Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air pistol for a Stroke victim?

Air pistol for a Stroke victim?

Just been chatting to a neighbor who is a nice ol chap, said he used to be into airguns as a kid and knows I like a messing with my springers so came to ask some advice.

He had a stroke a while back and has lost some of the movement in one of his hands but is interested in getting a air pistol as a rifle might be a bit too much for his back garden plinking + he can hide it from his missus!!

Now I think a HW45 would be out the question as cocking it all the time might give his hand some grief but I imagine he will want a proper pellet pistol in either caliber for target shooting at around 10-15 yards and not a BB style gun, I have never got into pistols so am looking for advice here for him, is there Co2 pistols that are better than just their looks (I cant see the point in a Desert eagle Co2 if its going to throw pellets all round the garden) or are there easy to cock springer pistols?

Bit of a noob at pistols so any advice welcome...cheeers
    1970 FWB 300 - FWB 127 Sport - HW80 1983 - 1984 HW77K - HW30S - HW35 - AIRMASTERS 77FTS
    TX200 Mk2 .22 - TX200 Mk2 .177 - TX200SR Mk1 .177 Walnut - PROSPORT.177

If he has one good hand, then a Gat type is probably the ideal starting point.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Take a look at the Drulov DU 10. CO2 powered five shot semi-auto. Adjustable anatomic grip. Adjustable trigger. Very accurate. Uses CO2 to cycle the action so no nasty rotary magazine.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I'd suggest a Sheridan EB22.

Definitely not a Gat - it will probably put him off altogether. I can understand the reason why it was suggested, but I think most people are put off by the lack of accuracy/repeatability.

CO2 almost certainly the way to go for someone with limited movement in one hand.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Sounds good that there are accurate Co2 pistols..

He has movement to quite a degree in his hand but the thought of him having to cock a HW45 style pistol I think would put him off, with the advice given here I will look out in the sales section for him, once he gets one then I'll take him to a local range and he can have a go on my springers and see how he finds that too..
    1970 FWB 300 - FWB 127 Sport - HW80 1983 - 1984 HW77K - HW30S - HW35 - AIRMASTERS 77FTS

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I'd suggest a Sheridan EB22.

Definitely not a Gat - it will probably put him off altogether. I can understand the reason why it was suggested, but I think most people are put off by the lack of accuracy/repeatability.

CO2 almost certainly the way to go for someone with limited movement in one hand.
    Yes I can see your points, maybe the best solution is find a nearby club where he can try a few, then decide based on ease of operation and budget.

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post
    Yes I can see your points, maybe the best solution is find a nearby club where he can try a few, then decide based on ease of operation and budget.
    Actually, I think this is the best suggestion.

Sorry, re-reading my response above, it seems a bit abrupt and dogmatic. Not intended and I'm glad you realised that
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post
    We live in Bristol and clubs are non existence, my local range is in another country - Newport, Wales!! Said he wouldn't want to go past £200 which is quite a big budget so the EB22 is well within his range + he can fill up on pellets and Co2 and still have some change..

Crosman 357? Cheap, ten pellet rotary mag, rifled barrel. Could be used sa only for best accuracy. More for plinking than target but pretty good. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

There is an FWB C10 match pistol in sales for £190 posted.

Of course it needs a bulk CO2 tank, butlot of gun for the money and beats the crap out of the cheap CO2 guns.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Seen this one?
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

[QUOTE=murkywaters;6071875]Just been chatting to a neighbor who is a nice ol chap, said he used to be into airguns as a kid and knows I like a messing with my springers so came to ask some advice.

He had a stroke a while back and has lost some of the movement in one of his hands but is interested in getting a air pistol as a rifle might be a bit too much for his back garden plinking + he can hide it from his missus!!
    Good airpistols that spring to mind are:[RECORD] mod.1-;light in the grip,easy to cock and smoothbored(SB) taking the tactile tufted- dart,perhaps the most low=powered airpistol new out-of the-box and perfect for shooting in the lobby/living room or across the backgarden at a stout cardboard box suitably stuffed with coloured [bisley] bullseye targets perhaps glued-on;the more accurate .r ifled [mod.2 airpistol kit] is offered by the [record] concern(germany) complete with target holder/pell-catcher but the .177 pell may prove too fiddly for the old fella's wife..fnarr fnarr also ghasguns loading the slippery BB in stick magazine.
    I f the dart appeals then you have the delightfully priced [SMK] mod.S2 .22 (SB),a virtual duplicate of the classic [diana] mod.5 of nineteen twenty-six,made now in china-the bulbous wooden haft of the [s2] may fit the guy's hand more readily than the ergonomical RH/LH/ambidextrous grips on the up-styled models available from the colchester -based [SMK]-;basic[s2] has a short barrel quite tough to cock and the large foresight -blade can do with some smoothing of the sharp edges with a swiss file but at the end of it you'll have a super little airpistol loading a bigger-sized ,easier to handle .22 dart (must be available somewhere for I have'nt see em for a while in scotland)-for livingroom use(zimmerstutzen)get a gunsmith to shorten the spring so dart does'nt fly too briskly (to be cont'd._Regards Hu hellaxe

