Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bsa magnum 240

Bsa magnum 240

Hi, been offered one of these pistols in .22 in very good condition, but a couple of questions I have before parting with the folding stuff.
    1: Whats the difference between a MK1 and MK 11
    2: Are they a decent pistol. I did dig out a test on one and the power figures they gave it appeared quite low as in 3.5 ft/lbs
    I do like how the pistol feels/handles and the build quality looks good too.
    Thanks Wayne

The only difference I am aware of is that the mk.2 has a different method of securing the small 'o' ring breech seal. This came about because there were some cases of the o ring on the mk.1's becoming dislodged and falling out. This is not a deal breaker as the o ring in the mk 1 can be secured with a blob of superglue. Mine has been like this for years.
    Power wise, if spring and seals are in good condition a .177 one will give 4 ft.lbs or a little more , a .22 one 4.5 ft lbs easily.
    They are a super, well made pistol, and in the opinion of many ( including me) are better than an HW45.
    You won't be dissapointed.
    Pete.

RE: BSA Magnum

Thanks Pete, just what I wanted to know. Regards Wayne

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Shoot it first - it will either shoot nicely, or it won't.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Shoot it first - it will either shoot nicely, or it won't.
    Don't believe what they tell you in regards being better than a HW45.....it aint. Not by any stretch.
    There are several key areas as to why this is the case but its not looks. Always thought the 45 a tad top heavy looking and blocky, where many will prefer the look of the BSA and then try to enthuse more about the performance of it.
    Truth is the trigger of the BSA is nowhere near as good, neither are the sights, which follow the usual plastic stock of the 70s/90s air rifles.
    Hit and miss with breech seals dropping out but also problems with angled breech sealing not present in the 45 design.
    Also controlled tests revealed the barrel was too short to achieve optimum accuracy. The Plenum chamber void at the muzzle seemed like a good idea in an attempt to silence the gun a bit but didn't work. It would have been infinitely preferable to have simply run the barrel the full length and thus achieved the minimum requirement of at least 6 inch barrel for the springer design...ideally 7.5 inches for a 6ftlb pistol.
    The inner plastic guide rod is also known to bend and even snap.

Also not easy to shoot well!

Gentlemen of the hw45 appreciation society, you have been brainwashed by the ' Vorsprung durch technic' brigade.

The bsa 240 magnum is...... more compact than the 45, lighter than the 45, MUCH easier to load a pellet than the 45, equaly as well made as the 45, as accurate as the 45, not quiet as powerful as the 45 ( but does that matter), the trigger once fettled is BETTER than the 45, and here is the killer punch.... it's BRITISH....!!!!
    These are my findings based on several years ownership of both.
    Oh, and the tales of breech seals falling out are ,like the tales of the death of Mark Twain, " greatly exaggerated".
    This is of course only one persons opinion.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    Gentlemen of the hw45 appreciation society, you have been brainwashed by the ' Vorsprung durch technic' brigade.

The bsa 240 magnum is...... more compact than the 45, lighter than the 45, MUCH easier to load a pellet than the 45, equaly as well made as the 45, as accurate as the 45, not quiet as powerful as the 45 ( but does that matter), the trigger once fettled is BETTER than the 45, and here is the killer punch.... it's BRITISH....!!!!
    These are my findings based on several years ownership of both.
    Oh, and the tales of breech seals falling out are ,like the tales of the death of Mark Twain, " greatly exaggerated".
    This is of course only one persons opinion.

Pete.
    I to have owned the hw45, and mk1 & mk2 240's, for me to the 240 is the better of the two. I don't think the 45 is a bad pistol just not quite as good as the Magnum 240, ...mike....

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    I to have owned the hw45, and mk1 & mk2 240's, for me to the 240 is the better of the two. I don't think the 45 is a bad pistol just not quite as good as the Magnum 240, ...mike....
    Guys guys....
    If your talking complete rebuild of the overly tight moulded plastic guide rod. Versus the solid steel of the HW45....the BSA loses until modified.
    The square cross corner section was meant to be a tight fit to grip the spring at rest and thus remove vibration. Trouble is moulding flash etc and in some cases not perfectly straight, meant this part will never function as well as the precision guide in the 45.
    Chucking it out and re-machining in solid Delrin (I did 20 just after it were released) improved it no end.
    The trigger needs work. I agree it can be improved but still struggling to match the 45 on its lowest possible setting.....but I was comparing stock to be fair.
    The breech face being open and angled does allow easier access but causes the flanged breech seal to seal harder on one side than the other (obviously being angled) causing it to try to bend. This unequal pressure on either side causes it to fail more often than the 45 which never fails. The O ring face to face sealing is infinitely preferable as a simple fact of good design....period.
    Sight base length and barrel length will see a 45 easily edge it when benched (proven) also many have complained about the grip until tweaked.
    I actually preferred a tuned Tempest I had for fit and function.

I had a 177 from new and it was honestly the least accurate pellet pistol I have ever owned (and I've owned quite a few) Around 3.3 ft/lbs BTW

Re; bsa magnum

Some good info guys thanks. I do agree with Clarky though reference the barrel length.
    One other query, regarding the scope ramp. Can I fit any pistol scope to it, obviously with the correct size mounts ?
    Thanks again Wayne

A scope will go on, I'm not sure if the rails are standard 11mm or BSA width though.

Just to add my twopenneth worth (Troll alert) I've owned 5 HW45s and 3 BSA Magnums:
    The Magnum is better looking and feels better in the hand, the grip is very nicely shaped, however on every other measure the HW45 is superior - more powerful, more robust (the Magnums suffer with worn cocking links) and most importantly far, far more accurate.
    When I owned both at the same time I'd shoot my Magnum for a bit of fun, just for the sake of it, but when a pistol HFT comp came round out came the HW45.
    In the real world the Magnum hasn't a cat in hell's chance of keeping up with the HW45 when you're out at 20yds or more.

i have had 5 hw45s in both calibers and 3 magnum 240s in both calibers ,i preferred the hw45s more accurate and powerful and better built .look better with different grips.
    although the magnum looked better ,was better to hold, and was more compact, my 177 was grouping 6 inches at 10 yards,terrible accuracy.
    so hw45 all the way, but i prefer my 20 cal sheridan eb20.

Chucking my tuppence-worth, the HW45 may be technically better in some ways than the 240 Magnum, however I prefer the 240 Magnum. The breech seal design on the HW45 is not particularly better, in that design the vertical seal is dragged across the breech with every operation, whereas on the 240 Magnum it is pressed down on to the oblique face of the breech resulting in less wear. The 240 Magnum has more character and I think looks better than the HW45. Comparing the HW45 and BSA 240 Magnum is like comparing an E-type jaguar to a BMW M3, the M3 might be more powerful and technically better but people will still love the E-type in preference.

They can be accurate with practice, they are more hold-sensitive than some pistols but more challenging and satisfying to shoot because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Chucking my tuppence-worth, the HW45 may be technically better in some ways than the 240 Magnum, however I prefer the 240 Magnum. The breech seal design on the HW45 is not particularly better, in that design the vertical seal is dragged across the breech with every operation, whereas on the 240 Magnum it is pressed down on to the oblique face of the breech resulting in less wear. The 240 Magnum has more character and I think looks better than the HW45. Comparing the HW45 and BSA 240 Magnum is like comparing an E-type jaguar to a BMW M3, the M3 might be more powerful and technically better but people will still love the E-type in preference.

They can be accurate with practice, they are more hold-sensitive than some pistols but more challenging and satisfying to shoot because of it.
    Couldn't agree more.