Thread: Old air rifle identification.

Old air rifle identification.

Trolling round the local gun shops as I do I came across this: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airsniper/media/Airgun%20bits/SilverFox3.jpg.html?filters[user]=1811841&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2 rifle which, at first glance, I thought was a BSA break barrel. Well, its not.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airsniper/media/Airgun%20bits/Silverfox1.jpg.html?filters[user]=1811841&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airsniper/media/Airgun%20bits/SilverFox2.jpg.html?filters[user]=1811841&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

The condition isn't brilliant and the markings have faded. It is plainly marked 'SILVER FOX' and has the serial number (?) 359. There is a 'K' in a circle. It also has what looks like 'R-GUN', 'Made in Tokyo' ??? and 'STANDER'. Like I say, the marking are faded.

Has anyone any idea what it is.

Thank you for any help.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Looks to me like a Tokyo or Toko model.
    They made an Indian senior and Junior.

And a silver fox too?

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Looks to me like a Tokyo or Toko model.
    They made an Indian senior and Junior.

And a silver fox too?
    Thanks for that.

Ive just looked it up in The Blue Book Of Airguns and it does look like an Indian Senior model. Where did the 'Silver Fox' come in??? I couldn't see a Indian head on the cylinder.

ATB
    Ian

You weren't by any chance wearing a red hat on your travels?
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    You weren't by any chance wearing a red hat on your travels?
    i have to take my little red hat with me.

I need to stand on it to see over the shop counter.

Ian,

I'm at work so I can't view photobucket. I'll try to make time to look at the photos when I get home tomorrow.

I don't recall a 'Silver Fox' in any of my literature, however I don't think it's anything to do with Indian. The Blue Book is a bit misleading. Indian's were made by Indian, and later it seems like the company became Nakaya-Indian. I have catalogues from both companies. They were not 'Made by Tokyo' as the Blue Book suggests, the markings 'Made by (indian head logo) Tokyo' were simply misinterpreted. Smiths book is also misleading.

I should be able to tell a bit more when I've seen the photos. It sounds like one of the many different brands, all pretty similar, that were made or assembled in Japan from pre-war years through to the 1960's. Not sure what 'stander' could mean, although some models might be marked 'standard'. The K in circle might not be a K, it could be the kanji character for 'large', which if worn could look similar to a sideways K. Many brands were offered in small, medium and large, particularly pre-war. 'R-GUN' is most likely 'AIR-GUN'

Did you buy it, or is it still for sale?
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tantomurata View Post
    Ian,

I'm at work so I can't view photobucket. I'll try to make time to look at the photos when I get home tomorrow.

I don't recall a 'Silver Fox' in any of my literature, however I don't think it's anything to do with Indian. The Blue Book is a bit misleading. Indian's were made by Indian, and later it seems like the company became Nakaya-Indian. I have catalogues from both companies. They were not 'Made by Tokyo' as the Blue Book suggests, the markings 'Made by (indian head logo) Tokyo' were simply misinterpreted. Smiths book is also misleading.

I should be able to tell a bit more when I've seen the photos. It sounds like one of the many different brands, all pretty similar, that were made or assembled in Japan from pre-war years through to the 1960's. Not sure what 'stander' could mean, although some models might be marked 'standard'. The K in circle might not be a K, it could be the kanji character for 'large', which if worn could look similar to a sideways K. Many brands were offered in small, medium and large, particularly pre-war. 'R-GUN' is most likely 'AIR-GUN'

Did you buy it, or is it still for sale?
    Thanks for the reply and I look forward to your further observations when you have seen the photos, which, unfortunately aren't that clear.

No, I didn't buy the rifle as the shop owner didn't know its value and, to be honest, its not in keeping with my collection.

ATB
    Ian

I've had a look at the photo's, and it does look like a typical Japanese springer, of which there were many different makers and brands. (Penguin, Eagle, Rabbit, Comet, Condor, Fuji, san-K, Indian, KFC, SKB, Atom, etc, etc)
    A picture of the markings might have been useful, however as you don't mention any Japanese markings on the side of the breech block (typically pre-war tax exempt markings) I suspect that it's most likely 1950's manufacture.
    I collect vintage Japanese air rifles & vintage Japanese pellets
    Information sought about antique firearms with Japanese markings, do you have one ?

Ive just be informed that this rifle has gone to a fellow collector. I love a happy ending.

ATB
    Ian