Thread: Blow back gas query ?

Blow back gas query ?

At the range last Tuesday and just happen to mention was going in the shop for a can of green gas and one of the chaps said "why don't you use cigarette lighter gas" well I was speechless but he assured me it was the same, I really find that hard to believe that green gas is flammable so perhaps someone will enlighten me

Green gas is propane mixed with a small amount of lubricant. Cigarette lighter fluid is butane. You can use propane (Colman cylinders are popular) but not designed for butane. Butane is stored with a much lower pressure so won't cycle the action very well. Hope that helps.

Green gas is flammable by the way.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnpurslow View Post
    Green gas is propane mixed with a small amount of lubricant. Cigarette lighter fluid is butane. You can use propane (Colman cylinders are popular) but not designed for butane. Butane is stored with a much lower pressure so won't cycle the action very well. Hope that helps.
    As above, I tried to fill my little glock up with lighter fluid before my greengas was delivered, I did get a few shots - but only a few.
    Good deals with these members

You can get an adapter to fit blow torch propane canisters so you can fill your green gas guns more cheaply.

Baz

secretagentmole Guest
    Aint very green is it? Unburnt hydrocarbons bogging off into the atmosphere, might as well stick with bad old CO2 at least plants can absorb that!

Cow farts contain methane so you can't win.Protecting the planet is just like treading water as it is eventually going to be completely burnt up.

Baz

secretagentmole Guest
    I know but why call it green gas if it is environmentally more damaging than the gas it replaced ie CO2?

By the way if you tread water you will exhale carbon dioxide, methane too if you fart!

Global warming is invented to keep scientists employed and tax us out of existence!

I don't need to tread water to give off those gases, just normal living! Do not know why they call it green gas, suppose they are trying to hide the reality.

Baz

Would have thought propane is denser than air so won't really cause any greenhouse issues. I'm no expert though.

Think the 'green' bit is down to how it was stored in industry as refrigeration gas is still referred to as red gas.

P.s I could be wrong on all of the above.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    The bad news about using propane instead of green gas is that you must remember to add oil to the adapter each time you fill the gun and more importantly it stinks!

They add a fart smell to propane to let you know when it escapes!

Not good if you shoot indoors

Cheers

John

PS My son uses propane on his air soft pistols and I've banned him from firing it indoors
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

green gas

bought a can of Abbey Ultra gas and its says on the can " Extremely Inflammable " so that's told me, but it does have a lubricant to keep your pistol in good order

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by middaycowboy View Post
    bought a can of Abbey Ultra gas and its says on the can " Extremely Inflammable " so that's told me, but it does have a lubricant to keep your pistol in good order
    Yup, another good reason to stop smoking if you shoot gas guns

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Aint very green is it? Unburnt hydrocarbons bogging off into the atmosphere, might as well stick with bad old CO2 at least plants can absorb that!
    Exactly what i was thinking.

Maybe the company made a typo, Its actually supposed to say " Green house gas"