Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Webley Premier thrashes Feinwerkbau 65.

Webley Premier thrashes Feinwerkbau 65.

Imagine the tension. Herr IJ Steyr versus Hippo during club pistol competition. Herr Steyr using a nice FWB 65, and Paul "Hippo" a "D" marked Premier (like the one of mine that Jones chucked in the bin the other night as fit for nothing.)

We shoot many competitions in our club, but this one is for classic pistols. Just to give you an idea of what an average pistol shot scores, I managed 146 ex 200 with my Hammerli Master and was not that unhappy.

However, we have in our midst some genuinely excellent pistol shots. One of these godlike individuals is Paul "Hippo" Wray. He can literally shoot anything well and would probably still beat everybody using a Gat firing corks. Just to prove this strange ability, Hippo used his tidy .177 Premier in todays comp. Herr Steyr Jones used a "proper" recoilless FWB 65 and totaled an impressive 184. Even I had to admit it was good, and it was a personal best for Ian. Anyway, leaving his cards to the last hour, Paul hit the red light button and we left him to it. Returning shortly later with the shot cards, it was clear to see that he had, as usual, scored well. Would he manage to beat IJ? I am delighted to report that Hippo managed 190 (proper score now included) with his "Wobbly."

Just goes to prove that a talented shot with an old Wobbly is still capable of usurping a proper target pistol.
    Not that I will ever be able to match such performance, but it proves that it can be done with one of Birmingham's classics in the hands of an expert.

Never mind Ian, there is always next month! ( laughs behind closed hand)

Andy
    Last edited by Amac; 25-08-2013 at 09:48 PM.
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Paul scored a 190 Andy, as you said a serious thrashing of zee cherman pistols by British workmanship the result was never in doubt
    I just wish I could find such a fine match pistol instead of having to do the best I can with inferior German technology

Well spotted John! In my excitement I dropped Hippos score by ten. I wouldn't be surprised if either you or Ian will eventually manage to knock the large grey water horse of his perch eventually. But I doubt it unfortunately. Long live the Wobbly Hippo!!!

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Imagine the tension. Herr IJ Steyr versus Hippo during club pistol competition. Herr Steyr using a nice FWB 65, and Paul "Hippo" a "D" marked Premier (like the one of mine that Jones chucked in the bin the other night as fit for nothing.)

We shoot many competitions in our club, but this one is for classic pistols. Just to give you an idea of what an average pistol shot scores, I managed 146 ex 200 with my Hammerli Master and was not that unhappy.

However, we have in our midst some genuinely excellent pistol shots. One of these godlike individuals is Paul "Hippo" Wray. He can literally shoot anything well and would probably still beat everybody using a Gat firing corks. Just to prove this strange ability, Hippo used his tidy .177 Premier in todays comp. Herr Steyr Jones used a "proper" recoilless FWB 65 and totaled an impressive 184. Even I had to admit it was good, and it was a personal best for Ian. Anyway, leaving his cards to the last hour, Paul hit the red light button and we left him to it. Returning shortly later with the shot cards, it was clear to see that he had, as usual, scored well. Would he manage to beat IJ? I am delighted to report that Hippo managed 180 with his "Wobbly."

Just goes to prove that a talented shot with an old Wobbly is still capable of usurping a proper target pistol.
    Not that I will ever be able to match such performance, but it proves that it can be done with one of Birmingham's classics in the hands of an expert.

Andy
    Tis true. I managed a p.b. of 184 with my FWB65 and 'Hippo' a 180 with his Wobbly. But when I went to school, both days, 184 beats 180.
    I think its a for gone conclusion in the M.P.L. who is coming first! It makes you sick.
    Presently the second place is where all the action is and its between myself, John 'hospital' Ward (FAT STIG) with tied scores after 2 rounds with 'Skip' Wilson (MR FIXIT) yet to shoot.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I'm content to shoot in the shadow of Paul's hat Andy it's enough just to say I was there the day the mighty WEBLEY & it's champion took on the chermans & young Adolf Jones & not only won but did it in style
    Last edited by Fat stig; 25-08-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Mock ye may!
    Im quite prepared to compete equally amongst mere mortals - John ('Hospital' Ward, John 'Black Bess' Gould, Steve 'Skip' Wilson, Steve Wright (in the afternoon) etc. 'Hippo' is planning to take up F.T. rifle shooting and will soon be engrossed in pellet washing/Bicing/sizing, parallax, bottom cushions etc etc etc and hopefully his guard will be down and I may sneak a win for RMTC in the 10m MPL pistol stakes and take over his 'orthopedic ' shoes.

