Thread: Parcelforce

Parcelforce

I posted here a couple of weeks since, regarding the refusal by the Post Office to accept an air rifle for delivery in the U.K. As it happened the person I was sending it to, lives only 55 miles away, so we decided to meet half way and it all worked out O.K.
    I then this week, found myself in the position of having to send another one, I returned to the same P.O.(without the package) and spoke to the person in charge, pointing out their own advice sheet regarding prohibited and restricted items, which clearly shows that, 'guns for sporting use' will be accepted by Royal Mail and Parcelforce. She was happy to accept that I had been mis-informed on my previous visit. The outcome is that I dispatched the gun from the P.O. on Monday via Parcelforce 48 (this ensures that it will not be sent by air), it arrived at its destination within 48 hours without problem.
    Mel.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Nice to know it all worked out.
    If I'm asked what's in a parcel I usually say summat like "spring compressor" or "alignment guage". The last one I sent she just asked if it contained any prohibited items, to which I truthfully replied "no".
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

I must be doing something wrong, I've never yet been asked what's in a parcel.

TBH, if its not a prohibited item, as far as I'm concerned its none of their business exactly what it is. Rather than have a discussion about carrying airguns I'd probably just lie. Maybe I'm a bad man but life's too short.

(Just to avoid confusion, I am NOT saying I would try to send a prohibited item by lying about it. Just that I can't be bothered explaining their own rules to them)

Some good advice here and glad it worked out Mel.

I've described rifle shaped boxes as ornamental wood carvings in the past and Dennis Hiller once told me he used "Antique Pneumatic Curio" as a description.

Regards,
    John

Despite what appears to be the increasing number of incidents involving pistols failing to reach their destinations when sent via RM or PF I have have no problems recently. Perhaps Im just lucky.

Mind you I do find being asked to state whats in a each parcel in front of a line of people at the PO irritating to say the least. What about confidentiality? Whats the point I ask myself? They dont make a note of what you say and dont routinely check whats in there anyway.

Depending on my mood at the time I say whatever comes into my head - a teleporter, pvc underpants, a set of false teeth and yesterday, a small ceramic bust of Hermann Goring. I find that this works best if stated with an absolutely straight face and look of concern if they raise an eyebrow or look confused. The positive side to this is that it has added a small element of entertainment to the boring task of posting parcels.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Despite what appears to be the increasing number of incidents involving pistols failing to reach their destinations when sent via RM or PF I have have no problems recently. Perhaps Im just lucky.

Mind you I do find being asked to state whats in a each parcel in front of a line of people at the PO irritating to say the least. What about confidentiality? Whats the point I ask myself? They dont make a note of what you say and dont routinely check whats in there anyway.

Depending on my mood at the time I say whatever comes into my head - a teleporter, pvc underpants, a set of false teeth and yesterday, a small ceramic bust of Hermann Goring. I find that this works best if stated with an absolutely straight face and look of concern if they raise an eyebrow or look confused. The positive side to this is that it has added a small element of entertainment to the boring task of posting parcels.

Have you considered seeing someone for this affliction

My local post office never ask any questions and I would tell them straight if they asked,it's not as though we are posting illegal substances or contraband.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

Have you considered seeing someone for this affliction

My local post office never ask any questions and I would tell them straight if they asked,it's not as though we are posting illegal substances or contraband.
    We are simple village folk and must make our own entertainment

In fairness, I suspect that the PO staff are only following orders. Still, we are "all in it together" so they will also have to suffer the consequences........