Thread: Premier trigger sear profile

Premier trigger sear profile

Serious question folks.

Following Hippos removal of my wayward Premiers trigger sear, Hippo, IJ and myself wondered if the rounded profile is deliberately that shape to allow an improved contact area with the piston? If not, I can only presume that the profile of the clearly worn component really was that bad. Lets face it, the gun has only managed 40 odd years without the trigger being repaired previously. Incidentally, as Hippo pointed out, the none contact edges were still as sharp as a razor, with the contact point suffering a slight chip.

After witnessing Hippo rolling over and squashing Herr Jones and his FWB 65 this afternoon, I cant wait to get mine working properly once again. Will I ever be able to shoot my own .22 example as well as Hippo? Not in several million years of trying.

I also reckon Fat Stig should now be searching for a suitable Wobbly to join in the fun. In fact, anybody who has a Wobbly that hasn't tried some informal (or formal for that matter) target shooting should be dusting down their Wobblys and having a lot of fun. There is more to life than expensive target pistols.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

When you buy a new sear the top ( engagement) surface is flat with no cut out. Once fitted it soon wears down in the centre to a small 'u' shape, then it stays like that for years. until one day it won't hold any longer.
    I have often tried to re face the engagement surface to no avail .
    Pete.

Webley pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Serious question folks.

Following Hippos removal of my wayward Premiers trigger sear, Hippo, IJ and myself wondered if the rounded profile is deliberately that shape to allow an improved contact area with the piston? If not, I can only presume that the profile of the clearly worn component really was that bad. Lets face it, the gun has only managed 40 odd years without the trigger being repaired previously. Incidentally, as Hippo pointed out, the none contact edges were still as sharp as a razor, with the contact point suffering a slight chip.

After witnessing Hippo rolling over and squashing Herr Jones and his FWB 65 this afternoon, I cant wait to get mine working properly once again. Will I ever be able to shoot my own .22 example as well as Hippo? Not in several million years of trying.

I also reckon Fat Stig should now be searching for a suitable Wobbly to join in the fun. In fact, anybody who has a Wobbly that hasn't tried some informal (or formal for that matter) target shooting should be dusting down their Wobblys and having a lot of fun. There is more to life than expensive target pistols.

Andy
    You may find the .22's eaasier to shoot accurately, I did, they like .22 thunderbolt ammo too & rws hobbies. Love this thread btw chaps. reminds me of the pleasure I used to get from beating the pants off much more expensive cars & bikes on a £300 z550 kawasaki in the 80's (it's not what you've got/can afford it's how you use it!).

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    When you buy a new sear the top ( engagement) surface is flat with no cut out. Once fitted it soon wears down in the centre to a small 'u' shape, then it stays like that for years. until one day it won't hold any longer.

Pete.
    ....and thats the day the trigger releases after youve cocked it and gives your knuckles a 'reet good slap'!
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Didnt have a Z550 but owned a GPZ 750. Always wanted but couldn't afford the 900. A mate of mine could do us all on his GS550 Suzuki!

Thanks for the info on the sear profile chaps.

Andy

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    I have often tried to re face the engagement surface to no avail .
    Pete.
    I had a knackered sear out of a Premier mk2. The replacement from Nibbs needed a lot taking off the underside with an angle grinder before it would fit.
    Anyhow, Id had a go at stoning the old sear with no success but after reading this thread thought I would have another go. The angle grinder came out again and I ground the face that holds the piston, taking out the worn bit. I tried the sear in the pistol on its own and the gun would cock and release when the sear was pressed. However, when the trigger was fitted, the gun would not cock. Because of wear in the sear and taking material off, the front of the sear had move more to engage. As a result, the rear has to move down more and fouls on the top of the trigger. I tried to grind the underside of the ledge of the sear but it became very thin and still fouled on the trigger. I did not want to touch the trigger, so left it at that. Interesting (to me) experiment.

Ps---Re the sear from Nibbs. not sure if it would need as much taking off. I never thought "will require fitting" would mean getting an angle grinder out.
    Last edited by ggggr; 27-08-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Thanks Guy. Your experiment is certainly useful to be aware of. We also wondered if the old sear could be re-worked. Looks like it will be some effort to fit the new one though!

Andy