ATB
    Ian

Wobbly

However, we have in our midst some genuinely excellent pistol shots. One of these godlike individuals is Paul "Hippo" Wray. He can literally shoot anything well and would probably still beat everybody using a Gat firing corks. Just to prove this strange ability, Hippo used his tidy .177 Premier in todays comp. Herr Steyr Jones used a "proper" recoilless FWB 65 and totaled an impressive 184. Even I had to admit it was good, and it was a personal best for Ian. Anyway, leaving his cards to the last hour, Paul hit the red light button and we left him to it. Returning shortly later with the shot cards, it was clear to see that he had, as usual, scored well. Would he manage to beat IJ? I am delighted to report that Hippo managed 180 with his "Wobbly."

Andy
    Thanks Andy for deducting 10 points from the Webleys score to save IJs Germanic pride ;-) Your just too kind ;-) ;-)
    The truth is I'm rather embarressed to be shooting a vastly superior BRITISH steel target pistol against Herr Adolf's inferior ally Feinwerkbau 65.
    I know he has struggled valiantly trying to match the Wobleys 500 gm trigger, anatomical grip and sludge recoiless system :-)
    Still class will out :-). If Carlsburg made pistols...... etc etc :-)
    Now where did I put that pellet washer.....
    Wobbly Hippo

The problem is Ian that "Hippo" would probably still beat all of you decent pistol shots even after an FT hiatus. He really is that good, as I am sure you would agree. He partnered me around an HFT course at Turton shooting his springer the other week and was impressive with that as well. Once he has sussed range finding he will probably start beating everybody there too. I reckon we need to break his fingers, but not before my Wobbly is fettled!!!!

Incidentally, sear and spring now ordered from Knibbs.

Andy

The problem is Ian that "Hippo" would probably still beat all of you decent pistol shots even after an FT hiatus. He really is that good, as I am sure you would agree. He partnered me around an HFT course at Turton shooting his springer the other week and was impressive with that as well. Once he has sussed range finding he will probably start beating everybody there too. I reckon we need to break his fingers, but not before my Wobbly is fettled!!!!

Incidentally, sear and spring now ordered from Knibbs.

Andy
    Oh I know he is. Sickening innit! Hopefully once hes got into the swing of F.T. rifle compts and pellet washing, lubing, sizing, weighing, and hemorrhoid resting, parallaxing, hamsters, etc he will give us 10m pistol competitors a rest.

It would be interesting to know if that faulty Wobbly sear really was faulty or were they designed with a curved sear for more contact area? Also that unfinished spring is more in keeping with some late Weihrauch (main spring) models.
    Not only can 'Hippo' shoot them he can fix them as well! It shouldn't be allowed.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 25-08-2013 at 10:37 PM.

A very interesting thread

I have a nice .177 Premier that IJ can have a practice with (in total confidence ) at RMTC during the week where nobody will see him !
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    A very interesting thread

I have a nice .177 Premier that IJ can have a practice with (in total confidence ) at RMTC during the week where nobody will see him !
    Aaaah - here comes the third wise monkey.

Yes Bob I will practice with the Premier as its cricket season and I need to practice my over arm throw. I will provide the rubber gloves.

ATB
    Ian

That sounds like some very good pistol shooting. I allso have an Hammerli Master and the Webleys. Dont know about you but find the handaling/ recoel beahaviour is very differnet between the early model Webley and the latter alloy versions.

Quote Originally Posted by fat man View Post
    That sounds like some very good pistol shooting. I allso have an Hammerli Master and the Webleys. Dont know about you but find the handaling/ recoel beahaviour is very differnet between the early model Webley and the latter alloy versions.
    I'm the first to admit that Paul (Hippo) is an exceptional pistol shot. (Rifle ??? ). Its sickening. I just hope he never buys a Gat!

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I'm the first to admit that Paul (Hippo) is an exceptional pistol shot.

ATB
    Ian
    You should also admit that the Webley spring powered air pistols as not as bad as you promote them to be and that they do have a certain charm and fascination - and they can also be very good and accurate performers in the hands of those that enjoy shooting them.

The Webley spring powered air pistols are also a very interesting group of heritage pistols to many collectors who enjoy owning and shooting them.

Wise monkey's know best!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    You should also admit that the Webley spring powered air pistols as not as bad as you promote them to be and that they do have a certain charm and fascination - and they can also be very good and accurate performers in the hands of those that enjoy shooting them.

The Webley spring powered air pistols are also a very interesting group of heritage pistols to many collectors who enjoy owning and shooting them.

Wise monkey's know best!
    '... charm and fascination...' ? Yes, I suppose they do. Charm if you like pulling your pistol to pieces on a very regular basis and 'fascination' that these this work in the first place with their tortured air transfer system.
    Yes, I can see why people collect them as they have some airgun history but then again people collect house bricks, barbed wire, stamps .......
    The fact that some people like Hippo [looks north and spits] can shoot ANYTHING well is just sickening.

Ava banana!