View Poll Results: Rimfire or air rifle for LSR competitions/

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rimfire

13 65.00%
  • Air rifle

7 35.00%

Thread: What do you use for LSR competitions?

What do you use for LSR competitions?

Hi guys,

I've always used my rimfire for LSR competitions, but I'm curious as to what everyone else is using.

My club has recently banned the use of air rifles on the 25 yard indoor range, I won't go into the reasons for this, but I've argued the case that we're preventing both existing and potential new members from participating in this discipline.

It would be useful to have your feedback in time for our next committee meeting next week.

Cheers,

Mark.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Personally I use a rimfire,but as air rifles are allowed to be used in LSR competitions,and I know plenty of people who do use them,it seems rather unfair that your club is now excluding them.
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

My club has recently banned the use of air rifles on the 25 yard indoor range, I won't go into the reasons for this
    It might be more useful if you gave the reasons. There are ways to work around the more common objections to the use of airguns on rimfire ranges. The usual issue is pellets and linatex, but this can be overcome quite easily with a slot in pellet catcher. If there are other problems, then there are probably answers for those as well.

Rutty

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    It might be more useful if you gave the reasons. There are ways to work around the more common objections to the use of airguns on rimfire ranges. The usual issue is pellets and linatex, but this can be overcome quite easily with a slot in pellet catcher. If there are other problems, then there are probably answers for those as well.

Rutty
    In a nutshell, you're right, but that wasn't really the purpose of the post. We've discussed this for hours and hours over a couple of committee meetings trying to agree what's acceptable to meet the criteria set out in the NSRA range construction manual. I don't really want to have the same conversations here again.

I'm just interested in understanding how many people who shoot in LSR comps. use air rifles.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate your post though.

Cheers,

Mark.

We have two teams of three shooting LSR this season. Five out of six of the shooters use air-rifles.

They use linatex backing at NSRA Aldersley and air-rfiles are allowed on that range for LSR and Bench.

Our club has a number of three person teams shooting in the county leagues, and we are pretty much split down the middle in terms or air and rim.

One night of the week is specifically for rimfire indoors and thats when the LSR cards are shot. There are other times when the airgunners can shoot their cards using the bird table pellet catchers.

It works well, we just dont shoot air and rim at the same time on the indoor range.

Tony

I shoot both rimfire and air rifle for LSR.

But when it comes to competition cards I always use my air rifle mainly because I shoot with it a lot more than my rimfire.

I have heard people say that it an unfair advantage but to me that is nonsense I could shoot rimfire just as well with the same amount of practice.

As for shooting both together, why not as long as its safe!

Pellets don't need to be shot at linatex we have material screens to place in front so we could shoot half and half if we so wished.

Adam
    Be happy for what you got not for what you want.

We had enough problems getting LSR at my club, I use both air and rimfire we have about a 50/50 mix throughout the 20 plus people that shoot the discipline. There are some people that just look for problems when there are none. We have just had our range re assessed by the NSRA and no mention of us having problems with air rifles being used.

Iain D
    FWB 700 Universal, FWB65, Anschuz 1913, BSA Martini MK5, CZ452

Bournemouth Smallbore Rifle and Pistol club we use both rim and air for LSR with no issues yes we have linatex but we use pellet catchers for air weapons i am sure that the NRSA say that you can use hanging curtains of hessian in front of the linatex negating the need for pellet catchers as the stops any chance of the pellets rebounding
    .177 STEYR HUNTING SCOUT SA FULL CARBON SHROUD BUSHNELL ELITE 4200

At NSRA Aldersley, they use hanging hessian-type material in front of the Linatex. Targets are pinned or taped to hessian in frames. The rimfire range is probably the most recently built in the UK so I would imagine it's up to the latest standard.
    Last edited by Powderfinger; 03-10-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: clarity

Guys,

Thanks for all the votes. Any one else?

Cheers,

Mark.

I use both, Air rifle for 20 Yard, .22 semi auto for timed (I tried bolt action, but you try loading five rounds in 10 seconds....)

No problem at the club, shoot at suspended targets against the 25M backstop.

...although the semi auto tends to clear the range when three of us are shooting

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308