Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steyr LP10 or FWB P44

Steyr LP10 or FWB P44

I was looking for a FWB 103 as a stablemate for my Morini Short but rocking horse poo comes to mind here!
    So, I've decided to look for a decent second-hand full length pcp pistol such as the ones in the title....any opinions as to the better of the two or your own personal favourite would be much appreciated.
    I think I am leaning towards the P44 but am easily swayed.

Eric.

The P44 without a doubt.

I have improved my scores with mine, but they do take time to set up to the individual shooter.

I look at it a bit like a cheap set of golf clubs, compared to an expensive set. The cheap set will give you reasonable results out of the box, where you would ordinarily do badly with an expensive set at first. However, once adjusted correctly, and all your bad technique has been practiced out (as they are less forgiving), they will quickly start to out perform.

Kind regards,

Phil
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

down to personal choice really.
    but
    steyr have excellent service/parts/tech back up in harry preston.
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Try them both, pistols are a matter of individual taste. I own a Steyr LP10 and am very happy with it, but all of the rivals are just as good I'm sure. It is a very good point about service support though.... Steyr UK (Harry) is great, I don't even know if there is a FWB engineer in the UK...

Regards
    Fierynick

+Keep Calm and Shoot Tens+

Thanks for the feedback people...how did I know Phil would vote P44..

Eric.

I have owned both the Feinwerkbau P44 and the Steyr LP10 and know that both of them are more than capable of out-performing most if not all target shooters, so I suggest you have a go with both of them to see which one you prefer.

It would also be worth checking-out some of the other PCP match pistols that can also perform to the same high standards such as the SAM K14, Steyr LP2 and Benelli Kite.

I have not attempted to make a comprehensive list of all known PCP pistols - just a few to suggest a wider search pattern, and you may also like to consider some of the older Feinwerkbau PCP pistols that also perform amazingly well - but can be found at a more affordable price such as the P34 and P40.

You have also missed the much better value single shot CO2 match pistols that can give results every bit as good as the PCP pistols - but at a much lower price.

Good ones to have a go with would be the Feinwerkbau Model 2, C10 and C20 and the Walther CP2 and CP3 as well as the later Walther models.

The TAU 7 Match is a classic that can also perform along with the best of the PCP pistols and is now becoming highly sought after - and so like some of the older types already mentioned here they are very unlikely to loose much (if any) of their value over the next few years !

Single shot CO2 match pistols are also regarded as being a little more "forgiving" to shoot and should never never discounted without giving them a fair test first!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Why not

Forget the fwb and the LP10, there both quite nice pistols, but you already have a really good pistol.
    Why not just buy a standard length morini 162ei.

That way, you have a back up if one goes wrong, you don't have to relearn anything. Trigger is the same, as well as sight length, Ballance and feel are slightly different, but you could buy a blow off compensator and weight bar. If you fancy bit more of a change.

But you have another pistol.

Couple on Gunstar at the moment, around £800. Inc. mine for £850.

There is a real nice LP10 on this site for £1025 and a fwb P44 on stiron forum for £750.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I have owned both the Feinwerkbau P44 and the Steyr LP10 and know that both of them are more than capable of out-performing most if not all target shooters, so I suggest you have a go with both of them to see which one you prefer.

It would also be worth checking-out some of the other PCP match pistols that can also perform to the same high standards such as the SAM K14, Steyr LP2 and Benelli Kite.

I have not attempted to make a comprehensive list of all known PCP pistols - just a few to suggest a wider search pattern, and you may also like to consider some of the older Feinwerkbau PCP pistols that also perform amazingly well - but can be found at a more affordable price such as the P34 and P40.

You have also missed the much better value single shot CO2 match pistols that can give results every bit as good as the PCP pistols - but at a much lower price.

Good ones to have a go with would be the Feinwerkbau Model 2, C10 and C20 and the Walther CP2 and CP3 as well as the later Walther models.

The TAU 7 Match is a classic that can also perform along with the best of the PCP pistols and is now becoming highly sought after - and so like some of the older types already mentioned here they are very unlikely to loose much (if any) of their value over the next few years !