Nobody has yet mentioned the Crosman 2240!
    Cheap as chips (£70 if you shop around), accurate as anything else and easily tweakable. The worst bit from new is the trigger but that's easily sorted by squashing the sear spring a little, which takes all of 2 minutes.
    Out of the box they do about 4.5 ftlbs and if you fit a silencer they are virtually, well, silent!
    Last edited by Biker_Bob; 16-08-2013 at 08:18 AM.

cont'd.
    If you aim to build-up your wrists then the [webley] overbarrel-cocking pistols are perfect and if you can secure one such as a "junior" would prove fine with eminent ease in the cocking for short range plinking/target work-even if pistol is rifled you could still use darts though the barrel would be degraded by the dart's steel nose resulting in ,at worst,fairground standard accuracy;if you really want a challenge for the wrist and forearm then the pre-war [haenel] mod.s 27/28 are perhaps the ultimate challenge in this regard~as issued to the Hitler Jugend, the [haenel]has the same pleasing pointability and easy to pick-up foresight as the famous Luger.
    The pistol shooting stance offering the most isometric challenge is the "modified Weaver" (keeping both eyes open and concentrating on the front=sight).If you might find the repeated cocking of a mainspring tiresome then there are certain singl-shot gasguns,some using compressed air cylinders others CO2 where there is only the matter of cocking a small bolt,popping pell into a loading tray and forcing the bolt home-;the English makers excell here in the PCP e.g .Steve Harper bespoke airguns(perjaps even in the rather massive .25 cal./nr.3 bore)and there is also the fine [sheridan/crosman] "EB" series gasgun to be sure,single shot,and large CO2reservoir taking two bulbs in the action-a most pleasing pistol in the .20 cal exploiting a stiffer hammer -spring, one inside the other [relum]-style,the heavier pell delivering an efficient whack also single-shot airpistols such as the old [benjamin]pneumatic have a large pump-lever with which the receiver can be readily charged to deliver different velocities from parlour to huntin' vermin-here you might find the match-orientated [daisy] "powerline" range to your tasste.
    Perhaps the most desirable singl-stroke(s/s) pneumatic pistol is the [walther] LP 3(LuftPistole)whille the insouciant {FWB 65] sidelever is a breeze to cock and fires semi-recoilless but a bit tight getting the pell seated right enough.At the most budget end of the scale stands the push0cocker [gat],a classic [anschutz]-pattern children's gun from eighteen-ninety still prod.in USA but try to get an old English-made one as the current american rendition has a dreadful "lawyer-proof" trigger pull (don't be fooled by the unionjack box!)
    Shooting any pistol well demands an exacting discipline and an airsoft gun,loading the handy 6mm. plastic ball affords much good sport-the better using the dynamic "hop-up" system for higher vel.,most styled a ssemi-auto firearms requiring a firm grasp on the cocking piece/slide to cock and load from mag..The latest adult-sized maschinepistolen,battery operated and full-auto-all but the miniature children's popguns quite capable of punching thru a cornflake box across the livingroom and plasti BB can,like the dart can be re-used time and again (which makes them so popular in scotland ..hoots !)
    Rergards.
    Last edited by Hu hellaxe; 16-08-2013 at 02:20 PM.

backyard blasting

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Take a look at the Drulov DU 10. CO2 powered five shot semi-auto. Adjustable anatomic grip. Adjustable trigger. Very accurate. Uses CO2 to cycle the action so no nasty rotary magazine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Turnup,fascinated by your mention of this crazee gasgun-;we've done some research which led us to Republika Srpska in the balkans and received in mail a cd-rom and booklet on historic serbian arsenal from the rep.S, ministry of tr5ade-were kindly informed that this pattern gun,though orgionating in balkans and intended as a trainer for olympic rapidfire-pistol event is no longer made there so the question we have for you is please ,where can one get a [Drulov] mod. DU 10 thesedays ?
    My shooting buddy is presently looking thru our airgun mags for a piece on a (possibly)russian [makarov]-type gasgun feeding BB from a hopper on top of action which would be a more convenient method of loading the 4.45 mm steel (?) BB for this guy with stoke disability in the weaker lefthand as so often the case. FLASH*gasgun in question is the [baikal] mod.MP-655K ,rrp. hundred&seventy notes from [york guns] with choice of .177 pell repeating from chunky rotary mag alternatively one hundred .177 ball from neat hopper so ,if it's rifled there is room for plenty accurate shooting fun for the old-timer,if I may be so bold to put my finger in the pie .Regards.