Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bsa magnum 240

Again Clarky, the power of the HW45 is immaterial to this thread. As I say, I've had three and all of them were doing less than 4.5 ft/lbs. Maybe I've just been unlucky?

We'll have to disagree about the prices too, I know for a fact that the 240 Magnum was on sale in some gun shops for £95... My local gun shop back in those days had one on the shelf, I clearly remember the price as I went there one Saturday morning with £95 in my pocket to buy it, only to find that it had been sold in the previous few days. No matter, I got one eventually, liked it so much I bought another! This gun shop was not one of the cheapest by a long chalk, I bet Ramsbottom's would probably have knocked ten or fifteen quid off that price.

We're just restating our positions now... The fact is that preference in guns (like everything else in life) is different for different people, I like my 240 Magnums a lot, even though they have one or two faults. Technically great though it is, the HW45, like other Weihrauch products, it just leaves me cold somehow, but then I don't like BMWs, Mercedes or Audis either, excellent cars though they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    Again Clarky, the power of the HW45 is immaterial to this thread. As I say, I've had three and all of them were doing less than 4.5 ft/lbs. Maybe I've just been unlucky?

We'll have to disagree about the prices too, I know for a fact that the 240 Magnum was on sale in some gun shops for £95... My local gun shop back in those days had one on the shelf, I clearly remember the price as I went there one Saturday morning with £95 in my pocket to buy it, only to find that it had been sold in the previous few days. No matter, I got one eventually, liked it so much I bought another! This gun shop was not one of the cheapest by a long chalk, I bet Ramsbottom's would probably have knocked ten or fifteen quid off that price.

We're just restating our positions now... The fact is that preference in guns (like everything else in life) is different for different people, I like my 240 Magnums a lot, even though they have one or two faults. Technically great though it is, the HW45, like other Weihrauch products, it just leaves me cold somehow, but then I don't like BMWs, Mercedes or Audis either, excellent cars though they are.
    Well i agree we are just restating our view but there is no way the 240 is a better gun. The opinion of 1000s I shouldn't wonder.
    You may like it for different reasons but it is not better by design or performance. Even the law of physics would dictate against it (smaller capacity and shorter barrel...slightly more weight to trigger) but I will accept some of your points as a partial climb down.
    As regard the Audi...sorry I own one. Britain has never built a better regular production hatch....ill rest my case there if your the type that's going to argue against that. Sublime quality, finish and performance enjoyed by 1000s
    As regard cost..as a teacher....20 to 30 quid has never been an issue for me I suppose it could be for lesser paid. I accept your point....you gets what you pays for I guess.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    It doesn't sound much the way you're trying to present it, but it wasn't just £35 quid at the time though, the overall purchase price was 30% more.
    So if todays average price of a new HW45 is £250 then the Magnum today would be £60 cheaper for example.
    Please tell us you're not a maths teacher.

You're a teacher? I hope you don't teach English! Your punctuation leaves a lot to be desired.

"As regard the Audi...sorry I own one. Britain has never built a better regular production hatch....ill rest my case there if your the type that's going to argue against that."

What does the fact that Britain has never built a better "regular production hatch" have to do with all this? Nothing, that's what. I'm not going to argue that, so don't make assumptions or put words into my mouth. All I said was that Audis, BMWs and Mercedes are technically very good cars, but they leave me cold, that is to say I find them a bit bland and lacking something, character, style or graceful design? Hard to say, but I find this with many German products including airguns. Take the ME109... A technically superb aeroplane, but does it have the grace or charisma of the Spitfire? No. I often write with a Rotring pen, it's a technically good, reliable pen, but it has none of the style of a classic Parker. For what it's worth I actually drive a VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) car myself. It's a good, reliable, very practical car but it will never tug someone's heartstrings like a Jaguar or Aston Martin might. So what?

My post was not a "partial climb down" at all. I was hoping that we could agree to disagree amicably on this, since all I ever said was basically "While I accept it has its faults, and I accept that the HW45 is better in some ways, I prefer the 240 Magnum" and I maintain that. Some aspects of the 240 Magnum's design are better, you said yourself it looks better, and aesthetics are an important aspect of design. So, in some ways the 240 is the better gun... In other ways, maybe more ways, the HW45 is the better gun. Different people will choose different guns based on their differing criteria and preferences. You're happy that you made the best choice, choosing the HW45... Fine. I'm happy choosing the 240 Magnum, also fine, for me. I accept that it has some faults, so does the HW45, but I'm still happy with my choice as you can be happy with yours.

Your point about price is also specious... I am not agreeing with you that twenty or thirty quid was the price difference between the two pistols when they were both on sale new, but the fact that twenty or thirty quid may not be a lot to you is utterly immaterial. The fact is, as you concede, "you get what you pay for".

Sheesh... You're looking for an argument where there isn't one mate... Still, maybe you're "the type that's going to argue against that" and will keep on trying to get a win out of this... There's really no need. Why can't you agree to disagree amicably as I am prepared to do?
    Last edited by Rob M; 11-10-2013 at 07:24 AM.

I just said my post was a partial climb down you dopey sausage...NOT you......you raised the cars analogy.
    Don't criticise my typo stuff on a forum such as this and wont do the same with yours.....I am an Engineering teacher though, so English not really a strong suite
    If the German cars you mention leave you cold...I see no point continuing. Mercs, Audis etc cold?.....