Single shot CO2 match pistols are also regarded as being a little more "forgiving" to shoot and should never never discounted without giving them a fair test first!
    Thanks for the feedback Bob.....I've had a few of the Co2 as in Tau 7, BRNO 96 and Aeron and they're very good but fancy sticking to air....the Sams and Benellis just don't seem to put in an appearance so I'll try for one of the more common variety....LP2 seeems good value.
    I'll keep looking and listening....thanks again.
    Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by nickm marshall View Post
    Forget the fwb and the LP10, there both quite nice pistols, but you already have a really good pistol.
    Why not just buy a standard length morini 162ei.

That way, you have a back up if one goes wrong, you don't have to relearn anything. Trigger is the same, as well as sight length, Ballance and feel are slightly different, but you could buy a blow off compensator and weight bar. If you fancy bit more of a change.

But you have another pistol.

Couple on Gunstar at the moment, around £800. Inc. mine for £850.

There is a real nice LP10 on this site for £1025 and a fwb P44 on stiron forum for £750.
    Thanks for the feedback and you're probably right as I'm well used to the Short but just fancy something different to try.
    LP10 I'm considering, I've rung the Stiron guy twice today about the P44 but no reply...
    Send me a link to your pistol....can't remember it.

Eric.

MORINI 162ei for sale

Here is the link for morini 162ei with medium right hand grip.

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Pistols...-gs158241.aspx

It will still leave me with a short and a long 162ei morini which I feel is a great combination.
    And the pair costs about the same a one morini 162ei Titan.

Quote Originally Posted by nickm marshall View Post
    Here is the link for morini 162ei with medium right hand grip.

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Pistols...-gs158241.aspx

It will still leave me with a short and a long 162ei morini which I feel is a great combination.
    And the pair costs about the same a one morini 162ei Titan.
    Tempting!!
    Eric.

Well

You better sleep on it then. ;0)

But one things for sure, you won't be disappointed. First day I shot this pistol with a left hand grip and board I shot a 95 with the second target.

From that time on, my search for the perfect pistol was over, It also was a bit more enjoyable to shoot than the dead feeling Steyr LP10's that I owned and shot before.

Hello Eredel,
    Don't be swayed by these meanies who are trying to sell you their pistols!! Go and try them all, enjoy looking, enjoy trying as many pistols as you can find. It might be worth going to somewhere like Surrey Guns where they have a stock of all of the match pistols in one place.
    . There are a lot of pistols that are worth a look. I'd personally avoid anything CO2, as its antiquated technology, I'd also avoid FWB P34s.....they were so bad that everyone stopped buying FWBs and went and bought Steyrs instead!
    . Be aware of what pistols are worth on the second hand market... There's an LP10 on here for over a grand....its a 2007 pistol that cost less than that when new.....likewise with a lot of Morinis that i have seen going for more than when they were new. ISSF rules have come out stating that cylinders over 10 years old CANNOT be used in matches.....another point to consider if buying a used pistol for match use, and Morinis 20 year warranty on cylinders doesn't get around this rule!
    . My personal opinion would be that you have a choice of two pistols.....either a Steye LP10, or a Morini. Morinis have great triggers, and Steyrs have adjustable grips and shot stabilisers. Both are brilliant, and both have good service support in the UK.
    . I've not shot a FWB, but i am sure they are very good, however a chap i know who will be shooting for England next year has just sold his FWB to get a Steyr, i don't know the reason for this.
    . I am very biased i hasten to add, I shoot an LP10 at ten metres, and an LP50 compact for Rapid Fire, Standard Pistol, Sport Pistol etc. I have competed at every big match in England and Wales this year and neither has misses a beat! I also have a great deal of time for the Steyr engineer.... Him and his wife coached me in the GB Junior squad! Despite this i would still urge you to try everything, enjoy trying everything and buy what feels right for you.

Feel free to message me if you'd like any advice, i don't know much but I'm always willing to help.
    Regards
    Fierynick

+Keep Calm and Shoot Tens+

I have had a go with Nickm's Morini, it is immaculate. If I had £850 floating around, it would be in my gun-bag now...
    The LP10e is very 'dead' when shooting compared to the 162, it is as everyone says, personal choice.
    Cheers, Mark.

Cheers Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I have had a go with Nickm's Morini, it is immaculate. If I had £850 floating around, it would be in my gun-bag now...
    The LP10e is very 'dead' when shooting compared to the 162, it is as everyone says, personal choice.
    Cheers, Mark.
    Thanks for the above comments.
    Would have hoped you would have found the money by now. ;0)