I have just been outside in the remainder of the light and had a look through a magnifying glass which has shown up the joint very faintly on the left hand side of the stock too ,so no special order two piecer I am afraid!

ATB,
    Mark.

Mk1 Airsporter

Well I am sorry, I have got a mk1 with a one piece stock, the stud and nut also the plug! it has no BSA Logo.
    Now I know that it is sometimes difficult to see the join but I am pretty sure it is a one piece stock as I have others to compare ATB