Thread: The Webley Hurricane - Views please

The Webley Hurricane - Views please

Hi Guys,

I have an old Webley Junior pistol and a Webley Premier Mk1 that my son and I enjoy plinking with.

On impulse I bid on and won a Webley Hurricane at an auction recently and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Not sure if it's .177 or .22 but just looking for views on the Hurricane.

If the Hurricane is a good reliable shooter, I may sell the Premier as it's boxed and in excellent order, I'm not really a collector as such.

Quote Originally Posted by duofold View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have an old Webley Junior pistol and a Webley Premier Mk1 that my son and I enjoy plinking with.

On impulse I bid on and won a Webley Hurricane at an auction recently and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Not sure if it's .177 or .22 but just looking for views on the Hurricane.

If the Hurricane is a good reliable shooter, I may sell the Premier as it's boxed and in excellent order, I'm not really a collector as such.
    Hello,

As you are probably aware Webley began producing air pistols in 1924 with the introduction of the Mk1. The basic design and format remained relatively unchanged until the 1970s when manufacturing procedures were radically revised and alloy frames replaced traditional, more expensive, all steel construction.The first pistols made using the new processes were the Mk2 Junior and Mk2 Premier both of which retained the same dimensions as their all steel predecessors.

At around this time, Webley also faced some stiff competition from the German air gun industry who were producing larger more sophisticated air pistols specifically designed for target shooting. Webley's first response was the Hurricane which was much larger than their previous offerings and and featured better sights together with the greater sight radius resulting from the longer barrel.

A telescopic pistol sight could also fitted which made the pistol appear even more ungainly but was quite a popular accessory. The Typhoon was introduced shortly afterwards to replace the Junior and was smaller than Hurricane with a less powerful mainspring to suit younger users. Public reaction to both pistols was cool to say the least and after a relatively short time a more compact and popular design was launched in the form of the Tempest. This was basically a Hurricane with both front section and rear overhang cut off to return the more traditional size of the Premier and earlier Senior and Mk1.

To summarise, the Hurricane offers a more target oriented approach with better sights than the earlier pistols with the downside being its comparative large and rather ungainly appearance and handling.

Most Webley collectors tend to favour the early all steel pistols for their superior manufacturing quality and more compact design, but the later alloy framed pistols, particularly the Tempest, are becoming increasingly more desirable.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 04-10-2013 at 04:47 PM.

When the Hurricane arrives, try both and keep the one you prefer.
    Personally, I would keep the Premier.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Purely a personal view, but the Hurricane looks a bit of a dog, but fits the hand fantastically. I enjoy shooting mine now and again and it's a keeper because of this.

Dave

I thought a .177 Hurricane would be the ultimate Webley for putting shots into the black on a 10M match card, but it just wasn't.

I don't think the increased sight base works. Perhaps because the rear sight is closer to the eye, therfore more out of focus (for my eye).

I've been out today with a .22 Tempest (and Superdomes). Shooting at the plain back of match cards (to get the windage zero correct).

Shooting outdoors at 5, 10, and 20 yards (checking for any crossover type issues). I was able to tweak the sight, and hold within an inch L-R at 20 yds without flyers spoiling the groups.

I believe the .22 Tempest is the 'best' Webley for me. It handles the best, and is the only model that shoots in the same place with a single or two handed stance BTW.

Next time I go out I might have a different view, if I can't hit anything

I have a series 1 Hurracane in its box bought new in 1978 with my xmass money. I still use it. Yes theres a bit more plastic in her than the previous models(which i allso have and use) but its a nice pistol, sights are easier to adjust but like all webleys of the time that used this sight they break very easily. This pistol in my view often unfairly judged in competition with the previous models, they all are cracking pistols and all have a place in my collection, use it and enjoy.

Premier for me, wont be selling that one . I had a Hurricane but always thought it was a bit bulky, at the time I had a Mk1 which was more accurate. All in 177

Many thanks for the information guys

The Hurricane arrived today and I'll open the package tonight when I get home from work.

I'll update once I've given it a go.

I hope you enjoy the Hurricane.

But DON'T SELL the Premier.....they're utterly lovely, and you will regret it!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks Guys,

I'm getting some replacement grips made for the Hurricane - Left Handed, so I can actually shoot it and I've managed to remove the Safety Catch that gets in the way for left-handers too.

If Webley had made the casting for the Hurricane (and presumably the Tempest) a mirror image, then the Safety Catch could have been fitted to the right, allowing it to be used by left-handers. A choice of Left Handed or Right Handed Grips and this small detail would allow south paws to use these guns as intended.

Oh, and the blade in the rear sight is damaged, so I need one of these too.

It would be nice to see some pictures of your Hurricane when you get the replacement grips fitted and also hear how you get on when you actually get to shoot the pistol.

Regards

Brian