Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wad size

Iv used wonderlube for years but must admit cleaning was a pain this time. For some reason hot soapy water
    just smeared the crap without removing it. Never had this before so think i may try the E45 myself. I take it
    we just fill the end of the chamber on top of the ball.??? Tim

Boots E45 is the stuff.
    e45 cream £6.99 from boots for there 350g tub
    ballkeeper

Never had this before so think i may try the E45 myself. I take it
    we just fill the end of the chamber on top of the ball.??? Tim
    yup thats it tim
    ballkeeper

Got a tub so will give it a go. Tim

Great thing about E45 is that it's an emulsion and just washes away, taking all the glep with it.

AND it's good for your hands, too.

tac

I use 3mm cork wads,over powder so water based not good.
    Snug fit, lube in a bag with some wonder lube,warmed up so it soaks in.
    can't use semilina indoors.

ostcat
    I use 3mm cork wads,over powder so water based not good.
    Snug fit, lube in a bag with some wonder lube,warmed up so it soaks in.
    can't use semilina indoors.
    how much black power or sub do you use,
    ballkeeper

I now use just cast bullets with no lube in the grooves and then dipped in udderley smooth....no leading and easy cleaning
    Edit......bugger didn't read thread
    My recipe above is for martini Henry rifle

What thickness or weight of felt is best to make your own wads?

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    how much black power or sub do you use,
    I buy sheets of compressed 3mm thick cork,a few ft square at a time,does a few thousand for £5.
    I made the cutter but a bought one should do the same.
    In a drill press set so it doesn't quite go all the way through.cut about 15 then pop them out.
    take mabe 5 mins to do 100.
    around 20 grns equivalant by volume 777 (13.5 ish grns by weight) with one wad in an old uberti NMA.
    That was measured though to give 2mm compression with the lever to the stop so that would be the minimum charge,

Quote Originally Posted by lostcat View Post
    I buy sheets of compressed 3mm thick cork,a few ft square at a time,does a few thousand for £5.
    I made the cutter but a bought one should do the same.
    In a drill press set so it doesn't quite go all the way through.cut about 15 then pop them out.
    take mabe 5 mins to do 100.
    around 20 grns equivalant by volume 777 (13.5 ish grns by weight) with one wad in an old uberti NMA.
    That was measured though to give 2mm compression with the lever to the stop so that would be the minimum charge,
    Tell us how that works for you? According to Hodgdons own tables, 13.5gr of Triple 7 is equal to 15.5gr of FFFg - that, Sir, is a VERY low load for a .44calibre revolver, and verging on the 'do not do this' low limit.
    I'm am genuinely concerned, so please put me right.

tac

I've been shooting 15 grains of Swiss 2 in a Hege Remington since 2005. Apart from the scorers complaining about the ragged hole it works extremely well. They have a habit of going exactly where I point it, all I need to do now is point it where I want them to go...

Having said that, I do use Sainsburys semolina (it does make a difference) so that the ball sits just below the face of the cylinder and the amount of lube invoved is miniscule. In fact, I've been using a syringe with a needle to add water pump grease for years as well. To complicate matters, I'm now trying a heavier load and am trying 23 grains of Swiss 2 and giving E45 a go too. It does do a much neater hole and groups quite well.

I bought a 36 Remington made by Andy Baumkircher when I was in Austria in August and realised that what he's done is adjust the length of the ram to do exactly as I described above. At full stroke, the ball only just clears the cylinder face. If you compare it to a standard ram, the standard one would push the ball halfway down!

Whats the difference with the semolina? I've being using Whitworths as it's available at most supermarkets and I found that by measuring into phials before loading I can get the balls seated at the same depth.
    ROA, 20 grains Swiss 2(measured phials), cast ball from what ever lead I can source, home made felt wad lubed with 60/40 lard Bees wax(same mix for my Martini lube) and I'm getting pretty good results.
    No problems with fouling and comes up clean after a putting into an ultrasonic cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by NickHarvey View Post
    I've been shooting 15 grains of Swiss 2 in a Hege Remington since 2005. Apart from the scorers complaining about the ragged hole it works extremely well. They have a habit of going exactly where I point it, all I need to do now is point it where I want them to go...

Having said that, I do use Sainsburys semolina (it does make a difference) so that the ball sits just below the face of the cylinder and the amount of lube invoved is miniscule. In fact, I've been using a syringe with a needle to add water pump grease for years as well. To complicate matters, I'm now trying a heavier load and am trying 23 grains of Swiss 2 and giving E45 a go too. It does do a much neater hole and groups quite well.

I bought a 36 Remington made by Andy Baumkircher when I was in Austria in August and realised that what he's done is adjust the length of the ram to do exactly as I described above. At full stroke, the ball only just clears the cylinder face. If you compare it to a standard ram, the standard one would push the ball halfway down!
    Thank you for that information.

Where I shoot we don't have scorers, only shooters. Guess we're doing something wrong there, eh? If my shooting got complaints from anybody else with regard to the neatness or lack of it of the bullet hole, they'd be advised to take up a less-taxing form of relaxation.

tac

My reply to anyone who complains about the neatness of the holes or the size of the group is that it's not the job of the shooter to make life easy for the scorer!

As to the question about the semolina, I've tried a number of different types and found that the Sainsburys has the right amount of granualrity so it flows and allows a degree of compression under the ball. Some of the others are a little too fine and floury so they don't flow out of the phials very well.