Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wad size

Off to Sainsburys it is then and will give it a try Saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by jennings View Post
    Whats the difference with the semolina? I've being using Whitworths as it's available at most supermarkets and I found that by measuring into phials before loading I can get the balls seated at the same depth.
    ROA, 20 grains Swiss 2(measured phials), cast ball from what ever lead I can source, home made felt wad lubed with 60/40 lard Bees wax(same mix for my Martini lube) and I'm getting pretty good results.
    No problems with fouling and comes up clean after a putting into an ultrasonic cleaner.
    i use the whitworths,was using measure phials also, so was taking to the range ,30 selmonolina phials same with bp.
    now just bring tub of semolina an spoon, 20gr bp then fill to the top with selmonolina press ball down,

wife was telling me that asda do a kilo bag corase somolina £1.38 so might give that a try
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 29-09-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Tell us how that works for you? According to Hodgdons own tables, 13.5gr of Triple 7 is equal to 15.5gr of FFFg - that, Sir, is a VERY low load for a .44calibre revolver, and verging on the 'do not do this' low limit.
    I'm am genuinely concerned, so please put me right.

tac
    Thankyou for your concern,not sure where the confusion lies.
    Probably 13.5grns of 777 by weight as I stated is not equal to 15.5grn of FFFG by volume.
    777 has a density of only 73% equivilant to FFFG BP. then there is the -15% due to 777 giving higher pressure.
    100 grns volume of 777 weighs 73grns.
    I have no concerns as I have researched and tested findings of many charts and tables but it is a valid point.

I took the ROA out yesterday and tried the different types of semolina, couldn't find any noticeable difference.No residue was left in the phials and I couldn't see any difference on fowling. One of the club guys with far more experience with BP than myself said that he had heard that the granules in the Sainsbury semolina were of a more uniform size.
    What I did try was some Henry Kranks fine powder and that seemed to create far more smoke than I usually get with Swiss no 2.That was with both of the types of semolina.

found no diff either ,
    so now i use the phials for bp [30], and take a tub of semolina, and a 5ml spoon ,and add it once iam at the range,
    e45 for the .44 remington found is would be better if little more firmer,
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 19-10-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    ballkeeper

ounce or not an ounce?

Quote Originally Posted by lostcat View Post
    Probably 13.5grns of 777 by weight as I stated is not equal to 15.5grn of FFFG by volume.
    777 has a density of only 73% equivilant to FFFG BP. then there is the -15% due to 777 giving higher pressure.
    I have no concerns as I have researched and tested findings of many charts and tables but it is a valid point.
    Well I'm now totally confused. 13.5 grams equals roughly 216grains and certainly not 15.5grains. Grams and grains are units of weight, not volume. 100 grains cannot ever equal 73grains whatever it's made of!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

ounce or not an ounce?

Quote Originally Posted by lostcat View Post
    Well I'm now totally confused. Grams and grains are units of weight, not volume. 100 grains cannot ever equal 73grains whatever it's made of!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi