Thread: plumbers mait

plumbers mait

Having looked at lots of options and tried many out I have finally had a go at putting plumbers mait in my target pellet catcher. What I'm after is a silent pellet catcher as I shoot in the house at 6m with a pistol - I'm shooting lots at the moment to try and get somewhere near where I was 30 years ago - almost hopeless it seems, or do I think I was better than I really was.
    It seems to work well but I do hope it does not slowly gloop and fall out but what a mess it was getting it from the tubs and into the catcher.

Thirdwheel

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Interesting idea,though I guess you'll have to replace it regularly,once it's full of lead
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

I bought some, but never used it.

Use some of your collected waste pellets and melt them in a baking tray.

You'll find this is quite quiet.

Kind regards,

Phil
    Last edited by p.m.h; 28-09-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

I just use a thin bit of carpet in the back of the catcher, it deadens the noise a fair bit.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

I've used carpet as you said but it becomes blasted within a week. I have taken to gluing 4 bits together and leaving the carpet block loose in the catcher and yes it works fine but I like to experiment and saw on US sites they were using a goopy sealer and thought I would give it a go. I thought of using blue tack but thought I might get into trouble if I were to buy up all of the blue tac in the SE of England! Just waiting to see if it had gooped on to the floor this morning. Took a while to get off my hands as it sticks like s**t to a blanket. It's very quiet though.

Best cheers
    Thirdwheel

The way I've done it is to have 1/8 thick rubber sheet stuck to the back of the catcher (just glue the edges so you can replace easy) and as I have a particularly deep catcher I am able to hang a square of carpet in front of the rubber. The carpet slows the pellet the rubber deadens the sound and absorbs energy so the result is that pellet doesn't have enough left to bounce back out through the rubber. I replace the carpet with another square when needed. Works with sub 12 ft lbs.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

plumbers mait

I have used plumbers mait in my home made pellet catcher box for two years, seems to be the best quiet stopper you can buy in uk.
    It will not slump and is not affected by pellet strikes, so it doesn't need replacing. However, you might want to pull out as many of the old pellets you can manage from the plumbers mait. I use a strong small pair of tweezers for this and the reason for this somewhat time waster is simple. I have put over 10k of pellets into my box over the past two years. Add 20 plus tins of pellets to my 2-3 kilo box, and that would make my box a tad too heavy to move around easy. If you don't plan on moving it at all, just use a stick to push it back into place over the pellet strike holes. easy.
    Daystate MK4
    Air Arms Prosport

Now that is a good idea and one that I will try next as the goop is getting messy and I had to clen some off my hands again today. Quite high density rubbber I guess.

Thirdwheel

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Been using the same big blob of mait for years, I just kneed it around a bit when the pellets get too concentrated.

Good point on the weight of the pellets though - I have been thinking it weighs a ton! And I just thought I was getting old and weak
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

Working well and absorbing the pellets, think I will keep using it over the long term and see how it goes, it is very quiet.

Thirdwheel

Silent pellet trap

This is what I do.
    Take an old shallow baking tray melt lead in it to a depth of around 1/2 inch. When set tip it out then stand it behind your target,
    Your pellets will embed into the lead very quiet, and when the lead builds up re melt. Simples!
    Regards
    John

Wow at last someone has found a use for plumbers mait.

I used this years ago for jointing plumbing fittings it was awful back then but not as bad as boss white that stank of linseed oil.

Adam
    Be happy for what you got not for what you want.

Alternative. A box (cardboard/wooden) full of old clothes with your target taped over the open front. It's what I use in the garden at 12 ft/lbs and stops pellets noiselessly at 10 yards. I print my own targets if I want to be fancy, on scrap A4 paper, or just draw them freehand.

When the box gets heavy carefully shake out the shredded clothes, empty the scrap, and refill the box.

Obviously you'll have to use the wife's / daughter's old clothes 'cos like all blokes you'll be wearing yours.
    AA TX200, HFT 500, AS400 .22
    Daystate Grand Prix & Mk3
    Parker-Hale/PAX Phoenix Mk2: .22 & .177

I'm just going too high tec - cardboard box and old clothes, now why did I not think of this!

thirdwheel

I use one of those plastic stackable bins on its side, with 9mm ply in the bottom, and half filled with old newspaper.
    The A4 printed target is held with two bulldog clips (screwed in to position on the rim) at the top, and two hooks with an elastic band stretched between, to stop the bottom of the target flapping.