Thread: plumbers mait

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

plumbers mait

Having looked at lots of options and tried many out I have finally had a go at putting plumbers mait in my target pellet catcher. What I'm after is a silent pellet catcher as I shoot in the house at 6m with a pistol - I'm shooting lots at the moment to try and get somewhere near where I was 30 years ago - almost hopeless it seems, or do I think I was better than I really was.
    It seems to work well but I do hope it does not slowly gloop and fall out but what a mess it was getting it from the tubs and into the catcher.

Thirdwheel

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Interesting idea,though I guess you'll have to replace it regularly,once it's full of lead
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

I bought some, but never used it.

Use some of your collected waste pellets and melt them in a baking tray.

You'll find this is quite quiet.

Kind regards,

Phil
    Last edited by p.m.h; 28-09-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    I now have so many airguns I've had to make a list, which is >>HERE<<
    >>Classic Air Pistol Association<<
    >>North Manchester Target Club<<

I just use a thin bit of carpet in the back of the catcher, it deadens the noise a fair bit.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

I've used carpet as you said but it becomes blasted within a week. I have taken to gluing 4 bits together and leaving the carpet block loose in the catcher and yes it works fine but I like to experiment and saw on US sites they were using a goopy sealer and thought I would give it a go. I thought of using blue tack but thought I might get into trouble if I were to buy up all of the blue tac in the SE of England! Just waiting to see if it had gooped on to the floor this morning. Took a while to get off my hands as it sticks like s**t to a blanket. It's very quiet though.

Best cheers
    Thirdwheel

The way I've done it is to have 1/8 thick rubber sheet stuck to the back of the catcher (just glue the edges so you can replace easy) and as I have a particularly deep catcher I am able to hang a square of carpet in front of the rubber. The carpet slows the pellet the rubber deadens the sound and absorbs energy so the result is that pellet doesn't have enough left to bounce back out through the rubber. I replace the carpet with another square when needed. Works with sub 12 ft lbs.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.