Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bsa magnum 240

My 240 had lots of character.
    But little accuracy!

Well........I bought another one today

Won't get it for a couple of weeks but then I'll know if mines a duffer or if indeed it's yours truly who is the duffer
    AA s410 KT .177 HW100T .177 BSA R10 .177 Theoben MFR.20 . Webley Alecto.
    Geordie.....

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    But little accuracy!
    I found you had to push the pellet quick far in or the mechanism deformed he skirt. After that it was very accurate. Pain in the aris loading though.

Thumbs down

I feel for the poor chap that started this thread he awoke all the "Ex - Spurts" who are always right, and all others are rubbished.

I think posters have put genuine comments about their experience and ownership of various pistols.
    There may be 240s that are easy to shoot accurately but mine wasn't.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I think posters have put genuine comments about their experience and ownership of various pistols.
    There may be 240s that are easy to shoot accurately but mine wasn't.
    I own 32 airpistols, many of them springers, and can shoot respectable groups with all of them.

Apart from the 240.

Make of that what you will.
    Good deals with these members

My 240 is every bit as accurate as my HW 45 and is much easier to load and I can slip it in my jacket pocket, and it's British and I love it.
    But, I respect those of you who prefer the 45.
    Pete.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    My 240 is every bit as accurate as my HW 45 and is much easier to load and I can slip it in my jacket pocket, and it's British and I love it.
    Pete.
    Like much of BSA's output, when it's good it's very good, but when it's bad it's shite.

I really want to love the 240, I really do! But my example, very much like my ill-fated XL Lightning*, failed to live up to the promise of others rave reviews. A missed opportunity IMO, like many of BSA's products.

*this now shoots very nicely btw. After blood, sweat and tears, a dozen stripdowns, a v-mach kit, fettling, polishing, tweaking, filling the butt with expanding foam, and swapping the barrel with a .22 supersport, it now shoots pretty well
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Like much of BSA's output, when it's good it's very good, but when it's bad it's shite.

I really want to love the 240, I really do! But my example, very much like my ill-fated XL Lightning*, failed to live up to the promise of others rave reviews. A missed opportunity IMO, like many of BSA's products.

*this now shoots very nicely btw. After blood, sweat and tears, a dozen stripdowns, a v-mach kit, fettling, polishing, tweaking, filling the butt with expanding foam, and swapping the barrel with a .22 supersport, it now shoots pretty well
    That's exactly how I was left feeling after mine and a friends later version passed through our hands......a missed opportunity.
    It looked pretty good but as TRRobb proved, too short in barrel length. Hit and miss issues with guide rod fit and breech seals and its consigned to the bottom of the gun cabinet....until the next shooter raves about the look and gets all enthusiastic.
    It just don't group consistently for long periods. You have to chase its tail and continually deal with the little niggles to get competing even close to a 45 but never matching it.

But little accuracy!
    My 240 will hit a coke can base at 20 yards pretty much shot after shot. Like most pistols whilst plinking i have to limit my shots as its hard to stop

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattatack View Post
    My 240 will hit a coke can base at 20 yards pretty much shot after shot. Like most pistols whilst plinking i have to limit my shots as its hard to stop
    We must have both had good 'uns because any improvement in accuracy my HW45 could offer over my 240 at the time was marginal.
    I did try a friends as well before I sold it for him and his was much the same as well I seem to recall (although his grip seemed a lot less comfortable than mine)

Pete.
    Why would you want to put it in your pocket Pete?
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

Quote Originally Posted by wonky donky View Post
    Why would you want to put it in your pocket Pete?
    Ahem, I will tell you 'off air', you agent provacateur you.

Pete.

Ahem, I will tell you 'off air', you agent provacateur you.

Pete.
    Yeah, you cant hit any anything with it while out poaching and you will lose ye breech washer brother.

Magnum versus HW 45

Owned 2 45's the .22 was a dream gun the .177 was impossible to group with,

Did all the stuff you do full strip etc and it was still a nightmare,

I've had a .177 BSA Magnum as well for many years, super fit to the hand, best pistol trigger I've ever owned
    accurate as hell! once you realise it needs a heavy pellet (crosman ultra magnum) sights are all metal (plastic???)

The 45's are gone the BSA remains,

Nuff Said Innit.