Thread: Webley Senior trigger tune

Question Webley Senior trigger tune

I have a 1950's Webley Senior in very good condition. I have stripped and lubed it as well as fitting a new spring. Is there any way I can improve the heavy trigger action. Thanks
    Dave

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    I have a 1950's Webley Senior in very good condition. I have stripped and lubed it as well as fitting a new spring. Is there any way I can improve the heavy trigger action. Thanks
    Dave
    not really had a go at "tuning" one of these triggers and the biggest thing found with the Webley pistols is the weight of the trigger is largely due to the mainspring.
    Unless you are after out and out power, then a few coils off the mainspring (and refinishing may help).

You have to be really careful doing anything to the face of the sear that holds the piston and unless there is an obvious burr or mark, would leave that face alone.
    Check that the sides of the sear and it,s housing are free from burrs and the same for the trigger, as you often get burrs round the pin holes. I usually stone the sides of trigger or use wet and dry paper. Once it is free from burrs, I would use something like Gn paste on the housing and components.
    You could try altering the trigger spring for feel (I dont know if yours is coil or leaf spring) but like I said earlier, a softer/shorter mainspring is the best way.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    not really had a go at "tuning" one of these triggers and the biggest thing found with the Webley pistols is the weight of the trigger is largely due to the mainspring.
    Unless you are after out and out power, then a few coils off the mainspring (and refinishing may help).

You have to be really careful doing anything to the face of the sear that holds the piston and unless there is an obvious burr or mark, would leave that face alone.
    Check that the sides of the sear and it,s housing are free from burrs and the same for the trigger, as you often get burrs round the pin holes. I usually stone the sides of trigger or use wet and dry paper. Once it is free from burrs, I would use something like Gn paste on the housing and components.
    You could try altering the trigger spring for feel (I dont know if yours is coil or leaf spring) but like I said earlier, a softer/shorter mainspring is the best way.
    Wise words from Guy. Do NOT touch the sear/ trigger mating surfaces, only the sides and the housing.
    Pete.

Thank you Guy and Pete. Will try removing a few coils as I only need it for 10 metres max
    Dave

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post

Contrary to this both I and friend at our club bought Seniors - I kept my trigger as it left the factory.
    He however polished the sear and piston collar and much improved his own.
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....Senior-trigger
    I have fired the gun myself both before and after and can confirm that his trigger is much smoother than my own and a very worthwhile improvement.
    (I haven't done the same to mine as I prefer to keep it in un-stripped condition - however if it ever does come apart I will do the same mod.)

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    As I have already said, the mainspring is the main cause of the trigger being heavy. I bought the Senior off Crusader recently and stripped and lubed it. I barely touched the sear/piston mating face, but made sure the sides of sear and trigger were ok and no burrs in the housing. I even polished the trigger and trigger spring where they meet. I used Gn paste on them and the thing is quite acceptable. Thinking about it, ( not going to alter the mainspring on this one) I guess you could either try another home made trigger spring or retemper and bend yours. So long as it keeps the trigger pushing the sear up, it should be ok. A weaker trigger spring would make the initial pull easier.
    Anyone else prefer the Senior trigger to the Mk1 or Premier?
    Last edited by ggggr; 14-10-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Stiff Senior Trigger

On my late 40's Senior I found the trigger action unacceptably harsh, despite cleaning, inspection and lubing.
    Wondering why Webley changed this one-piece sear for a composite sear in the mid 50's I set out to buy such later model with a nicely polished pin on which the trigger engages. It also came with the later blade trigger spring that replaced the little but very stiff coil spring that had collapsed sideways somewhat.
    The difference is remarkable: nice and smooth trigger action, albeit with a longish creep now more noticable. In all a very suave pistol, very 'Senior' like!
    Regards, Mike

I also swapped the coil trigger spring in my Senior to the new "hair-grip" shaped type made from wide flat spring steel and it is a lot smoother.

The newly fitted coil spring on mine also bent over and made the trigger feel rough in comparison to the new type.

Well worth doing on a Senior I would suggest.......as long as it fits.

This new "flat "spring replaced the original coil spring in 1955 I believe but Webley still advertised the old coil type as the correct replacement part for years afterwards and to further confuse things they also left the drilled spring hole in the trigger to take it as well!

...this is how my Senior ended up with a scratchy coil spring in the trigger - we thought it was the correct part!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.