Thread: Bsa magnum 240

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    That could have been political. It may be that Gamo stopped them BSA producing it so as to make less competition for their own pistols. Car manufacturers that buy out other manufacturers often cancel production of cars that compete with models they are already making.

The fact that it was only made for a few years is meaningless. ABAS only made the ABAS Major for a couple of years, they turned out less than 2,000 of them but they are superb little pistols and very sought after.
    Sorry Rob still disagreeing here. I do not wish to sound like a 45 supporter, or someone that is anti British products....far from it if they are any good but I can only accurately report my own findings.
    First price. I ran back through my old collection of airgun mags. The last 240 I could find being sold through Uttings guns was £109 with the 45 being offered at £144 on the same page. For me at least, this is a direct enough comparison given the shipping cost and exchange rates for German products. At best guess, some £20 quid between them. Similar materials, similar overlever operation etc. Its close enough!

I have just taken down a 1998 45 which is no longer a smoker but has had no special tuning additions and run the numbers.
    Using Hobby, I'm getting 545 fps low and 560 fps high. A 15 fps spread not counting one poor pellet fit at 538 fps (8 shots in all)
    I know the 2004 ish model at my club has chronied 565fps, while my original .22 version chronied 422 fps. The recent specimen in Airgunner ran similar.
    The very first test in Airgun world ran 424fps for the .22 version. Another version 8 years later in Shooting Sports ran 557fps.
    Bowkett mentioned 570 fps for the one he tested.
    Its a 5.3ftlb to 5.6ftlb gun for me if NOT the 600fps mentioned in Beeman publications.
    The rest of your argument I might accept but a subjective matter of course. Looks and holding in the hand...go on ill agree with you.

For anyone interested I internally modified my Magnum for a little more power and smoothness. Got highs of 522 fps and 4.7ftlbs freeing up the action but never did get past the sudden loss of 50fps which occurred annoyingly after a decent run of good shots. I put it down to a slightly undersize size pellet exasperated by the very short barrel or a leak at the breech seal.
    Last edited by clarky; 09-10-2013 at 06:53 PM.