Thread: Painting Feinwerkbau pistols

Painting Feinwerkbau pistols

Hi all,

Does anyone have any good advice on what to do to get the finish looking reasonable on a couple of older Feinwerkbau air pistols. One is a model 90, with the electronic triger, and the second is a c55p. Both have some kind of paint (not bluing) that flecks off when you look at it on the action, it is a semi matt black. I have been having trouble sourcing anything similar, and have bought more or less every type of paint available in Denmark where I live, and was wondering if anyone can sugest a type of paint that wont look out of place and is reasonably hard waring so wont fall off after application. It would be nice if it looks the part of the original but these pistols get used so the wear rate might be the most important. That and that I can get it sent to Denmark.

Many thanks for any sugestions.

Tim

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi and WELCOME to the BBS. I will move this thread to the 'General Airgun' section for you, as feel you may get more in-put there? Once again, welcome to the AG BBS.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Natural wear to the finish must be expected (although I've not heard anybody else say that FWB finish chips off easily).

Chances are - any home re-painting you do will be softer, wear off quickly, and won't ever look right.

I recommend leaving it alone, and enjoy shooting the pistols

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Natural wear to the finish must be expected (although I've not heard anybody else say that FWB finish chips off easily).

Chances are - any home re-painting you do will be softer, wear off quickly, and won't ever look right.

I recommend leaving it alone, and enjoy shooting the pistols
    Either this /\ or alternatively there is a chap over on the UBC who can duracoat your pistol: http://www.gt-pistols.co.uk/

Duracoat is a hard wearing paint used on many firearms.
    Good deals with these members

Just get an aerosol can of satin black paint and it will look as good as new.

Baz

Many thanks Gareth, it certainly got some attention .

Rickenbacker I was also a bit peeved that the paint comes off so easliy, especially with the c55p which is supposed to be a high quality match pistol. But it really does just fall off the aluminum breach, nowhere else oddly. They only made this gun for a very shot time so it may be just this model that has a paint problem.
    Yes there is a good chance it wont look much better after a home attempt at painting, but it really looks bad now, and when I let others at the club use it they are not as careful with it as I like, because it looks so ratty. I would really like to paint it. The problem with Denmark is it is just so small, and that means than ordinary items, such as any reasonably tough paint, is just impossible to find.
    Thanks for naming satin Benelli B76 (I forget my English now days), I did a search on and found some suitable "so called tough satin black" paint but they of course wont post aerosols. The only equivilant I can find in is a 2L bucket that I would also have to get some kind of airbrush for to be able to spray, or as mentioned here it would look horrid. I have to get one of the wheels on my bike done so perhaps I can aske the garage if they can do it at the same time. Otherwise perhas as you say eyebull, it might be a bit awkward sending it off but this may be the only option so will have to contact the chap

Tim

Tim the spring FWB pistols seem to have some sort of baked on enamel which wears thin before it flakes off. Maybe the preparation of the aluminium was crucial? I wouldn't expect to replicate it with any off the shelf product, perhaps only with some sort of industrial-level process. I don't know about the later pistol - maybe that was painted. I suppose it's possible that your 90 was such a late example that the finishing process had changed since the models 65 and 80 were made?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Birchwood Casey do an aluminium blacking compound of some sort.I am thinking of getting some for where the piant has worn off my FWB model 80 pistol on the corners of the action near the lever.The only trouble is I have not found a stockist of it yet!

Evening, have recently re-finished the synthetic stock and aluminium shroud of a Benjamin Trail with the Duracoat shake and spray system and its come out really well. It's an epoxy based system so should wear well.

I purchased from a German based website as its difficult to come by over here. Waffen-airbrush.de