Thread: HW 57 help

HW 57 help

Hi guys can anyone help with strip down instructions on my 57 as I can't find much detailed anywhere :-(
    I am not sure how the 4 metal caps are removed without damaging them? Also when removed will the rear trigger housing slide out?
    Thanks
    Paul

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Looking at the chambers diagram...
    https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24567/HW57/
    ...the rear end looks to be the same set up as a HW95. The caps can be pushed out from the inside with an allen key (sometimes you have to grind down the short end to fit). Once you have the caps on one side out, you can punch straight through to get to the other side. Once they are out you need to take the preload stress off the trigger housing, you can use a pound coin or similar wrapped in tape to do this: just put the coin on the floor, push the housing on to it and give it a small twist, and then carefully release the tension.
    This is a much better explanation of the above:
    http://www.freewebs.com/stripdowns/hw9895kstrip.htm

The one thing about that guide is that he doesn't put anything over the coin, so you could scratch the housing. Bit of tape will sort that.

I have no idea about the front end of the '57 though.
    Good deals with these members

Forgot this tip, posted on here:

"The four square plugs are under some spring pressure and very hard to release. You can get them out a lot easier if you compress on your coin/washer as you push the plugs with your modified allen key."

When I did mine it was really simple.
    Two pins and the trigger is out.
    Push the 4 square plugs out with a ground down allen key, they weren't under spring pressure.
    The pressure of the spring is held back by the end plug which has a lightbulb type bayonet fitting into the cylinder. Place an M12 nut on the bench and take the spring pressure up by pressing the action down onto it, then it's a little anti-clockwise twist (no more than 30 degrees) to disengage the bayonet and the end plug comes out.

There seem to be so many things holding the spring in on a HW57 its un-true! 2 x pins mainly for the trigger, the main trigger guard bolts, 4 little pins, plus the bit in the detent!

When I was messing with mine, I left the 4 plug pins out untill I was happy with the power level.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgeoff View Post
    There seem to be so many things holding the spring in on a HW57 its un-true! 2 x pins mainly for the trigger, the main trigger guard bolts, 4 little pins, plus the bit in the detent!

When I was messing with mine, I left the 4 plug pins out untill I was happy with the power level.
    You must be joking! Try stripping a BSA Lightning and you'll see what a POP it is stripping a 57/95!

Smile 57

Many thanks for the info guys much appreciated.
    Paul

Thers a strip guide for the HW95 (four parts as i recall ) on U TUBE by a German chap that might help , although he dose grease the cylinder first then pushes the piston in which is a no no as it leads to deiselling. Apart from that very good U TUBE search HW95 strip shows those four little blocks going in and out

Quote Originally Posted by Ninapuppy View Post
    Thers a strip guide for the HW95 (four parts as i recall ) on U TUBE by a German chap that might help , although he dose grease the cylinder first then pushes the piston in which is a no no as it leads to deiselling. Apart from that very good U TUBE search HW95 strip shows those four little blocks going in and out
    Thanks bud I'll look it up.
    Paul