The 45 leaves you cold fair enough. lol
    Me trying to get a win......flip that on its head.....that works both ways surely..

Hi Clarky

You're right, I took that the wrong way. I am a dope! Sorry. I tried to put an embarrassed smiley in here but it's not working for some reason, oh well.

Re: your "flip that on its head, it works both ways" comment, I'm not trying to get a win mate, just thought it would be good if we could compromise. I'm happy for you and many others to prefer the HW45 and I hope you can be happy for me and the others to prefer the 240 Magnum, imperfect as it is. It's "horses for courses". When it comes to airguns, it doesn't matter to me what other people think particularly. Two of my other airguns, the Cometa Indian and the Parker Hale Dragon Sporter have been roundly slagged off on here for their looks, but I don't mind, I think they look fine and like them and that's enough for me. Some people slag off Webley Overlevers too but I love them (apart from the Turkish ones). We can both be happy with our own choices. I'd rather accept that we're all different, have different tastes in airguns, but we can still be friends in airgunning. I'm sorry if I came across as confrontational at all.

German products in general leave me cold, it's true. That's my personal preference, there's no need to say there's "no point in continuing" because of that. Why should the fact that I generally find German products a bit plain and uninspiring mean that my opinions count for nothing? We all have different opinions about things. As an engineer you probably appreciate the engineering in German products, which I agree is usually excellent, however, I'm not being racist about it, I think it's a cultural thing, for me German design seems to lack a certain grace or flair.

All the best

Rob

I respect your reply Rob.
    Your are correct that a number of German products, despite sublime build quality, do sit between the pug ugly functionality of eastern block stuff and the Italian elegance..im thinking FAS 604 or Lambo there bytheway. I simply feel that the ugly 45 gets smacked down too much because its looks do not really do it for most and attempt to defend it a little.
    It truly was designed with just about everything in mind and built like a tank but it needs that contoured grip of the 75 to balance out the look of all the meat above the grip. Sometimes you can look at the 75 and it seems quite beautiful in comparison, especially in the dark tiger stripe walnut.
    Its surprising how important looks are to the airgunner, where something like the beauty of the LP53 is always my choice over the 45 when reaching for something to plink with but I would be wrong if I said the 45 cannot out perform it.
    Its also possible that your specimens of the 45 were from around the time of a dip in the HW quality. I was not aware that these issues had spilled over into the pistol production but possible. All I can say is that its been some gun across a very long time frame. If only the 240 had lasted even a quarter of the time im sure it would have gone on to be a greater pistol.
    As regard the Tempest, if only they had made that forend shroud out of cast alum and anodized it, im certain we would all have paid the extra 10 quid or so, while a simple 2 stage trigger for it one of the missed opportunities of all time..

Harvey...perhaps its just me with the price thing. As Terry Doe will tell you, I just laid out almost 800 quid on a new Daystate. Ive always had a bit of disposable income around....30 quid, even 80 quid....don't mean much to me but I can see it might well for many I guess.
    Last edited by clarky; 11-10-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    You're a teacher? I hope you don't teach English! Your punctuation leaves a lot to be desired.

"As regard the Audi...sorry I own one. Britain has never built a better regular production hatch....ill rest my case there if your the type that's going to argue against that."

What does the fact that Britain has never built a better "regular production hatch" have to do with all this? Nothing, that's what. I'm not going to argue that, so don't make assumptions or put words into my mouth. All I said was that Audis, BMWs and Mercedes are technically very good cars, but they leave me cold, that is to say I find them a bit bland and lacking something, character, style or graceful design? Hard to say, but I find this with many German products including airguns. Take the ME109... A technically superb aeroplane, but does it have the grace or charisma of the Spitfire? No. I often write with a Rotring pen, it's a technically good, reliable pen, but it has none of the style of a classic Parker. For what it's worth I actually drive a VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) car myself. It's a good, reliable, very practical car but it will never tug someone's heartstrings like a Jaguar or Aston Martin might. So what?

My post was not a "partial climb down" at all. I was hoping that we could agree to disagree amicably on this, since all I ever said was basically "While I accept it has its faults, and I accept that the HW45 is better in some ways, I prefer the 240 Magnum" and I maintain that. Some aspects of the 240 Magnum's design are better, you said yourself it looks better, and aesthetics are an important aspect of design. So, in some ways the 240 is the better gun... In other ways, maybe more ways, the HW45 is the better gun. Different people will choose different guns based on their differing criteria and preferences. You're happy that you made the best choice, choosing the HW45... Fine. I'm happy choosing the 240 Magnum, also fine, for me. I accept that it has some faults, so does the HW45, but I'm still happy with my choice as you can be happy with yours.

Your point about price is also specious... I am not agreeing with you that twenty or thirty quid was the price difference between the two pistols when they were both on sale new, but the fact that twenty or thirty quid may not be a lot to you is utterly immaterial. The fact is, as you concede, "you get what you pay for".

Sheesh... You're looking for an argument where there isn't one mate... Still, maybe you're "the type that's going to argue against that" and will keep on trying to get a win out of this... There's really no need. Why can't you agree to disagree amicably as I am prepared to do?
    Excellent post!