Thread: Webley Service MK11??

Webley Service MK11??

Like many I have a large collection of air rifles and pistols.A glaring omission from my collection of rifles is the Webley Service MK2 I just don't think they are worth the asking price!
    I know they are widely sought after by many and highly prized in collections,but why, when compared to pre-war BSA's for example do they command such a high price, they are after all mostly far from rare and as a design inferior.
    I suppose what I am looking for are reasons to justify the expense.

I should add that there are many features of the Service MK11 that I find interesting and I also consider the rifle quite elegant.
    Last edited by mrto; 29-08-2013 at 10:12 AM.

I think there are, or rather was about 80'000 BSA underlevers on the planet compaired to about 15'000 W/S MK2.

I tend to agree that the BSA will out shoot the Webley though.

Hello,

For me the attraction of the Mk2 Service lies in it's slightly unorthodox appearance with the bolt breech closure arrangement providing a nice touch. The ease with which barrels of different calibre can be made is also important provided of course that you can source them in the first place.

Having said that, if I were buying an new air rifle back in the 1930s it would definitely have been be a BSA that
    got my vote.

I guess from a collecting point of view you just have to own both.

Regards

Brian

Mk 2 Service

I would tend to agree that, looking at it in a practical sense through the eyes of a contemporary buyer, the BSA is the better shooter. Superior in the ergonomics and handling end of things as well, IMHO.

But to me the appeal of the Mk 2 mostly lies in the sheer novelty and complexity of its design, and quality of its construction. The "backwards" spring and piston, compact break-down construction with interchangeable barrels, foolproof breech lockup, and built-in aperture sight are wonderful features that have never again been duplicated in a sporting rifle (at least, not all together in the same rifle!). And quite rare here in the US I might add.

A friend of mine likes to say my Mk 2 looks like the result of a roomful of crusty old-time machinists all trying to out-do each other! And to me that sums it up well--it is utterly unique, and a treat to handle, shoot, or just look at.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post

But to me the appeal of the Mk 2 mostly lies in the sheer novelty and complexity of its design, and quality of its construction. The "backwards" spring and piston, compact break-down construction with interchangeable barrels, foolproof breech lockup, and built-in aperture sight are wonderful features that have never again been duplicated in a sporting rifle (at least, not all together in the same rifle!). And quite rare here in the US I might add.

A friend of mine likes to say my Mk 2 looks like the result of a roomful of crusty old-time machinists all trying to out-do each other! And to me that sums it up well--it is utterly unique, and a treat to handle, shoot, or just look at.
    Can't really add anything to that, which is why the Webley Service Mk.II is my all time favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Like many I have a large collection of air rifles and pistols.A glaring omission from my collection of rifles is the Webley Service MK2 I just don't think they are worth the asking price!
    I know they are widely sought after by many and highly prized in collections,but why, when compared to pre-war BSA's for example do they command such a high price, they are after all mostly far from rare and as a design inferior.
    I suppose what I am looking for are reasons to justify the expense.

I should add that there are many features of the Service MK11 that I find interesting and I also consider the rifle quite elegant.
    Dear mrto,Not that many made(comparatively)many of them now gone forever,rarity raises prices,try and get a cheap Giffard rifle,same story.Rarity and quality will always come at a price.I preferred my MK3 to be honest!,good luck with your search,keep saving those pennies!,all the best,Jim.
    "Never push your granny,while she's shaving!".

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    I would tend to agree that, looking at it in a practical sense through the eyes of a contemporary buyer, the BSA is the better shooter. Superior in the ergonomics and handling end of things as well, IMHO.

A great assessment, I really like them too, but just can't get on with them from a shooting point of view so I use old BSA's, but for sure they are one of the best looking and most interesting design vintage rifles.

ATB, Ed

Thanks for all your responses.Probably one day I will lash out for one of these as the mood takes me,but with considerable reservations, at least initially!

ATB.

Doomed!.

Thanks for all your responses.Probably one day I will lash out for one of these as the mood takes me,but with considerable reservations, at least initially!

ATB.
    Resistance is futile.
    "Never push your granny,while she's shaving!".

I know and I will get a Giffard too one day,but incidentally I do think that they ARE worth the expense!
    Last edited by mrto; 31-08-2013 at 07:13 AM.

I know and I will get a Giffard too one day,but incidentally I do think that they ARE worth the expense!

......and nice examples are unlikely to reduce in price in the future.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    [/B]

......and nice examples are unlikely to reduce in price in the future.

Regards

Brian
    I hope not as l have 3 of them, they will be supplementing my pension.
    regards,
    Mick.