Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROA loads

ROA loads

Using 18gn Swiss No 2 in my ROA, just wondered what loads other people are using?

There have literally dozens of comments recently on loads for the ROA with various makes and grades of BP as well as the two or three easily-obtainable subsitutes on this very forum.

I must have put at least fifty comments on ROA loads on this site in the last few months, and so has Grantham Tim.

Your load is very light, BTW, but if it works for you, that's good.

tac

Currently using 20 grns of TS2 with a semolina filler in both my ROA,s and in my Rogers. Seems to work well for
    me and it makes sense to have one load for my b/p revolvers. Am going to try E45 as a lube next time aswell as
    had problems cleaning wonderlube off last weekend. Tim

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    For 25m target shooting:

Using 19.5 grn TS2 +semolina in both my ROA and Uberti Remington.

I tried 18 gns Swiss #2 with poor results, and my colleagues (some of whom are international shooters) opined that it was too much.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I couldn't be bothered to get the explosives cert and storage box so I'm using 17gr of Pyrodex with semolina filler.

I've recently reduced my load to 18g Swiss No 2 after reading posts on this forum and I'm finally starting to get the sort of accuracy that others have quoted but previously I'd found unobtainable with heavier loads.

Just my experience though obviously.

Steve.

Very interesting...

The ROA has been around for a while so you'd think the optimum load would be well established but in a quick poll here we have one view that 18 gn is very light, another that its too heavy and a third that its about right !

Quote Originally Posted by fcat View Post
    Very interesting...

The ROA has been around for a while so you'd think the optimum load would be well established but in a quick poll here we have one view that 18 gn is very light, another that its too heavy and a third that its about right !
    It all depends on what you want it for - paper-punching or hog-punching. The great thing about the ROA is that it does both very well. Those who like to shoot a 'patinka' for hole-on-hole accuracy can find that at the lower level of loading, whereas those who use it for long-range fun, busting rocks, cans, or short-range on hogs, necessarily need to stoke it up a bit. Shot placement on a 400 pound hog is certainly a serious matter, but does not require a string of five shots to be effective - they only need killing the one time.

I'm a bit too crude for most people here, I'd guess, and like to feel something 'ka-booming' when I squeeze that trigger. If I want a 'patinka' then I shoot an air pistol.

tac

oops - sorry but its actually a 16 grain load that I'm now using. (Yes it still does make a loud bang, smoke and muzzle flip).

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    oops - sorry but its actually a 16 grain load that I'm now using. (Yes it still does make a loud bang, smoke and muzzle flip).

Steve.
    I'm still amazed that it actually clears the barrel with a load like that. Still, if it works for you...

tac, lover of boom.

basic loads

I don't have a ROA but I use loads in my BP pistols so they use the same amount of semolina!
    So 24g ts2 in the remmington 1858 .44 (18g packer)
    and 21g ts2 in the Colt 1851 .44 (18g packer)
    I just find it less confusing at the range and measn I don't over fill so the ball peeps out the top...

At the indoor range. swiss number 1. 18 grains.

It works, shots are consistent.

And that i think is one of the elements of good shooting. Consistency. Once you've found a load that
    works for you and your particular gun your half way there. Tim.

I have always used the volumetric Equivalent of 30 grains of pyrodex in mine, big boom and three inch groups at twenty five yards, great fun with plenty of recoil

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    I have always used the volumetric Equivalent of 30 grains of pyrodex in mine, big boom and three inch groups at twenty five yards, great fun with plenty of recoil
    Now that's MY kind of fun!

Merry Christmas and a great 2014!

Shoot safe!

tac, mrs tac, ken the GFT and the Crows