Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mid-late 80s FT Scopes

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    One thing I did notice with my Optima/Hakko was the very narrow field of adjustment. It wasn't just that example either because I spoke with another owner. To make most use of the B.D.C. you had to pack the mounts (good old 35mm film negative) so that your zero, 30 yards in my case, was at the bottom of your elevation travel if you know what I mean. If you optically centred the scope you didn't have enough elevation travel left for those longer ranged shots. Still, once sorted, I was pleased with its performance and optics. I dont know if this is the case with the large Tasco.

HTH
    Ian
    Yeah, I had read that also. I have an old adjustable mount I was hoping of using or posible get a new adjustable sportsmatch.

Only concern with the Tasco is I have read of a few people have them fall apart on them.

The Bausch and Lomb would be my preference. Built like tanks

Just figured the Tasco might be cheaper.

Really fancy getting my .177 Zephyr 77 set up as an FT rifle. As it should have been.

Or a pre EFR 6.5-20 Leup??? I seemed to remember Zieler doing I high mag scope as well.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hrm... my first 'proper' FT scope (well 2nd hand when I bought it in the early 90s) probably came from the right-ish period.

It was a fixed mag 30x56. Unbranded, but apparently made by Hakko.

It had been retro-fitted with a 'Dragon' multi aim point ret (made by Graham Bluck, of Dragon SSP rifle fame). Somebody said those rets were printed on photo neg, and if you pointed the scope at the sun, it would destroy the ret! I never tested the theory

The scopes I remember being used on springers at that time were Tasco 6-24s. Considered 'almost' a FT scope. And the 90s models did fall apart... I only knew one guy who did well with a Tasco, and his was an old one. Also, he was a really good shot

Yep, that's put me off the Tasco lol. Any idea how to tell the old ones apart from the newer ones?

Looks like B&L then. Thing a Loop will be out of my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by brucegill View Post
    Yep, that's put me off the Tasco lol. Any idea how to tell the old ones apart from the newer ones?
    I dunno, but they all seemed to get loose / sloppy at the mag ring and PX ring after a bit of use

You could cheat and get a mildot Tasco Varmint 6-24: http://www.tasco.com/products/index....&ProductID=665

Looks a bit like a TR

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I dunno, but they all seemed to get loose / sloppy at the mag ring and PX ring after a bit of use

You could cheat and get a mildot Tasco Varmint 6-24: http://www.tasco.com/products/index....&ProductID=665

Looks a bit like a TR
    nope

Had a few TR?? scopes in all kinds of condition, most with the double cross rangefinder system. They had all the toys and pretty good glass but seemed to get hammered by use. I'm pretty sure build quality changed over the years or machinery got worn. I've kept one 4-16 with no target turret and a normal plex. Most of these Jap scopes had wire cross hairs and they do break. One reason Simmons with their WTC scopes did so well in the early 90's is that their build quality a green glass was so good. Later they then moved production and were never quite the same.

Leupold was the quality optics of its day. All the toys and at a reasonable price. Weaver, Redfield, Burris and Bushnell never really got over to this side of the pond though there were some about. Pecar, Meopter never really did it for me and anything else in the 80's was the cost of a kidney.

B&L is my favourite at present though in truth its their 90's scopes as their earlier ones are hard to find and a bit quirky. Importantly they can be had with front PA and either in gloss or a nice matt. Glass is as good as it gets and its green; the plex is a nice one too. (Wonder if Simmons used these coatings later???). They were the highest end that Bushnel ever did and B&L were a British owned optics company then; possibly still are. I've paid between £120 and £260 for a mint B&L. Just bought a Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000 4x-12x 40mm PA Riflescope because I couldn't resist it for £260. Now that is a lot more than a "springer" scope should be and too much for a factory rifle. However, for a custom or Venum, well something special, then the B&L are just about a good as it gets. Leupold would work too but in truth they are better known for powder burners.
    A B&L on a Venom HW77: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...IMG_3971_2.jpg

And on a Park (Now changed to another 4-12 B&L but Matt): http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...IMG_3967_2.jpg

For everything else its a mix of anything I could find that suited and worked. The biggest problem is condition to match the rifle and period. KISS is best so 4x40's are fine and 3-9x40 nice. No parallax then few variables can stay sharp at close ranges. Parallax on cheap scopes as well a BDC's just show up where the costs were kept down; just more to go wrong. I've had to trade a lot of scopes to get ones I want to keep. I've even paid well over the odds for a mint early Tasco because I was sick of waiting... they don't come up often in good nick. All these older, middle to low end, scopes are a gamble because any can fail.

Finally, the best optically are still very good but many are now showing their age and don't compare well to some of the new glass offered now. Heck, you can still buy some pretty poor scopes whoes build quality is pretty shocking.

Many thanks mate. Might have a B&L gloss black 6-24x40 lined up (fingers crossed). It's for my .177 Zephyr 77 so suitably special

Appreciate the help and info.

ATB
    Bruce

Got the B&L on its way to me Any one happen to have a spare sunshade for one in gloss black let me know

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Will be selling some TRs shortly.