Thread: Armscor .38 MLR powder charge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Armscor .38 MLR powder charge

Up until now I have been metering out the charge into fired .38 SP cases that I have kicking around and sealing them with the bullet I am going to use pushed gently into the top. It is however a bit of a faff and I have noticed that not all the powder comes out as some sticks to the inside of the case especially where some bullet lube has contaminated it which leads to a reduced charge from not a lot to start with. The other night I weighed out 3 gr of Herco and poured it into a fired .22 LR case and it was completely full with a slightly raised meniscus and I got to thinking that one of these soldered onto a rod would make a perfect dipper and was wondering if anybody else has tried this method. One scoop not struck off is the perfect charge.
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

All the muzzle loaders at my club use the 2ml plastic test tubes. I've just bought some to use. Then if any grains of powder stick to them you can see them and keep rattling it till it comes out

I have got a load of those but it is such a piddly little charge and unless you are very careful because the mouth of the vial is so much larger than the chamber it would be very easy to dump most of the charge on the bench or risk having some go into the adjacent chamber and risk overloading.
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

Small funnel? That's what I'm using

I want to make things as simple as I can without lugging around all the accoutrements of the BP shooter. Strip it back to the bare essentials. An empty case has a capacity of 0.34 cc so a powder flask with a small enough spout would do,

Fair one mate I've found some lovely real small funnels on fleabay