Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000+ FPS 8mm Giffard HPA conversion

1000+ FPS 8mm Giffard HPA conversion

http://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.ne...08146982_n.jpg

Earlier this month I made myself a new cylinder for the Giffard. The original cylinder is in good condition and holds CO2 perfectly fine. But for everyday plinking, I figured I would convert the Giffard to HPA.

My Giffard will shoot the 8mm, 49grain ball at around 600fps producing around 40 Ftib at the muzzle on co2. Perfectly adequate and the co2 fill provides plenty of shots.

For me, filling the co2 reservoir can be a pain, as I use the large co2 tank mainly for craft brewing so need to swap fittings and invert bottle etc. So for ease of use I thought I'd swap to air.

The original cylinder was obviously intended for co2, but you can fill the cylinder with air to around 60 Bar and have enough air for a couple of shots. But thats it, any more air pressure then valve lock sets in and muzzle velocity drops off ...+ the cylinder was not intented for any any more pressure. Since your not going to start modifying your antique rifle fitting a new hammer spring, your out of look with the original cylinder.

So I designed the new cylinder to run on air with a assisted valve, which can be opened at much higher pressures by the relatively weak Giffard hammer / spring. So you leave the Giffard rifle untouched.

The new cylinder is the same diameter as the old one, but longer, stopping just short of the sling mount to give 130cc reservoir volume. Hopefully its aesthetically well in keeping, for the age and grace of the old girl.

With the cylinder fully topped up at 200bar, the rifle can thump out the ball just subsonic at 1030 fps, producing a whopping 115 Ftib.

Turned down a little you can get 15 shots at over 800 fps / 70 ftIB from a single fill. Or turn it down more for more shots.

It’s a real hoot to shoot

Chris

http://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.ne...93485490_n.jpg

giffard hpa conversion

That sounds great fun! Are these exempt from FAC because of age, or have you got it on ticket? Bet it does go through an old metal dustbin at full power! I'm impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    That sounds great fun! Are these exempt from FAC because of age, or have you got it on ticket? Bet it does go through an old metal dustbin at full power! I'm impressed.
    Antiques are only exempt under Section 58(2) if held as a Curiosity or Ornament. If there is any intent to use an antique gun it ceases to be afforded the exemption offered under Section 58(2) and becomes subject to relevant licence.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

Even though a Giffard is now classed as an antique and can be kept by a collector as part of a collection without a FAC, when used as a rifle and not just as a 'show piece' a FAC has to be in force.

NB. Sorry George, I hadn't seen your post when I posted this.
    Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

blah bah blah... let the Legal Eagles above argue over the Law elsewhere.

I would just like to say thank you for posting such an interesting gun and talking about your modifications..

I have always wondered about the performance of these old guns and you have allowed a glimpse at that.
    Cheers
    Alex

Yes its on ticket for shooting. Don't know about old metal bin penetration tests, but it shatters the balls into fragments. At over 100FTIB its more than capable of some damage.

The performance from old Giffards is great, with a telescopic sight mounted I can put up some cracking groups.

Hey Eric, did'nt realise you are just up the road.

Quote Originally Posted by albrown View Post
    blah bah blah... let the Legal Eagles above argue over the Law elsewhere.
    Junglie asked a question, both Eric and myself replied. We both said the same thing, that's not arguing, it's simply answering Junglie's question with factual answers.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

HPA giffard

Quote Originally Posted by Buxton View Post
    Yes its on ticket for shooting. Don't know about old metal bin penetration tests, but it shatters the balls into fragments. At over 100FTIB its more than capable of some damage.

The performance from old Giffards is great, with a telescopic sight mounted I can put up some cracking groups.

Hey Eric, did'nt realise you are just up the road.
    I was curious about the fac status & pleased to see such a nice old gun being actually used! The dustbin quip was tonque in cheek. Well out of my price range owning one but thanks for an interesting post,wonder what the accuracy would be like with a good custom slug molded bullet?

There's some thought and skill gone into that, thanks for posting

Reckon it would be good competition for the Daystate Wolvernine, only it looks better and has some seriously impressive history behind it. Fascinating stuff and well done that man!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Hi
    I recently had chance to shoot this gun ..... Oh yes it does make an impressive bang !!!

Great that it is still in use
    Cheers
    Si

Any thoughts of making a kit for sale?

Hi Buxton, it's wonderful to see the results of your elegant thinking. I have long wondered about getting the old Giffard working in anger. With no arcane regulations over here in the US, I would be seriously interested in obtaining a kit of parts for your bolt-on modification. Any chance of that happening?

Best regards,

Marc DV

Yes,over here we are only allowed guns that go pop!

To have one that goes bang requires an FAC!

Such is the land of Draconia!

ATB.
    Last edited by mrto; 24-08-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Just took another look at the picture of said beast. What a cracking bit of history you have managed to revive there. Surely the airgun equivalent of a Purdey?

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Groupings good

The other day I fitted a telescopic sight to my 8mm Giffard for some accuracy

It was grouping at around 1" at 50 yards with home cast 8mm balls at around 1000fps

Groups much better at this velocity than it does on co2 at longer ranges.