Thread: Question about nipples

Question about nipples

Hi my friend who is taking up BP art would like to pose a question via my self are SLIX(maker)shooter nipples better then the nipples supplied with gun as new and what advantage if any would you gain by fitting these as you know I haven't a clue so I've turned to you for help they have a vent hole drilled though them and also where can he buy them in the uk or would he have to buy from are cousins in the USA thank you from Frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

If he is intending to buy a NIB Ruger Old Army - never been fired kind of thing, then there is nothing like gthe original items. Because of the design they are good for many tens of thousands of shots with any kind of propellant suitable for a BP handgun - Pyrodex, Triple 7, Cleanshot and so on.

IF, however, he is buying one that NEEDS nipples replacing, then Uncles Mikes or Treso nipples are excellent replacements - the Uncle Mikes because they are of the same hex-head design of the originals and also made of stainless steel [so no new nipple wrench is needed - about £6-8], or the Treso because they are made of a strange and forever-lasting alloy of phosphor bronze. The Uncle Mikes cost around $15-16 at my local store in Springfield OR - that's less than a third of the horrendous price you get hiked for here in UK - so if he has relatives in the USA, then I suggest he makes use of them. Treso around $30 or so.

I have no experience of any other make of BP handguns on a personal level, but I'm told that Uncle Mikes or Treso phosphor Bronze nipples are the to-go replacemenents for those of other makes, too.

My choice is Uncle Mike's, since they are actually made in Oregon, a state I support on an annual basis by distributing copious amounts of dollars in many locations during our month or so over there with friends and relations.

tac

PS - never heard of Slix, but if they didn't have a vent-hole in them, they'd be called plugs, not nipples, unless this is something new that I've never heard of. I guess I could look em up and maybe learn something I didn't know.
    Last edited by tacfoley; 01-09-2013 at 04:38 PM.

slix nipples

If your mate needs them I think Alan at a&a guns in skegvegas could sort him out .

slix

I think these nipples have an extra hole in them to stop the caps getting blown off ?? They're on his website

I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

Just my opinion but i can't help thinking if you need new nipples, fine give em a go. Personally i don't have problems with any
    of the problems listed they claim to cure. Iv been using my Roger n Spencer for 12 years on the same nipples with no cap/nipple
    issues and although i bought a set of spares when i bought the gun new iv never used them. Same applies to my ROA,s no issues
    when using the right caps. I see A and A at Skeg also does nipples allowing Shotgun primers to be used. As i said, just my opinion
    and if these prove to give an advantage then i will happily buy some and give em a go but for now i will stick to what iv got. Keep
    us informed how your mate gets on. Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbob View Post
    If your mate needs them I think Alan at a&a guns in skegvegas could sort him out .
    Yup, he sure can, if you're happy to pay three times more than the real price, please go ahead.

Loads of luck, eh?

tac

I think these nipples have an extra hole in them to stop the caps getting blown off ?? They're on his website
    Ah, right.

tac

Thank you very much I have emailed him your link the ball is in his court now on his behalf thank you
    B.S.A.R Member

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Just my opinion but i can't help thinking if you need new nipples, fine give em a go. Personally i don't have problems with any
    of the problems listed they claim to cure. Iv been using my Roger n Spencer for 12 years on the same nipples with no cap/nipple
    issues and although i bought a set of spares when i bought the gun new iv never used them. Same applies to my ROA,s no issues
    when using the right caps. I see A and A at Skeg also does nipples allowing Shotgun primers to be used. As i said, just my opinion
    and if these prove to give an advantage then i will happily buy some and give em a go but for now i will stick to what iv got. Keep
    us informed how your mate gets on. Tim.
    Thank you your Information as also been passed on I personally will be using the nipples supplied with the gun at least until I know what I'm doing on his behalf thank you for Information supplied
    B.S.A.R Member

Mmmm

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    I see A and A at Skeg also does nipples allowing Shotgun primers to be used.
    Mmmmm next thing you know someone will be recommending NITRO powder too