Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The "E-Types"of air pistols!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Surely if we are talking classic of the era and sleek good looks it has to be the Walther lp53
    I think that Clarky is right; in terms of quality, design and feel, the Walther LP53 is probably the ONLY pistol you could compare to an E-Type Jaguar.

The Benjamin is a crude but reliable work-horse, a bit more like a Volkswagen Beetle.

E type, maybe we should compare the guns to something reliable E-type is beutiful to look at, but the 2 I have driven were great for about 40 mins out of the afternoon at a track day , then well Leyland build "quality" took over and they didnt want to play anymore, maybe it should be compared to a Mercadies which are reliable and often beutiful.

Mercadies? You mean Mercedes? I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but German cars in general are rarely beautiful. They may be well made and technically great cars, but I'm convinced that Germans, while being superb engineers and craftsmen, are unable to design something truly beautiful or graceful. German cars just look lumpen and ugly next to cars like Jaguars and Aston Martins, just as FW190s and ME110s have none of the grace and beauty that Spitfires or DeHavilland Mosquitos possess. I'm not being racist about it, I'm suggesting it's a cultural thing.

A good friend of mine has a Walther LP53, and while it's well made and technically a good design I could never call it beautiful.

How about

the "gull wing" Merc,Rob?

[QUOTE=Rob M;6086651]Mercadies? You mean Mercedes? I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but German cars in general are rarely beautiful. They may be well made and technically great cars, but I'm convinced that Germans, while being superb engineers and craftsmen, are unable to design something truly beautiful or graceful. German cars just look lumpen and ugly next to cars like Jaguars and Aston Martins, just as FW190s and ME110s have none of the grace and beauty that Spitfires or DeHavilland Mosquitos possess. I'm not being racist about it, I'm suggesting it's a cultural thing.

Ummm. Not air pistols but the GERMAN Luger (P08) and MP40 are lovely to look at. I'd go so far as saying the best looking in their fields.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    exactly.

[QUOTE=barryeye;6086752]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Mercadies? You mean Mercedes? I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but German cars in general are rarely beautiful. They may be well made and technically great cars, but I'm convinced that Germans, while being superb engineers and craftsmen, are unable to design something truly beautiful or graceful. German cars just look lumpen and ugly next to cars like Jaguars and Aston Martins, just as FW190s and ME110s have none of the grace and beauty that Spitfires or DeHavilland Mosquitos possess. I'm not being racist about it, I'm suggesting it's a cultural thing.

Ummm. Not air pistols but the GERMAN Luger (P08) and MP40 are lovely to look at. I'd go so far as saying the best looking in their fields.
    yes on the spit and mossie, yes on the Me109, but no on the fw 190, truley a superb machine, the ta152 for example eassily out performing p51d mustangs when the designer Tank was on a test flight and the Mustang was no slouch was it mp40 is ugly but effective, to me a beutiful pistol is the Mauser C96, a classic that fits together by perfect interlocking parts, has long as its clean and well cared for it works perfectly.respect.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    That's one of the better ones I'll grant you but it's still not that beautiful to me. It's got good proportions but I don't think its lines are very pretty.
    Last edited by Rob M; 30-08-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by barryeye View Post
    I rarely find weapons that beautiful as they are simply designed to be efficient, reliable and designed for the job in had, with no room for design flourish or graceful lines. Air rifles, air pistols and sporting arms for the civilian market are different and can be beautiful sometimes. If you like them that's fine but I think that it's extremely rare that something designed from a purely utilitarian point of view is truly beautiful.

I'd agree for the most part; most firearms and most pellet guns don't strike me as being particularly beautiful, at least not in the way an E-type (or an Opal GT, or a few other classic sportscars) certainly is. Not being a driver I'm not up on the mechanical failings of the Jaguar, only have a vague hearsay knowledge that they can be challenging to maintain as can the MG models, or Ferraris for that matter. That said, I do find a few air pistols rather lovely. I've seen a couple of examples of Hy-Score pistols which looked very nice, though I can't quite say I'm a fan. My near-mint early 1950's Webley Senior is a fine looking thing, but it's not got the flowing lines of a Jag. The beauty is more about simple functionality and expert machining than any artistic sort of beauty.

My latest air pistol purchase was a Pardini K12. To my eyes and hands it's beautiful, but again this is the beauty found in near-perfect functionality. With its simple and reliable recoil absorber it can drive pellet into pellet skirt again and again. I am left to live up to that level of accuracy in competition and appreciate that challenge, that there is nothing but my limitations of skill in the way of a perfect 600 score in a match. With the grip I've carved to fit my hand perfectly there is some improvement as a sculptural object over the utilitarian stock grip... but it's still just a production pistol, not an art object.

http://www.luthier.ca/other/forum/K12.jpg

If you want E-type beauty, then it can only be two IMHO

Firstly, and arguably the most beautiful elegant pistol ever made, has got to be the Brown Pneumatic. Second for me , has to be the rare Tell 3 pistol. Rare, elegant, quirky innovative designs both, and if they were cars, both would turn heads if they drove past you for sure....

Oh my, the Brown certainly is beautiful! Never heard of that one before. But the Tell 3? First time seeing that as well, but it seems rather that the beauty is in the simplicity, not in the actual appearance of the pistol. A bit clunky to be frank.

For one moment I thought you had posted a pic of your Wobbly Gerard! Never mind, the Pardini is looking good too.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !