Thread: whiscombe

whiscombe

what was the best whiscombe ever made? whats the difference between them all? and what was the price difference
    A Wise Man Can Act A Fool, A Fool Can Not Act Wise

I live just off the M27 outside Southampton.

Whiscombe

Early Whiscombes were made with a break barrel and later with fixed barrels, hence the letters FB after the number.The numbers, 50 ,60, 65 etc refer I think to the distance between the opposing pistons when the rifle is cocked. The rifle has a two stroke cocking action to set the two pistons but the largest of those that I have seen is the 80 ( FAC ) which required three strokes.As to which is best, I have seen some beautiful rifles with exhibition grade stocks, but in the end it is all subjective. The best one is the one you own. I have met John Whiscombe and he is a very interesting and helpful man.
    Regards Pete

whiscombe

hi got one of each bb and fb great guns well made atb

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    Went to John's to try and buy a new toy,. Spent the whole day chatting eating and shooting and comparing his rifles to my HW77 FT rig.Although I've known John for years it ended up no sale as they were equal to each other out to 55yds and I could not justify the cost on days results alone.
    Should have bought one as a collectors item even though they were the break barrel type;but didn't realise John would not make too many more guns.
    Nice chap and shot against him through the 80's.
    HERX77 .
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

I was lucky enough to place an order for one with John in the last batch he made. I was so impressed with it after I got it home and put it through its paces that a few days later I called him and tried to talk him into making me another one.He was adamant though that he would make no more, so I just have the one.