Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mid-late 80s FT Scopes

mid-late 80s FT Scopes

Hi guys

Can anyone recommend a good FT scope from mid to late 80's for me? It's for a HW77 Zephyr... Not tried FT before but fancy a go with some period kit

Anyone have one for sale?

Thanks and best
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by brucegill View Post
    Hi guys

Can anyone recommend a good FT scope from mid to late 80's for me? It's for a HW77 Zephyr... Not tried FT before but fancy a go with some period kit

Anyone have one for sale?

Thanks and best
    Bruce
    Have a look at a Tasco 6-24 x 40 TR there is one on e-bay at the moment ( unless some one bought it already )

ATB
    Will.

Thanks mate. I think it's gone

Any other recommendations?

Tasco ag 2-7x32 if you can find one

Quote Originally Posted by spanishshooter View Post
    Tasco ag 2-7x32 if you can find one
    Thanks mate. Got one of those (unfortunately the coatings have been rubbed off the rear lens ) but fancy a higher mag and target turrets. But, I've no Idea when these sort of scopes came out.

Have a look at this one Weihrauch 4x40 AO e bay No 300981311954

Read the bottom of the thread and its a buy it now for £70 inc mounts

Will.

Yeah, seen that! Looks nice and very tempting!! How on earth people managed to rangefind with such low mag is beyond me! Just seeing a target at 55 yard on x4 sounds impossible lol

The classic were the Tasco 6-24 x 40 TR and 4-16 but I think they were quite late 80's if not 1990. Anyhow people had all kinds of stuff and most were basically their hunting set ups. Others here will know more. Frankly 3-9x was about all that anyone had in the early 80's or they went with a Leupold. Leupold was ahead of its time with 2nd focal and loads of magnification for varmint shooting; they also could be found with front parallax. Top end European scopes were quality but stuck in the past. The British Army snipers had upgraded to 10x; woopee! To compete in the American market Jap optics started to produce scopes with all the toys; my preferred are B & Lomb. The rest is history, we are surely spoilt now.

A 4x will give you a perfectly good sight picture to 30m on typical vermin.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    The classic were the Tasco 6-24 x 40 TR and 4-16 but I think they were quite late 80's if not 1990. Anyhow people had all kinds of stuff and most were basically their hunting set ups. Others here will know more. Frankly 3-9x was about all that anyone had in the early 80's or they went with a Leupold. Leupold was ahead of its time with 2nd focal and loads of magnification for varmint shooting; they also could be found with front parallax. Top end European scopes were quality but stuck in the past. The British Army snipers had upgraded to 10x; woopee! To compete in the American market Jap optics started to produce scopes with all the toys; my preferred are B & Lomb. The rest is history, we are surely spoilt now.

A 4x will give you a perfectly good sight picture to 30m on typical vermin.
    Thanks very much for taking the time to answer mate! Appreciate the info.

Will keep an eye out for a B&L

I don't want to take it all too seriously but fancy something with enough mag to range find.

The fixed x4 are fantastic for hunting and I might even try one for HFT. I like using older springers and they look silly with modern scopes. But, as you say, we're pretty spoilt these days.

Thanks again
    B

My Mastersport FWB124 has always been fitted with a Zeiss 3-9 x 36. Fabulous little scope - optically superb, with a fine duplex reticle.
    My slightly newer PCP scopes are Leupolds, mainly with custom PR reticles.
    I agree that some of the original 6-24x Japanese Tasco scopes are eminently capable,
    and I have to confess to a love affair with the original Tasco Super Sniper 10 x 42, but I can't remember when they were introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Dijon View Post
    My Mastersport FWB124 has always been fitted with a Zeiss 3-9 x 36. Fabulous little scope - optically superb, with a fine duplex reticle.
    My slightly newer PCP scopes are Leupolds, mainly with custom PR reticles.
    I agree that some of the original 6-24x Japanese Tasco scopes are eminently capable,
    and I have to confess to a love affair with the original Tasco Super Sniper 10 x 42, but I can't remember when they were introduced.
    I'd love one of those Zeiss! Love the Nikko SS... not tried the Tasco but assume theyre the same.

Back in the days when I used to use a '77 for F.T. I seem to remember having some problems with access to the loading port and long scopes. Cold fingers and small fiddly pellets and all that. Venom used to relieve the port on one side and this was later done by the manufacturer.
    I did use, and still have an Optima 6-24x44 which I think was made by Hakko.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks Ian! Im struggling to find anything at the moment
    Cheers
    Bruce

One thing I did notice with my Optima/Hakko was the very narrow field of adjustment. It wasn't just that example either because I spoke with another owner. To make most use of the B.D.C. you had to pack the mounts (good old 35mm film negative) so that your zero, 30 yards in my case, was at the bottom of your elevation travel if you know what I mean. If you optically centred the scope you didn't have enough elevation travel left for those longer ranged shots. Still, once sorted, I was pleased with its performance and optics. I dont know if this is the case with the large Tasco.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk