Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ452 American

CZ452 American

Well what can I say....FAC dropped on mat yesterday morning, yesterday afternoon I was the owner of a CZ452 and today I have been out for a zeroing session and ammo test.

Before getting my FAC I had fired a friends 455th and was mightily impressed so initially had set my heart on that model.

Went to Kexby guns near Gainsborough and perused his selection.
    He had a 455 set up on offer but showed me what else was available including the 452 which he said he would also do as a package and proceeded to set it up as it would be sold.
    After handling them both the difference in weight was apparent and although the 455th was comfortable, it was noticeably heavier than the 452 and the 452 seemed to sit more comfortably in my hands so based on those criteria, I opted for the lightweight comfort and the 452 was mine.

So on to today and shooting it.

It was a brand new, out of the box gun and I had heard stories of them needing bedding in so didnt really know what to expect.
    I had 3 different brands of ammo to try, Winchester, Hornaday and Remington, all 17gr.

Set up the targets and loosed off a few shots not expecting too much until I had got the zero somewhere near.
    Initially the shots seemed to be all over the place but quickly settled down to produce reasonable groups...not brilliant though which I put down to the newness of the rifle and also it was quite a breezy day and I wasnt shooting from a steady rest.

What I did notice was on firing, there was a noticeable kick which was upwards and to the left which meant I didnt see the aim point which I had done on my mates 455. His 455 didnt recoil as much as this and I never lost sight of the aim point when I pulled the trigger.
    No matter how careful I was this was still present. I am not saying it shouldnt be there as I realise there will be a small recoil but in this instance I think the difference was due to the longer barrel of my gun and its lighter weight as opposed to my friends varmint barrel @ 16" and heavier weight. I will stress that its just an observation and accuracy was still good but groups not brilliant.

After that I just decided to fire off a few shots just as a loosening up exercise and by the time I had shot around 40 shots, accuracy did seem to be improving.
    Trigger pull seemed ok but after shooting my mates who has a Yo Dave trigger kit on it, I think I am going to change it as with the kit there is far less pressure required.

All in all first impression out of the box are good, its comfortable and light and accurate.
    The different types of ammo seemed to make no difference but no doubt I will develop a favourite as I get to use it more and it beds itself in properly.

As a package I cannot knock it.
    Gun, moderator and 3-12x50 scope for £500.

Sounds like you've been spoiled by your Freind letting you try his

Quote Originally Posted by V8 90 View Post
    Sounds like you've been spoiled by your Freind letting you try his
    He's a bugger spoiling me with the good stuff...

Iv got the CZ American but dont know what model number it is. I bought it new about ten years ago
    and its fine so i would suggest you keep using it and see if accuracy improves. You dont say what you
    are using it for, I used mine in the Lincolnshire light weight sporting rifle comp and it performed well.
    It was me that was the weak link.
    They are light compared to some but i like light guns so not a problem for me, if you are shooting
    standing up un-aided you will start to sway about a bit so dont hang on once you have taken aim. The
    longer you hold on target before firing the more you will sway.
    At the end of the day if you really dont get on with it you can always chop it in as theres always a market
    for nice second hand CZ,s. Keep us upto date with how your getting on with it. Have fun. Tim

Thanks Tim,

Should have said, its the HMR and it will mainly be used on Rabbits.
    Dont know of any ranges that allow HMRs on so targetwork is out.

I have a 452 American .17hmr too I bought it new recently, I got the yo Dave trigger set but didn't use it in the end as I felt the trigger even though a tough heavy it was perfect for hunting and I had no creep at all in the trigger. I use a sidewinder 30 4-16 can hit empty shotgun cartridge ends at 110 yards zeroed for that range as the average bullet speed was 6010FPS through my gun. Its almost too easy to shoot I noticed no kick at all, so little that my 8year old nephew was able to hit a Clay Pigeon right in the center at 100yards.

Sprackles..

As I have said on several other forums the 17 HMR is a shooters gun..... the more you use it the better you will become with it..... It is an extremely accurate rifle.
    I too use the CZ American.
    Yes in windy conditions over 100 yds.. it can move off line slightly .... but you learn to compensate for that .....
    We regularly use it taking rabbits out to 150 -160 yds.... and the odd fox...... NO PROBLEMS...
    On here and other shooting sites you will find there are those who cannot stand them and are very vocal about it.
    Those of us who have got used to them and can shoot them, think that it is an EXCELLENT rifle.
    Keep using it and you too will become a convert ....

Cheers David.

I second the 'Marmite' opinion. Some folk love CZs, others won't touch them. I've come across a similar enmity between Tikka owners and Remington men. Whatever you like is best for you. Just keep plugging away.

In the good old USA CZ sell a sub-machine gun. Watch out, bunnies......

452s

Ive got a friend with a 452 hmr, its a cracking gun,spot on reliable 10/10

Cz 452

I also have a cz 452 in 22 put hundreds of rounds through it with no problems but recentley will not eject an unfired round will eject when fired have cleaned rifle ,cleaned bolt changed, ammo still the same any ideas ?

Cz452 american

Have been thinking of getting a CZ myself have seen some good packages on offer which included scope moderator and a bipod the highest price still under 500 quid ! Although I really liked the look of the Varmint something has been drawing my eye towards the sleek looking American, having read your review of the rifle it has highlighted some of the differences when squeezing the trigger that can be found using the different combinations. Thanks for the info

Just bought a brand new CZ452 American for £256 in a closing down sale. Plenty of cash left over for glass and a mod. If it doesn't work as well as I think it should then I shouldn't lose too much money at all. Happy days
    AirArms S510 Carbine .22 and a G10 repeater that struggles to push a pellet out of the barrel

diamondc1. I had this with my .22 452. I simply gave the extractor claws area a really good clean making sure they are not damaged etc
    and away she went. Not had a problem since. I seem to remember reading they are quite tight in the chamber so any crud will soon cause
    problems. I clean mine a couple of times a year wether it needs it or not and its been brilliant. Tim

I found the Winchester Super X Sub Sonics worked best in mine.

+1 for win subs