Thread: Nikon Prostaff 3-9 X 40 Target EFR

Nikon Prostaff 3-9 X 40 Target EFR

Hello,
    I have had a Nikon Prospoort 3-9 X 40mm Target EFR for a while and thought I would share my thoughts with you.
    First of all, I am an optics "nut". I am an amateur astronomer. My Mom gave me my first telescope for my 15th birthday, September 1965, 48 years ago. I have always had a telescope and have several now. I went to Medical School and found myself fascinated with Pathology. I am now a Dermatopathologist and find myself at the eyepiece of a microscope for most of my work day.
    I have always felt that with optics you get what you pay for. I have always disliked the phrase "great given the cost". That says to me it is not great if you discard cost. So, I have Leupold scopes on almost all my air rifles. Recently, I found a new (used) air rifle, a .20 Beeman R9, professionally tuned. I could not decide which scope to get so bought an inexpensive one to use whil I made up my mind. Enter the Nikon Prosport 3-9X Target EFR. Note that there are other Nikon Prosport 3-9 X 40 scopes but the one air riflers would want is the Target EFR with Parallax from 10 yards to infinity.
    When I opened the package I was impressed by the look of the scope. Nice feel, compact, lightweight. The parallax ring on the front of the scope moved easily and smoothly. Much easier to turn than my Leupold 3-9 X 33 EFR but not so easy that it might turn on its own, or at least mine has not. I like optics that show no spurious colors, have a flat field and focus to a sharp crisp image, all natural colors. No observable distortions in the field of view.
    I placed the scope on my new Beeman R9, set up on my little indoor range (15 yards) and focused on the target. Oh my! And, I do mean Oh My!! I was astonished at how beautiful the image was. Flat field, sharp, crisp image, natural colors. Dang! I shot a few rounds of pellets (JSB) and found that the gun shoots very well. It is capable of more accuracy than I am capable of shooting! :^)
    So, I went back again and again and each time the optics of the Nikon Prosport amazed me. I have done no long range field trials outside yet but I am so convinced of the quality of these optics that I had to share my thoughts.
    Yes, I did compare the Nikon Prostaff with my Leupolds.

Final thoughts:
    The Nikon Prostaff 3-9 X 40 Target EFR is a fantastic air rifle scope with exquisite optics. No modifiers needed on that statement. I have no idea why they cost so little but I will buy another. You might want to check one out at your local dealer if you are in the market for a new scope.

Here are the specs:

Specifications for Nikon Target EFR 3-9x Hunting Scope:
    Magnification: 3x to 9x
    Effective Objective Lens Diameter: 40mm
    Reticle: Precision
    Finish: Matte Black
    Exit Pupil: 3x - 13.3mm; 9x - 4.4mm
    Eye Relief: 3.6"
    Field of View: 3x - 16.9' at 50 yards; 9x - 5.7' at 50 yards
    Tube Diameter: 1"
    Length: 12.5"
    Weight: 15.7 oz
    Adjustment Click Value: 1/4 MOA at 50 yards
    Maximum Internal Adjustment: 80 MOA
    Parallax: 10 yds to Infinity
    Features of Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 Target EFR Matte Black Riflescope:

Quick-focusing rifle scope with variable zoom by Nikon
    3x to 9x variable zoom magnification
    Quick focus eyepiece allows the shooter to bring the reticle into sharp focus instantly
    Fully multi-coated optics for superior light transmission
    Zero-reset turrets for quick adjustment and calibration
    Waterproof, shockproof, and fogproof
    Engineered for .22 LR and air gun ammunition
    Can be used accurately with any ammunition, using the Spot On Ballistic Match Technology
    Precision reticle
    Matte Black finish

best,

JimP

Nice review - I use the BDC 3-9x40 Prostaff on several guns - I even sold a couple of high end scopes to fund more Prostaff scopes I was so impressed with them.

I prefer multiple aim points without the horribly busy ret you see on many scopes these days

The only scope within a similar price point that I've found that trumps the Prostaff is the Vortex Diamondback, but there's not much in it IMHO

I've had Prostaff scopes on the hills at dusk alongside some of the very big name scopes and there was about 7 minutes extra shooting time from one particular scope that cost almost 20 times the price !

Serious performance - if they made a mil-dot version I think they would wipe the floor across the board.

Nikon PROSTAFF 3-9 EFR

Very nice review! Your time is greatly appreciated! Doing such a through write up is very time consuming but I am sure it will have great benefits for many others. I have used that scope on my .177 Gamo with excellent results. I just moved it back to my .22 LR for my son to use. The EFR has excellent light transmission and the clarity should great enhance anyone's air rifle experience.

Bart
    Nikon Pro Staff
    USA

Great review , well done ,very help full

Cool Nikon EFR

Good review.

I also have one of these and shoot at County level using one.
    The best points for me are clarity, weight and target reticle (fine dot that does not clutter the sight picture)

NIKON have always produced good lenses and this does not fail.

Adam
    Be happy for what you got not for what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by tidyonafriday View Post
    Good review.

I also have one of these and shoot at County level using one.
    The best points for me are clarity, weight and target reticle (fine dot that does not clutter the sight picture)

NIKON have always produced good lenses and this does not fail.

Adam
    I have become a Nikon fan recently, using them for HFT and LSR. Based on the above comments I have ordered a Prostaff EFR.

Eventually caught up with you Adam

Tony

I've just taken delivery of a ProStaff 3-9x40, and I have to say that I'm very impressed with it.

Cam.
    rangetime.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by CameronWilson View Post
    I've just taken delivery of a ProStaff 3-9x40, and I have to say that I'm very impressed with it.

Cam.
    Used mine today for the first time and its a great bit of glass. I have put it on top of my Daystate Mk4, very clear optics and nice simple reticle

Tony