Thread: Interesting findings of Walther LP53 and Lucznik

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAZY View Post
    I love the lp53 and have not yet had mine apart, I was always a bit put off that I may end up damaging the finish to the grip cap. I have seen this recommended to be done with a soft metal strap twisted tight around like an oil filter remover, but I've never been too sure on this. That aside I would love to improve the feel of the pistol as it always seemed a bit clunky when shot and not so much bang for your buck in the power stakes.
    No my friend its dead easy to remove. Just unscrew anti clockwise but with the palm of your left hand driving upward slightly as you unscrew in anticipation to receive the jolt as the cap comes free. Its not under spring compressor like forces but enough to fly down to your balls if your not careful.
    At this point there is nothing to lose, no trigger springs to go flying off....just the 2 mainsprings that you can inspect and lightly grease. The cap and springs come out with about 10lbs of force under approx. 30mm of preload. You will easily cope with it but I would not recommend the operation for a junior.
    Its getting the piston out where your problems start. So if your not a bit handy mechanically stop here.
    When you put your grip cap back on you need to drive upward and turn at the same time. Put a tiny drop of lube on the threads to help if wanted but ive never manage to damage the finish any in many strip downs.
    Its possibly the easiest gun to access the springs but the hardest with the piston. You need to get the cocking pawl out to do that, which requires the pin tapping out which sits under the grips so the grip panels need to come off first.
    I can give you an instant 20fps with a thruster washer to sit under your springs, machined from self lubricating Delrin. but I have not moved into the world of Walther 53 tuning because the piston head is such a complex little bugger to allow easy mods.
    I will post more regarding the performance of this P18 spring in the Walther and possible a Delrin guide rod but it requires careful planning, measuring and try out before I would report anything positive here.
    Last edited by clarky; 25-08-2013 at 08:35 PM.