Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: older scopes which ones?

older scopes which ones?

I have an older HW35 E coming soon.
    To keep the vintage look and feel to it can someone please mention some scope names. brands and models that would suit please.?

So far I have , optima and tasco.

Thanks

Hw35

Also look for Kassner and Hako scopes. Mach 1.5

And Jap' made Nikko Stirlings from the period.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    And Jap' made Nikko Stirlings from the period.
    Got to be an Optima Moonlighter

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    Got to be an Optima Moonlighter
    He already said Optima

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    All the aforementioned makes.

Wouldn't go for something too big. 40mm Objective max.
    “An airgun or two”………

Good scopes

i have a tasco titan 3-9x42 german no4 ret/ jap optics i am thinking of selling

Titan's were an early 90's scope. Prior to them were the Euroclass which were probably the finest scopes Tasco ever made; 30mm tubes. First Titans were good but later ones something isn't quite the same????

And look for a o/p Apel mount. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=55 They were all the rage in the 70s. Dont forget they come in two sizes for the HWs. 11 & 13mm for the older guns.
    'Optima or Tasco' My preference would be for a nice Tasco 2-7x32 AG (Jap).

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I.J. I thought you had hoovered all the Apel mounts up worldwide They do look the biz with older rifles and period scopes.

Early Nikko Stirling are good scopes but the trouble is finding them in good nick. Lots and lots of later ones out there but that is not what we want.
    RWS had some sharp early scopes, so did Rhino.
    Tasco but again its finding early ones. I paid well over the odds for one last year but it was pretty mint. By 1986 they had quite a range with the Prohorn and TR ranges coming through. By 1992 things started to change. Some Tasco's are fantastic, others not so, and by the end pretty shocking. Tricky to find a good'un.
    B&L are my favourite from 1990's onwards.

Now both BSA and Webley did have some scopes and depending on who they got to make them they can be excellent or average. Have a Webley Gold and its lovely. Had a BSA once from 1979 and that was superb. Trouble is I can never find any so I just don't think they ever brought them in in numbers, or at all some years. Don't know but they are scarce.

Sterling arms had a range as did Sussex Armoury; non were that great.

Whatever make, then a 4x40 fixed is a good bet with little to get wrong. They look right too on a sporting rifle and better than a 4x32. Shed loads of 4x42 sold though. 3-9x40 are fine too but few stay focused perfectly at high mag at air rifle ranges; even those made for air rifles. All the ?x56's, which were the rage mid 80's, were masked and gave a horrible tunnel effect. Just shows that not everyone could do big mag and objective and get it right. The worst was Tasco's ?x50 front parallax; shockingly poor scope.
    The big cheat was changing lens coatings. I don't know for sure but it seems to me that when a new range was launched the first year they used one coating and once established made some savings. Some day I'm going to sit down and go through all the glass colours to work out whats what and by who.

I've said this more than once: "Mint rifles two a penny; mint scopes rare as hens teeth."

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    The worst was Tasco's ?x50 front parallax; shockingly poor scope.
    JD swore by his 3-9x50 Tasco AG... he swapped to this scope after using an Optima Super Moonighter...

Is that the Tasco you mean?

I have one and I rather like it

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I.J. I thought you had hoovered all the Apel mounts up worldwide They do look the biz with older rifles and period scopes.

The worst was Tasco's ?x50 front parallax; shockingly poor scope.
    Ive got to admit I have a couple of Apels I picked up over the years and on my travels.

That 'Tasco ?x50'. Was it the one with the large objective lens and image smaller than some 4x20s?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I was never impressed with the Super Moonlighter either, preferring the Moonlighter. The two Tasco 3-9x50 (AG??) I had gave a really tunnel vision effect from the amount of masking and the light gathering wasn't much cop either. One came on a Air Logic so that might date it.
    JD knew how to shoot and hunt an air rifle but he could use just about any rifle combination to get the job done. His HW80 was quite a lump but that is what you needed to tame the spring action. Got very drunk with him once. Very good shots can get most kit to work. Some of it was sponsorship (in the case of JD some of it was whacky backy, but he could sure shoot well).
    The first batch of Jap scopes were really good for their time; a revelation. The airgun market for scopes was a new, well scopes could be made to a price that made it all possible. Soon competition and keeping the price realistic took its toll.
    Last edited by Muskett; 04-10-2013 at 11:44 AM.

i got a couple of 1980-s-Japanese optics Scopes For Sale in the Scope Section

Thanks lads......
    Plenty to go at there.
    I live in the USA at the moment. A certain auction site is loaded with old Tasco's at super low prices. Not sure how many are A/G rated though?? Lots of 3-9 x 32 jap scopes around.
    There is also a few Bushnell scopechief's around , which actually are made by Bosch and lomb.

Theres no rush in buying.........i'll wait for some minters to come up.